Budget upgrade

Associate
My ancient PC has finally died so need to do a budget upgrade. I'm looking to spend up to £300 for new mobo/CPU/RAM and a NVME boot drive.

I have got a midi tower case, 256 SSD, 500gb HD and powersupply that will be reused and hopefully picking up a 980ti from a friend.

Im not massive gamer (partially as old pc was past it!) so 1080p on high would be more than enough.

I'm quite out of date with current tech and have picked the below parts which i think should all be compatible - please point out any errors or if there's better options

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £286.06 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

Associate
I would have look at benchmarks comparing nvme to sata ssds in terms of speed to see if you feel its worth paying the extra. As you already have an ssd, you could use that as the boot drive and use the funds you would have spent on the nvme to upgrade another component.

Soldato
If you shop around you can find the AMD 2600 for around the £100-120 mark, a little more expensive than that 3200G but better for gaming and general use since you're planning on using a dedicated GPU anyway.

I'd also recommend checking the rainforest themed website for "Sabrent Rocket NvME" as you'll be able to get a 500gb high quality drive for the same price as that Corsair SSD. Although as mentioned by silk300, you don't necessarily need a new drive unless you're wanting more storage space.

Man of Honour
You haven't mentioned what power supply you have.
If it isn't a semi-decent one, I suggest dropping the nvme ssd (seeing as you already have a ssd - albeit a small one) and using the funds to get a decent PSU. A 980ti is a power hungry card.

Back
Top Bottom