Building another arcade cabinet

Associate
Joined
31 Jul 2012
Posts
1,006
Location
Cheshire
Just one more coat of black needed ... hopefully.

I'm happy with the speaker grill I made.

59uAido.png


Edit:

Final coat done.

kTrVV1u.png
`
 
Last edited:
Associate
Joined
31 Jul 2012
Posts
1,006
Location
Cheshire
Well I managed to drop / scratch the marquee acrylic (on both sides). I did mistakenly order 3 pieces so all good.

I've been itching to see what this looks like so balanced the marquee on top of the mid section - it has some pads placed temporarily underneath the unpainted piece to it's higher than it should be. Pleased with how this is turning out ....

BygOz9i.png


I want to get the filling and painting on the spacer between the 2 sections started today.
 
Associate
Joined
31 Jul 2012
Posts
1,006
Location
Cheshire
I made a template and cut the acrylic for the control panel.

tviy8cU.png


The weather's been pretty awful so I've not managed to make any progress on the woodworking - I do everything outdoors on a small workbench.
 
Associate
Joined
31 Jul 2012
Posts
1,006
Location
Cheshire
I've managed to drill the holes in the CP and check that everything lines up. I need to trim a couple of mm off the side panels and then I can glue and screw them into place before sanding it down and filling it.

Dry assembled:

YLTUiTy.png


k71vIee.png


Back:

ureswBl.png


You can see the chamfered sections to act as guides to make slotting this in as easy as possible. The middle chamfered piece has a threaded insert to allow the panel to be attached to the base section.

cO1eCm2.png


I've left about 1mm around the perimeter of the acrylic to allow for the layers of paint.

Edit: trimmed, and glued.

UuqD2xv.png
 
Last edited:
Associate
Joined
31 Jul 2012
Posts
1,006
Location
Cheshire
Control panel filled, sanded and primed, There'll be a bit more to do to get some of the angles consistent across the front, angled pieces.

Drz9Zp5.png


I'll need to sand back the 'furry' bits of MDF to get it nice and flat once it's dry.


Like the other cabinet sections, the intention is to make this look like its been carved out of a single piece of wood.
 
Associate
Joined
31 Jul 2012
Posts
1,006
Location
Cheshire
I'm pretty much done with the main sanding and filling and have got the second coat of black on after some vigorous sanding back. As usual, it's still drying when the picture was taken.

yytlCRe.png
 
Soldato
Joined
23 Mar 2004
Posts
3,372
Location
Leeds
I'm pretty much done with the main sanding and filling and have got the second coat of black on after some vigorous sanding back. As usual, it's still drying when the picture was taken.

yytlCRe.png

How's it looking, following the thread with interest.

Wish I could do this but don't have the time or the patience :D
 
Associate
Joined
31 Jul 2012
Posts
1,006
Location
Cheshire
Well it seems I had a dodgy can of paint - I've had to strip back a partially dry coat ... twice. A real pain tbh as the paint just clogs up the sandpaper and takes an eternity to remove.

I bought a new can of paint and made sure it would dry by testing it on some scrap. I've just re-primed the CP so hopefully I can start to make some progress on this again.
 
Top