Building my first gaming pc and need some advice

Associate
I'm trying to build my first gaming PC and could do with advice in a few areas..

I should probably start with what I do currently have (not a lot):
PSU - corsair hx850
2× Noctua NF-A14 ULN fans
Phanteks p500a (ordered and on its way)

What I'm currently finding a challenge is choice for Motherboard, GPU and general cooling.

Fans:
The case I ordered has 2 140 mm fans that come with it + I bought 2 Noctua 140mm ultra quiet fans, but their only 800rpm (not sure if that will be ok). I'm thinking of getting another 2 fans so that I can have 3 intake and 3 exhaust. Will the 800rpm Noctua fans be ok? Should I be concerned with static pressure and if so should I be consistent and get the same fans all round?

CPU cooling:
In terms of CPU cooling I'm feeling very lost, I want something fairly simply but effective, so air cooling rather than water, I have been looking at the Noctua NH-D15 but its quite expensive and I'm not sure if it would be overkill (not planning to overclock anything and I'm looking to buy the Ryzen 5800x).

Motherboard:
Given that I'm planning to get a Ryzen 5000 chip I would ideally prefer a motherboard that I can pickup and will work with this generation of CPU out the box, failing that a motherboard that allows me to flash the bios without needing another CPU.

I have been looking at a few x570 boards but I'm not sure I actually need the extra functionality these board provide over B550 boards. So does anyone have any good suggestions here?

GPU:
Finally and the most difficult component to get...I wanted either 6800xt or an rtx3080 but with the shortage of GPU's and the crazy prices atm I think it would be better if I bought a really cheap GPU for basic gaming and Web browsing until the cards I want are more readily available. Are there any good GPU's that I could purchase between £50-70 as a stop gap for a few months.

I should probably add that I'm looking to buy new, dont feel comfortable buying second hand electronics especially for a first build with relatively expensive parts

Man of Honour
Hi

Graphics card your just going hh see what you can get and see if you can find a stop gap gpu.

Motherboard x570 offers more pcie lanes ports over the b550 so if you want more thsn 2 x m2 take into consideration

Added 2 quality coolers that are great value and run virtally silent .

CODE My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,132.95 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

Associate
OP
Hi

Graphics card your just going hh see what you can get and see if you can find a stop gap gpu.

Motherboard x570 offers more pcie lanes ports over the b550 so if you want more thsn 2 x m2 take into consideration

Added 2 quality coolers that are great value and run virtally silent .

CODE My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,132.95 (includes shipping: £11.10)
Funnily enough the 2 motherboards you mentioned above are the 2 I was looking at, the x570 Tomahawk has had a lot of very good reviews but I could save £40 buying the B550 variant (will have to weight them up a big more)

and I have heard good things about the Scyth Fuma 2 but its either sold out or very overpriced https://www.overclockers.co.uk/scythe-scfm-2000-fuma-2-dual-fan-cpu-cooler-2x120-mm-hs-04f-sy.html

Man of Honour
Funnily enough the 2 motherboards you mentioned above are the 2 I was looking at, the x570 Tomahawk has had a lot of very good reviews but I could save £40 buying the B550 variant (will have to weight them up a big more)

and I have heard good things about the Scyth Fuma 2 but its either sold out or very overpriced https://www.overclockers.co.uk/scythe-scfm-2000-fuma-2-dual-fan-cpu-cooler-2x120-mm-hs-04f-sy.html
Good cooler.

The alphenon coolers perform very close to the Noctua nh d15 virtally silent and 100% ram clearance.

Oh and in stock :D

Associate
OP
Good cooler.

The alphenon coolers perform very close to the Noctua nh d15 virtally silent and 100% ram clearance.

Oh and in stock :D

Nice, thanks for the advice, I will take a look at the alphenon coolers before making a decision.

In regards to my non-cooler fans does low rpm fans matter? Mine are 800rpm but they are 140mm instead of 120, im assuming its ok?

Man of Honour
Nice, thanks for the advice, I will take a look at the alphenon coolers before making a decision.

In regards to my non-cooler fans does low rpm fans matter? Mine are 800rpm but they are 140mm instead of 120, im assuming its ok?
The nocthua fans are quality so no worries low rpm for quietness but you should always monitor temps .

Back
Top Bottom