Build For Light Gaming and light VM work

Associate
Hey Guys,

Looking for some advice. Current set up is a Dell XPS 9560 (I7-7700hq - 16Gb Ram - 512Gb M2 SSD - 1080p) driving two Acer 24" 1080p 75Hz monitors with freesync.

I do some light gaming (GTAV, SCUM, Cities Skylines), but the device is also used for uni to do some virtualisation work.

Generally using virtual box to run Kali and and couple of vulnerable hosts for testing.

Whilst the specs of the laptop can handle this, i am getting concerned about the temps it is hitting and would like to look at building a desktop to take the load off of the laptop.

As i said i am not a hardcore gamer but like to jump on now and again. Would like to be able to casually play things like Forza Horizon 4, The Division 2, COD4 at reasonable settings.

I'm not an Intel fan boy, just always happened to have had Intel before.

Would the 2700x be up to this? or should i look at the i7?

Also would like the option to upgrade to two 27" 1440p monitors in the future and the GPU to not be a bottleneck.

Would the Vega64 be up to this? or should i push for a 1080ti?

Case is firm, my OCD needs the fans to match so happy to pay the extra for this. Would like it to be as quiet as possible, but not fussed about RGB.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,580.59 (includes shipping: £15.30)​

Soldato
@Clutch!

I have roughly the same set up as above with case, cooling and power with Ryzen

gQuXIj4.jpg

uw6H1C3.jpg

fans are beyond and worth their price ! run them at 80% all the time and even had this next to my sons cotbed when he as 6 months and sleeping .

Im running Aorus, you'll find they offer better support and RMA then Asus and everyone here knows the loops the Gigabyte rep jumps through on here .
also, the strix VEGA,..... AVOID!!!!!!!!! vrms overheat!!!!!!!!

the vega will start to struggle if you'll be gaming with dual 1440p screens to be honest, even 1080ti would a bit but would perform better ! BUT freesync screens are a lot cheaper, by something like £300 per screen!

also Intel would drive your 1080p screens better , only when at 1440p and 4k do Intel lose some of their lead to AMD with 4k being very close call!

PSU also comes with a single free 120mm PWM high speed Silent wing 3

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,435.92 (includes shipping: £14.10)​

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Many thanks for this, I notice you have dropped the CPU down from a 2700x to a 2700, will there be much difference? I would quite like to overclock if that makes a difference.

Soldato
I'm building a ryzen 7 machine. Is that a good CPU for overclocking?

Doesn't push as high as intel, ryzen 2*** serious had a lot of good ground work done , specially with it's auto boost .
What is fun is ram overclocking and timings... Fun but a pain in the ass !
You'd be looking at Samsung B-Die sticks though , justs about £70+ on the pricing

Back
Top Bottom