building my 1st build for my 50th!

Associate
hi, got a £1k budget, want something future proof.
Potential build
Mobo X570 tomahawk max
CPU. AMD Ryzen 3 3300X
RAM.Crucial Ballistix RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600
GPU. Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC
CASE. Lian Li Lancool II Mesh A

I need help with PSU, I want a 650w, modular or semi mod, with a gold or higher rating.
I'm concerned about the 8+4 power supply cables needed?

I already have storage I'm moving from my prebuilt pc 2x2tb ssd and 1 x1tb ssd. Later in the year I might buy some new m.2 storage.

Whole build aprox £1000 any help greatly appreciated. I prefer the X570 over the B550 as I feel it is more future proof and better value.

Thanks

Associate
Whole build aprox £1000 any help greatly appreciated. I prefer the X570 over the B550 as I feel it is more future proof and better value.

Thanks

I highly doubt the next couple generation of GPU's will fully saturate PCIe 4.0, and unless you need multiple PCIe 4.0 NVME slots it's actually not much future proof than a decent B550 board. By the time you're next looking to upgrade PCIe 5.0 will be around as well as DDR5, and that's likely within the next 18-24 months.

What do you plan on using the system for? If it's gaming then 3700x is probably your minimum requirement with PS5/Xbox 4 dropping at the end of the year. You can save a bit of money on the PSU too, semi-modular's are perfectly fine, they have the necessary connectors for the CPU/Mobo and the rest if plug in as you see fit.

Before you do anything try and calculate how much power you think you'll need:
https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

Associate
Do you have any particular requirements in mind, like certain games in X FPS and Y resolution? Does the budget include monitor as well?

It might seem counter intuitive to future proofing but given your budget is go with 2nd Gen Ryzen like 2700X, x470 and so on as they are great value. If you check b-grade you will get a good deal as well. Don't think PCIE 4.0 will offer you much for 3rd Gen Ryzen as others mentioned.

Soldato
Overclockers will negotiate with B-stock prices if you message them. PC gaming is expensive, once upon a time £1000 would be very good. You could try a B550 and 3600X combo.

Soldato
I prefer the X570 over the B550 as I feel it is more future proof and better value.
Both B550 and X570 will get one new CPU architecture, before it's AM5 socket and DDR5 time.
And X570 doesn't do anything but eat limited budget from more usefull things.
Unless you'll be doing something very special needing lots of super fast storage...

And can't see that happening with such by todays terms super low end CPU.
That's literally half the CPU in next-gen consoles coming before Christmas!

Back
Top Bottom