Build advice, £2k budget, what would you change? thanks guys

Associate
Basically, the time is approaching to upgrade mu current i5-3570k and 7970 build that has done me proud since 2012.

My machine will be used primarily for gaming, no streaming or editing or anything of that sort.

Also if someone doesn't mind recommending me a decent monitor that isn't going to destroy the bank any more as I'm pretty clueless.

Here is what I'm thinking, is there anything you would change, and if so, why? There is marginally more budget there however, preferably not.

I literally need whats in my basket + a monitor recommendation. I'm content with my hardware :)

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,907.87 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

IF the new GPU's are out before I go ahead then I will more than likely go with one of those as long as they're not horrifically priced.

Thanks for your input guys.

Soldato
For PSU Seasonic Focus Plus Gold is at least as good for £20 less.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seas...plus-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-05r-ss.html
80+ Platinum Seasonic would cost same as that EVGA.

Also unless you were to overclock 650W would be enough, especially considering gaming won't put CPU under full load.
That particular card peaks at 270W with 250W being average for gaming.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_1080_Ti_SC2/29.html

And what kind usage life you had planned for it?

At last time AMD was simply seriously behind in performance while hogging power, but Zen architecture made situation pretty even.
It's true that Coffee Lake has little advantage in most games, but it's dead end upgrade path wise and you'll be stuck on it until next major PC upgrade.
While Intel's CPU clock hasn't said proper tick or tock in years, CPU socket roulette has done so.
And you can bet when Intel comes out with actually improved architecture CPU (seems like late next year/2020) instead of another Skylake respin it isn't going to fit to current motherboards.

AMD again is going to support AM4 socket up to 2020 giving upgrade path to Zen2 architecture CPUs made on manufacturing process likely even with Intel's next process.
And those CPUs are very likely to beat Coffee Lake also in single core/thread performance.
So AMD platform PC could be very likely kept good performing for clearly longer time.

While CPU side has train moving again forward GPU side is still question mark.
There's certainly chance for current high end to lose lots of value in short time if competition starts heating up again.

Soldato
Better version of the gpu and flagship Gigabyte board. Shame the Alphacool Eisbaer 360mm is out of stock as it is great value for a 360mm AIO.

The Team Group SSD is also good value as you are getting almost twice the capacity for a few quid more.

The Phanteks case below is just an alternative.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,867.87 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Permabanned
Generally it's a solid build. I would change the storage:
250GB SSD - IMO is not big enough. For an OS and games drive I'd want 500GB.
2TB Hard Drive - IMO a hard drive in 2018 is a sin. Maybe stretch the SSD up to 1TB if you really need the space.

Associate
OP
HDD sizes admittedly are at the bottom of my comfort levels however they are adequate for my needs, I am running less in my current build and still have plenty of space :)

And thanks for the input regarding the PSU, they're alien to me, literally know nothing about them...

With regards to the case its literally there for budget reasons, I wont decide on a case until I see some in the flesh.

How do the TeamGroup SSD's compare to the one I've posted apart from on price per GB, I've been more than happy with the current Samsung SSD Seagate HDD setup I'm running the past few years.

Also interesting read about your input on CPU and motherboard options and I do tend to agree with you, but surely for the spec I'm looking at I should be safe for at least the next 3 years on upcoming titles i guess, I've had 5.5 years out of a £1200 i5 machine and its still going strong tbf, just lacking in gpu power and now feels like a good time for me to be able to comfortably build a new machine.

But thank you for all input so far.

Soldato
HDD sizes admittedly are at the bottom of my comfort levels however they are adequate for my needs, I am running less in my current build and still have plenty of space :)

And thanks for the input regarding the PSU, they're alien to me, literally know nothing about them...

With regards to the case its literally there for budget reasons, I wont decide on a case until I see some in the flesh.

How do the TeamGroup SSD's compare to the one I've posted apart from on price per GB, I've been more than happy with the current Samsung SSD Seagate HDD setup I'm running the past few years.

Also interesting read about your input on CPU and motherboard options and I do tend to agree with you, but surely for the spec I'm looking at I should be safe for at least the next 3 years on upcoming titles i guess, I've had 5.5 years out of a £1200 i5 machine and its still going strong tbf, just lacking in gpu power and now feels like a good time for me to be able to comfortably build a new machine.

But thank you for all input so far.

The Team Group SSD is really good value for money. I doubt you would notice any difference between it and a Samsung 860 EVO in day to day usage.

https://babeltechreviews.com/team-groups-99-480-gb-ssd-review/

Also reason why I went with the Gigabyte is for the UK warranty and also you have a Gigabyte rep who posts on the Forum (GIGA Man).

That Asus Z370-F has also had issues in the past. No idea if it has been fixed or not.

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/asus_z370_strix_e_and_strix_f_review/14

Associate
I built one with a similar budget in May.

2700X, Corsair H100X
Team Group 16Gb 3600Mhz B-die
Asus Crosshair hero VII
Fractal Design R6 case
Palit 1070Ti
Corsair 750W PSU
Samsung 256Gb M.2_2
Kingston 500Gb SSD

Then added a Kraken G12 and X52 for the video card <-- You get more boost clocks if you can keep the temp under 50*C and this cooler does that. Stable at 2100Mhz and 4500Mhz VRAM

Soldato
What games do you play? Controversial but considering new graphics cards are not too far around the corner and considering the price of DDR4 I would consider holding off. Personally I’d grab a second hand 980ti / 1070 to keep you going and overclock your CPU if you haven’t done so already.

Back
Top Bottom