• Competitor rules

    Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Burning A Hole In My Pocket

Associate
Joined
18 Feb 2006
Posts
450
Location
Halifax
Hi All

Money is burning a hole in my pocket what I want to know is I can buy the C2D E6600 2.4GHz now or if I wait 1 month then I can afford the E6700 2.67GHz

Will I see much performance difference between these 2 CPU's - will be used for gamming

I will be using the following motherboard
Asus P5N32-E PLUS SLi nForce (Socket 775)
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-222-AS

Grahics
Geforce 8800 GTX

Thanks for taking the time to reply
 
Associate
OP
Joined
18 Feb 2006
Posts
450
Location
Halifax
Thanks for the reply, its just it feels a bit like a backward step, I am currently using a P4 2.8 and I know that it is dual core...

Also what do you mean
buy the 6600 then overclock it, unless you want the unlocked multiplier

I have never OC before will it make it easier to OC the E6700 as you say the multiplier is unlocked
 
Soldato
Joined
1 Oct 2004
Posts
10,772
Location
Cambs/Herts
Save your money and buy a 6300. You'll be able to hit really high speeds anyway, and at such speeds they'll be no noticeable difference between the 6300 or the 6600. Spend the money saved on a better graphics card, sound card or case. Or buy a few pints... :)
 
Associate
OP
Joined
18 Feb 2006
Posts
450
Location
Halifax
Ram I purchased from OC as it was on offer
GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit

Now I cant find the dam graphics card that I want,
I was after the Asus 880GTX but does not seem to be listed on OC I have asked if they will be selling it though
 
Caporegime
Joined
24 Dec 2005
Posts
40,065
Location
Autonomy
Exibit said:
Ram I purchased from OC as it was on offer
GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit

Now I cant find the dam graphics card that I want,
I was after the Asus 880GTX but does not seem to be listed on OC I have asked if they will be selling it though


Why Asus?

Just get the cheapest as all 8800 GTX are the same apart from warranty.

add me to msn click the little man on the left ;)
 
Soldato
Joined
14 Jul 2004
Posts
2,549
Exibit said:
Thanks for the reply, its just it feels a bit like a backward step, I am currently using a P4 2.8 and I know that it is dual core...

E6600 will carp all over your P4. Don't listen to the numbers..... :p
 
Associate
Joined
3 May 2006
Posts
614
Location
Leeds
easyrider said:
Why Asus?

Just get the cheapest as all 8800 GTX are the same apart from warranty.

add me to msn click the little man on the left ;)

Plus bundle! Got Asus GTX here and it came with a decent load of kit (06 pro key, couple of games etc) wasn't any more than other cards either. But the actual hardware itself is pretty much the same - seem to remeber a difference between the green and black PCB's though, not sure what that is (and don't say the colour :p)
 
Back
Top Bottom