Build suggestions for 3900x

Associate
Looking to get a new PC for gaming, seen a lot of reviews and think im set on a 3900x Budget is around £2000 Il likely get it pre built from here at Overclockers Just like an idea of what I could get for the money
Id also like to avoid overclocking just for longevity, this pc needs to last me a fair while. Im currently happy playing at 1080p but might upgrade in the future. (Current monitor is Asus ROG Strix XG27VQ)

Soldato
Looking to get a new PC for gaming, seen a lot of reviews and think im set on a 3900x Budget is around £2000 Il likely get it pre built from here at Overclockers Just like an idea of what I could get for the money
Id also like to avoid overclocking just for longevity, this pc needs to last me a fair while. Im currently happy playing at 1080p but might upgrade in the future. (Current monitor is Asus ROG Strix XG27VQ)

Intel still has lead over ryzen, specially when using higher performing GPUs .

Didn't use your full budget but allow for £50-100 build costs

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,591.62 (includes shipping: £14.70)​

Upscale to 1440p on your 1080p screen since it's 27" and should be good . Offload more processing to the GPU .

Intel side of things

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,614.61 (includes shipping: £14.70)​

Associate
OP
With the AMD build above would I need a better cooler? Also wouldn't a 3900x be better for futureproofing? (Im a noob here so excuse any dumb questions :p)
Also I could drop the OS and get that cheap elsewhere

Soldato
With the AMD build above would I need a better cooler? Also wouldn't a 3900x be better for futureproofing? (Im a noob here so excuse any dumb questions :p)

You can always upgrade the cpu at a later date. I would buy a 3700X (Or even 3600/X) and then drop a better cpu in when you actually need it. By the time a 12 core cpu is the norm for gaming we will be on a new platform anyway.

Soldato
What are you using the system for?

The Ryzen build will offer better all round performance - and going forward it will probably start to hit parity in gaming performance to that of the 9700K - not that difference now is noticeable to most users, once your gaming over 100FPS.

As @lee32uk has mentioned the 3700X would suffice - put the difference towards a quality 1440p 144HZ IPS monitor - much more fun than cores idling away dong nothing, but if you have the funds fill your boots.

And yes, third a party cooler isn't a bad idea, the Dark Rock in Orbi's INTEL build is fine for this - and you can pick up a Windows key on the cheap - be sure to shop around for legit ones (still a grey area).

Last edited:
Soldato

in theory - would last longer ! the quality of it verses CPUs at a later time will be up for debate . Currently a Ryzen 3600x 6 core 12 threads beats a Ryzen 2700 8 core and 16 threads in multi core tasking and beats it at single task performance as stock speed with 2700 overclocked ...

thats a 6 core 7nm Zen2 chip vs 8 core 12nm Zen1+ CPU . Either way in the grand scheme of things a 8-16 core ryzen or fast 8 core intel is going to last a good while, heck i7 4 cores still lasting now . what will help more cores in future is better game coding .

Soldato
iwhat will help more cores in future is better game coding .
Here's hoping - the annoyance being that 'now' INTEL are consistently pushing greater core counts the gaming industry will probably sit up and take more notice. All this, despite AMD building on their successful last couple of years and their console tie-ins.

As an aside, INTEL must be relieved at the 9700K/motherboard performance : price relative to 3xxx - it's the CPU that constantly divides the AMD spread (ignoring b450's/MAX). I'm grateful for it - as it should re-enforce the above as the more 'real' cores that become the norm (especially as it's hyper thread'edly[sic] challenged) the less time the industry, as a whole, can ignore idle cores...

Either way in the grand scheme of things a 8-16 core ryzen or fast 8 core intel is going to last a good while,
True dat (god, i would feel a t**t saying that out loud.).

Keep speccing those i7 builds Orbi, they're still justified by performance merit and price (just) - cooler cripples this a bit (but will deny it if asked :D). But, personally, i will still struggle to spec them purely due to the average percentage performance taken as a whole (including minimums) and that it's still imperceptible to the average user once you're batting over a certain FPS or when using higher res panels. Plus, the overall performance value of the Ryzen 3000 series is nuts - the 3600 being the new 2500K and donning an AMD lid. But, admittedly the 9700K is the out-and-out enthusiast gamer's CPU for budget...

Are you still tempted to get one?

*And why did AMD release such crappy blowers again on a thermal generator?!? - ruined a perfectly good card/launch (i'm bored while waiting to bXLLXck someone - can you tell?).

Soldato
@Plec still think pcie 4.0 was the worst feature ! i can understand blower for easy sales or ref water blocks then release to AIB for better designs but PCIe 4.0 just adds $70 odd price tag to it ! just think placing rx 5700 at £280 and XT at £340 - AIB designs ... would have places 2060 non super right in the middle of them pricing wise !

Back
Top Bottom