Building a treehouse - planning permission!

Associate
Nobody should ever, for one moment, underestimate how important it is to try to be a good neighbour. Good neighbours make good communities, and good communities look after each other in ways which are undervalued in modern, stressed and selfish, society.

We're either part of the solution, or part of the problem. No kid ever suffered for lack of a tree house. Many gained from not falling out of a tree.

i agree , im sorry for the op but i think unless very lucky the ship already sailed on his treehouse when he took it down. if he builds a new one and then the council visit he will never know for definate who reported him so always be wondering. its better to try and keep locals happy that to be fighting all the time. i know after a while the love for where you live gets sapped and you feel bitter. we were lucky , as we seem to have outlived our tormentors but another could spring up , just build them a shed/fort as said then later when they have grown out of it you have a man cave:)

Soldato
Nobody should ever, for one moment, underestimate how important it is to try to be a good neighbour. Good neighbours make good communities, and good communities look after each other in ways which are undervalued in modern, stressed and selfish, society.

We're either part of the solution, or part of the problem. No kid ever suffered for lack of a tree house. Many gained from not falling out of a tree.
It works both ways, Victor

Soldato
Oh come on, tree houses have been around for years and yeah occasionally a kid might fall out and hurt themselves a bit but its all the memories of playing in them which is remembered ,not that you might hurt yourselves..

i take it you never had one as a kid? That's a shame because you wont realize how special they can be..

And its nice to get on with your neighbors but are you going to let them tell you that your kids cant have fun? What if they dont like your kids laughing to loud? You going to not let them play outside?

My kids come first not my neighbors I am afraid.... And it sounds like there neighbor kicked off without being respectful and talking to them about it.... Screw them...

I respectfully disagree and think you are bring selfish. First, planning isn't about safety, that's Building Control so falling down and getting hurt and irrelevant here.

Planning rules are there for a reason and in the case of a treehouse, it could lead to loss of privacy for the neighbours, who have that right, anong other issues. Sure your design and location could be considerate but it doesn't mean everyone else's will be. Hence planning us there to ensure the rules are met fairly, to an agreed policy. We are lucky that, despite a minor inconvenience and a cost, the planning system in this country ensures we have coherent built environment. Other countries are not so lucky and I've seen first hand where people have just built what they feel like and everything looks horrible.

Associate
I respectfully disagree and think you are bring selfish. First, planning isn't about safety, that's Building Control so falling down and getting hurt and irrelevant here.

Planning rules are there for a reason and in the case of a treehouse, it could lead to loss of privacy for the neighbours, who have that right, anong other issues. Sure your design and location could be considerate but it doesn't mean everyone else's will be. Hence planning us there to ensure the rules are met fairly, to an agreed policy. We are lucky that, despite a minor inconvenience and a cost, the planning system in this country ensures we have coherent built environment. Other countries are not so lucky and I've seen first hand where people have just built what they feel like and everything looks horrible.

so its ok to build a 2 storey house out of a bungalow or a 4 storey house out of a house with 2 story's under permitted development i.e. no planning needed, but not ok to put a shed a foot above ground level?? If there is going to be a planning legislation then it should be something which does not contradict itself and is managed by people who actually understand planning...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom