Built in dishwasher catching on both sides on the adjacent cabinet, help me fix

Soldato
Hi all, I have a built in dishwasher which is catching in both sides (squeeking/friction in opening /closing)

Its not the adjacent doors unfortunately (as i can move them) it appears the opening is just too "tight". It's pretty much bang on 600 or just shy of.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Currently I've adjusted the adjacent doors to be tight to "guide" the dishwasher door but it's not the doors, it's the cabinets themselves

I was thinking of just multi tooling /reducing the thickness of the cupboards on the bottom section where its catching is that a massive bodge? I want to keep the kitchen as im currently painting the cabinets / going to change the worktop in future

HqHymND.jpeg
rxhxAfS.jpeg

Soldato
Yes taking a multitool to the carcass is bodging it. They will only have a thin laminate finish, which will be removed leaving exposed chipboard that will over time absorb water from loading the dishwasher and blow the panels.

Personally I'd loosen a few of the nearby fixings for the carcasses such as into the worktop or adjacent units and give the units a few taps to make the gap a couple of mm wider, then tighten the fixings back up. You might be able to do it by just adding a small packer between the dishwasher and the carcass.

Soldato
Had the same issue. Carcass swells usually from the steam. Can try loosing as above or alt it will be shaving a few mm off with a multi tool, which I then touched up with some white paint. Not that you can see it once the door is closed anyhow

Soldato
We had this on a brand new kitchen -ended up putting a wedge in to push the carcass to either side out just enough to enable no friction. We had to hammer it in from underneath but it worked a treat

Soldato
OP
No room to nudge the unit over a few mm?
The units are all tied together so don't think theres anywhere to go so to speak. See pic below. (dishwasher to left of sink)
We had this on a brand new kitchen -ended up putting a wedge in to push the carcass to either side out just enough to enable no friction. We had to hammer it in from underneath but it worked a treat
Ah do you mean the side adjacent the washing machine? As per above there's very little room

Im currently taking off cabinets and painting them thus why some are missing! (and please excuse the mess..)

Qirjv3R.jpeg

Yes taking a multitool to the carcass is bodging it. They will only have a thin laminate finish, which will be removed leaving exposed chipboard that will over time absorb water from loading the dishwasher and blow the panels.

Personally I'd loosen a few of the nearby fixings for the carcasses such as into the worktop or adjacent units and give the units a few taps to make the gap a couple of mm wider, then tighten the fixings back up. You might be able to do it by just adding a small packer between the dishwasher and the carcass.
Ah, see above! It's a really tight fit for the dishwasher but I'm willing to try!
Had the same issue. Carcass swells usually from the steam. Can try loosing as above or alt it will be shaving a few mm off with a multi tool, which I then touched up with some white paint. Not that you can see it once the door is closed anyhow
Yep it looks like to be honest someone previously has already tried to chip it out thus you can see the grain of the carcass material adjacent (that or its worn away from friction)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I fixed it

Tried both the hammering either side trick (don't think it worked/did much but could be wrong!) )

Also shaved about 1mm off each side of the door (not noticeable as it's all been painted)

Works fine now!

hTFHm6f.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom