Building a custom loop for a friend - first time watercooling (experienced IT engineer)...

Associate
Hi Guys,

I've got a lot of experience building PCs over the last 10 years but have never actually built a water-cooled build. My friend has bought the below gear and wants it water-cooled so could somebody confirm what would be needed cooling wise.

We've bought some

Also, if somebody could knock up a simple diagram of which order the tubes should go that would be amazing, Thanks in advance!

Could somebody let me know what I'd need to get him to buy. Cheers!

Associate
With two 780 Ti cards you will need around 5 fans-worth of cooling - two for each card and one for the processor. If you end up cooling the motherboard, it can just take up any slack in the system. This should be a minimum to be honest.

If you can find a case that fits a 360 and a 240, you will be fine but you could also consider an external radiator such as the Phobya 1080 if you want a small case but can get a pair of ports on the back.

Associate
OP
Hey Daniel,

Thanks for the reply. I cracked out the Dremel and cut some of the inside of the case away (just a lip near the HDD bays) so that we can fit the 240 rad and mount it on them.

Am I correct in thinking we will only need one pump? Thanks, diagram of exactly what I've planned below.

Da0TmJT.png

Soldato
The rad ports and front rad to res locations aren't where you've drawn them :)
Are you sure you need to WC the mobo?

Tbh, if you've only recently bought the case it's a shame that you've cut it and invalidated the warranty/dsr possibility. There are much better choices for watercooling at that kind of price point.

Associate
I'm far from an expert at this, in fact I plan to start only my second loop this weekend, but to my untrained eye 2 seems like a bit of a waste of that 240 top rad? Surely you want the rads to be breaking up hot parts and keep the water temps down between them?

Couldn't 1 be made neater by hitting the CPU after the chipset and before the stuff above it?

edit: they are lovely diagrams though :p

Last edited:
Soldato
You don't really need to have a rad in between each component as the water temps equalize more or less.
Generally, if you have enough rad space, it doesn't matter where they are in the loop.

They are nice diagrams :D

Associate
Picture 2 - swap the input and output of the GPU1 - that way you have a straight connection from GPU1 to GPU2.

You may also want to plan a drain. Take the output of GPU2 down to the bottom of the case, put a T in it with a tap and then head back up to the front 240.

Soldato
Unless you are going to do benching near or over 5GHZ, I would avoid water-cooling the motherboard as it will make for a better single pump loop.

Associate
Remember that the radiator in/out ports aren't going to be where they've been drawn on the diagram.

Example in diagram 2 you might struggle to make the turn from the top motherboard block to the top rad, since it'll be very tight if it's going to the back fitting on the rad. Likewise with from the southbridge block to the graphics cards, the spacing is going to be much, much tighter.

Associate
You don't really need to have a rad in between each component as the water temps equalize more or less.
Generally, if you have enough rad space, it doesn't matter where they are in the loop.

This was a really useful post, thanks.
Looking at doing a 2 radiator build in a Corsair 750D at some point so snippets like this are very helpful!

Back
Top Bottom