Bump advice!

Soldato
Honestly - I'd have a chat with him before doing anything. You've got nothing to lose. If he wants to go through insurance - great. If he says he will get a couple of quotes to repair the damage and then see what you both want to do, great.

Caporegime
Honestly - I'd have a chat with him before doing anything. You've got nothing to lose. If he wants to go through insurance - great. If he says he will get a couple of quotes to repair the damage and then see what you both want to do, great.
Being that it's a Porsche Cayman I can't imagine any repairs being cheap. Expect £1.5k+ as a definite, more likely £2.5k+. Go through your insurance. If they start talking about a hire car etc then the costs mount up.

Soldato
Being that it's a Porsche Cayman I can't imagine any repairs being cheap. Expect £1.5k+ as a definite, more likely £2.5k+. Go through your insurance. If they start talking about a hire car etc then the costs mount up.

£2500 to repair a scraped door handle? It's a Porsche Cayman not a McLaren F1.

Like I said, he has nothing to lose and everything to gain by talking to the owner first. It may well be the case that the owner wants to go through insurance - in which case fine, no problem, but if he doesn't and the repair is £300, why would you force him to go through insurance?

Caporegime
£2500 to repair a scraped door handle? It's a Porsche Cayman not a McLaren F1.

Like I said, he has nothing to lose and everything to gain by talking to the owner first. It may well be the case that the owner wants to go through insurance - in which case fine, no problem, but if he doesn't and the repair is £300, why would you force him to go through insurance?
But then if the car needs to be away for a day or two, will the OP be expecting to stump up for a hire car too? By all means get a quote but I predict it won't be cheap.

Soldato
But then if the car needs to be away for a day or two, will the OP be expecting to stump up for a hire car too? By all means get a quote but I predict it won't be cheap.

A main dealer and many garages will provide a courtesy car free of charge when doing repairs. Hire costs only usually come in when there are insurers involved.

Certainly worth a chat first.

Sgarrista
Commissario
a lot of people these days just seem to drive off after such incidents.

Which is weird, everyone is so protective over a "slight" policy bump, but unless you're writing off supercars at the weekend for the lols its hardly going to be noticeable, yet how often have you moaned at paying insurance, out of principal or the cost?

At least by forcing a payout you're getting "your monies worth".

Soldato
You're already expecting the worst case hence considering going through your insurance.

I would just have a chat with the guy and ask him what he wants to do.

He can't be arsey with you, at the end of the day you've done the honest and responsible thing by admitting to the incident, you can almost guarantee many others would have just driven off.

Don
A main dealer and many garages will provide a courtesy car free of charge when doing repairs. Hire costs only usually come in when there are insurers involved.

Hire costs normally only come into it if the car is undrivable and a replacement car is required e.g. next day. Insurers still forward to main dealer Bodyshop or approved repairer who 99% of time include a courtesy car as part of the repair process.

Caporegime
I'm sure he'd love a new bumper, but he isn't going to get one if it's just the car door handle which has been scraped?

Very true, I just didn't read it. Being from Porsche it'll be £250 + 2 hours Labour to take the door apart, hoping no one sees the multitude of parts stamped 'VW' inside the door.

Back
Top Bottom