Build for 13 year old daughter

Associate
Hello all,

So looking for some advice on a proposed build for my 12 year old daughter's 13th in July.

Long story short, but my partner spilt coffee all over my 5 year old i7 6700k, r9 380 system and after trying a second hand mobo couldn't get it going. I then took the opportunity to invest in new b550 and a 5600x. After a couple of years leaving the gaming to my daughter and with lockdown boredom setting in i got playing again and started looking at graphics cards and was lucky enough to be in the OC 3d printer section one evening and managed to get a rtx 3070..

Now myself and my daughter have to take turns on the pc and you can imagine who misses out in that arrangement (she can at least be social on it I suppose)

So, now she wants to build her own and I think it would be a good project, I have 16gb 2666 memory,550w psu and monitor to start her off but should I also donate the rog strix r9 380 4gb or sell now with the hope something might be available for decent price come July (£200ish)?

Associate
OP
I suppose key is making it ready for new gpu in a year or so. Or alternative is to go v low spec and cheap now and update later, but I don't want to turn her off with a slow pc compared to our current pc.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Cheers. Was thinking £500 for the rest (mobo, cpu, keyboard, case)
Mite be worth going Amd as you already have a Amd build the advantage of being able to trouble shoot between the two if problems arise.

Set her resoloution to 1080p gpu power is going to be a limiting factor till you decide on a better gpu.

Gone matx build with 2 motherboards to choose from.

E My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £527.25 (includes shipping: £12.30)​

Caporegime
I don’t think I’ve ever seen you recommend an AMD build. Like ever. And do they really need a £210 motherboard? That’s nearly half the budget.

Soldato
I don’t think I’ve ever seen you recommend an AMD build. Like ever. And do they really need a £210 motherboard? That’s nearly half the budget.

Sort of makes how awful his Intel build is all the more surprising. :p

Alternative Intel build:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £372.92 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Don't go for the 9400F, it's a last gen 6c/6t part. The 10400F is a 6c12t part for the same price.

I'd personally lean towards AMD right now, but the 10400F is a well priced CPU and performs similarly to the 3600.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sort of makes how awful his Intel build is all the more surprising. :p

Alternative Intel build:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £372.92 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Don't go for the 9400F, it's a last gen 6c/6t part. The 10400F is a 6c12t part for the same price.

I'd personally lean towards AMD right now, but the 10400F is a well priced CPU and performs similarly to the 3600.

they edited their response, but no the OP doesnt need a 210 quid motherboard, i went with what they had available for reference, so yeah the build will not seem the greatest nor did i think about the 10th gen, but at the end of the day its just an idea.

Back
Top Bottom