Building a ITX PC for son at Uni

Soldato
Hi im putting together a itx build for my son to use at uni and when he comes home. What im trying to find is something like a Laptop padded backpack to fit something the size of the Silverstone Raven RVZ03 / Fortress FTZ01 ect as it will be using a full size gpu.

Perhaps you have a better idea in a case ect thanks guys.

Regards
Apem

Soldato
OP
Well ive got a few parts already so just need mobo, cpu and case but im trying to find something he can easily move the pc about in from uni to home and back ect on the train.

Soldato
OP
Thanks but thats way to big and expensive why im doing itx build to hopefully get in a back pack or something for him

Soldato
The Silverstone cases are a lot larger than current laptops. The Fractal Design Node 202 is a closer match though, with a similar length and width to some gaming laptops. But it's still 2-3 times the thickness. You might find a large gaming backpack that can accommodate it though (could OCUK help on this given they stock both?).

Alternatively, you might find something used on eBay from back when laptops were a lot larger.

Or you could buy a regular bag or case and either buy or make foam inserts for it. Not hugely difficult to make TBH; there's some good guides on YouTube.

Soldato
managed to cram ATX into my silverstone tvz03 :)

Gigabyte do have their eGPU enclosures but then you'd be having a laptop+ shoebox with GPU. they do include a carrier at least .

Soldato
Hi im putting together a itx build for my son to use at uni and when he comes home. What im trying to find is something like a Laptop padded backpack to fit something the size of the Silverstone Raven RVZ03 / Fortress FTZ01 ect as it will be using a full size gpu.

Perhaps you have a better idea in a case ect thanks guys.

Regards
Apem

A laptop roller case might be be a better bet when considering the weight. I got a small one for my wife when she was pregnant as this was easier for her when commuting than lugging a hefty laptop around.

Or he could just use a small airline size roller case, and padded out with some washing he will undoubtedly be bringing home would be good to go quite cheaply.

Soldato

Take a look at the Shuttle XPC systems. They're small, compact, and the boxes in which they are packed are robust and I think (BICBW) that the boxes have handles. If not, they can be put in a standard grip bag

Soldato
Honestly lugging about even an SFF PC via public transport gets old pretty quickly. Depending on the course, a decent laptop would be a better shout, portable, can be used on the train etc. and a desktop at uni or at yours for gaming.

Back
Top Bottom