Budgetish 2.1 Speakers

Associate
So I'm looking to replace my ancient Logitech 2.1 speaker set that have died.

Is there anything worth buying below £100?

I listen to some music and some gaming so nothing serious but something that will last and that doesn't require a sound card or amp to work.

There is a very good chance that I have insulted some of the more well informed in the above sentences and for that I apologise but I have come to you because I literally don't have a clue about speakers.

Thanks,
Andreas

Soldato
There are some fairly decent 2.1 sets to be had for around £40-£50 from Edifier and Microlab. I really wouldn't bother with Creative and Logitech's cheaper offerings. Edifier and Microlab are far better at the £50 price point.

Ideally £100 will buy better speakers, but the problem is that there is very little choice from £50 up to £100. The best 2.1 set for £100 are Harman Kardon Soundsticks III. They are head and shoulders above anything else for up to £100, but their funky styling puts some people off. Logitech Z623 are maybe an alternative, other than that, I don't think there's a great deal else.

Above £100, there isn't really anything worth considering until you get to Corsair SP2500 or Acoustic Energy Aego M, but both of those are nearer to £200 than £100.

If you're limited by desk space and what size speakers you can use, then 2.1 makes sense. If you're not though and have more space, then stereo speakers are far better value. Microlab Solo 6C put out a good amount of bass, are very well priced at around £75 and will sound far better than any 2.1 set costing similar money. They're fairly large though, but if you've got the room for them, personally, I'd take them over any 2.1 set.

Friend of mine not so long back got a pair of Solo 9C. We tried them out here so I could have a listen, and they sounded very good indeed. Personally for my taste, they were too big and they did put out too much bass, but I'd imagine that the 6C would be just right. They have the same 6.5" woofers that are in the 9C, just one per speaker instead of two.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks so much for the help, I will definitely consider the stereo speakers as space isn't too much of an issue. I hadn't even thought of them as an option but from what you've said I can't really see a downside. Plus £75 is right in the sweetspot as far as budget goes.

Thanks for your help,
Andreas

Soldato
Excuse the thread hijack but looks like you are sorted. I'm in a similar situation but space is an issue. I have some Edifier 1600Ts and while they sound great they take up too much room. I've thought about shelf/wall mounting them, but before I go down that road is there anything affordable on the market (sub £180) that produces a similar sound but are more compact?

Would the Acoustic Energy AE26-06B AEGO M 2.1 set produce a equal or better sound?

Soldato
Noted. Edging towards the Harman Kardon Soundsticks III, I think I can live with the design if they sound good. Something a bit different at the end of the day.

Associate
That guy must have tested it using motherboard's onboard audio without decent DAC/Soundcard together with 99p cable off the bay and blame the poor sound on the SP2500 :D

Yep, you're right. I spent £230 on some speakers (bought them when they were released). But years on, I still blame that damn motherboard audio and 99p speaker cable.

:rolleyes:

Soldato
Yep, you're right. I spent £230 on some speakers (bought them when they were released). But years on, I still blame that damn motherboard audio and 99p speaker cable.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, it definitely can't be your set-up as everyone else finds them terrible as well, oh wait, no they don't.

If you said they're not as good as people say and gave some reasoning, but 'they're ****' is not much help to anyone.

Associate
Yeah, it definitely can't be your set-up as everyone else finds them terrible as well, oh wait, no they don't.

If you said they're not as good as people say and gave some reasoning, but 'they're ****' is not much help to anyone.

Ok have it your way.

I haven't used a particularly special cable, it's the same I would use on any of my HIFI equipment.

I have a Xonar DX

I think they perform absolutely fine for games and most movies, but there is no getting around the fact that the sub is a puney 8" cone. It just can't get as low as you would expect for the money.

Then there are the quality control issues, have a search for SP2500 power supply issues. It has been reported a few times, Corsair wasn't having any of it when I asked them to repair my sub after it went pop, instead they offered to sell me a new remote on the grounds I could return it if it actually was the power supply- luckily I managed to trick PC World into accepting them back.

Not much else to put really, the OP doesn't sound like he's looking to spend that much, but someone else mentioned the Corsairs. Personally I would recommend you put your money elsewhere if you want some nice PC speakers!

Many people may rave about them- does that make them good? Or do these people just get them, turn them up and watch the windows rattle (yes they do go loud, but the bass gives up way before then anyway so it will sound like **** unless you're just listening to some Britney) and assume that makes them really good?

HTH

Soldato
Speed said:
Excuse the thread hijack but looks like you are sorted. I'm in a similar situation but space is an issue. I have some Edifier 1600Ts and while they sound great they take up too much room. I've thought about shelf/wall mounting them, but before I go down that road is there anything affordable on the market (sub £180) that produces a similar sound but are more compact?

Would the Acoustic Energy AE26-06B AEGO M 2.1 set produce a equal or better sound?

Aego M's are very good, but they are too expensive in my opinion. They can be had for £165, that I have seen, which is certainly much better than the silly £200 they are on some sites, but really £120 was just the right price for them.

It's a shame that the price has increased so much. Whilst they are still very good, the problem is that better speakers can be had for less, albeit not 2.1. So if you're paying £170 for speakers that aren't as good as stereo speakers costing half as much, then that doesn't make them a good purchase at that higher price.

HK SSIII are undoubtedly the best 2.1 speakers until you get to the Aego M and SP2500, but at £100, they are not overpriced.

There is the Logitech Z623, which a lot of people like. They've got that THX logo on them though, which I imagine sells a lot of units. I wonder how much cheaper they would be had Logitech not paid for the THX branding? ;)

Soldato
Aego M's are very good, but they are too expensive in my opinion. They can be had for £165, that I have seen, which is certainly much better than the silly £200 they are on some sites, but really £120 was just the right price for them.

It's a shame that the price has increased so much. Whilst they are still very good, the problem is that better speakers can be had for less, albeit not 2.1. So if you're paying £170 for speakers that aren't as good as stereo speakers costing half as much, then that doesn't make them a good purchase at that higher price.

HK SSIII are undoubtedly the best 2.1 speakers until you get to the Aego M and SP2500, but at £100, they are not overpriced.

There is the Logitech Z623, which a lot of people like. They've got that THX logo on them though, which I imagine sells a lot of units. I wonder how much cheaper they would be had Logitech not paid for the THX branding? ;)

aye we sold 5000 pairs never more than 149.99 most of the time around 109.99 + vat

I told the new distributor that when his business model fails to give me a shout :)

Back
Top Bottom