Burns Night - Haggis!

Soldato
A bit late replying, can't say I've noticed any weird smells when boiling a haggis. I had MacSweens this year, If you can't get to the butcher it's the best of the ones you can easily get n a suprmarket. Though I do like a Haggis supper from the chippie or the traditional haggis, neeps and tatties I have been known to have haggis nachos :D

Commissario
OP
Burns Night comes around again.

We’ve got this huge haggis from a butcher in Scotland. It’s been cut into three and will be three good meals for us.

No neeps in the Feek household, it’ll be served with a pile of mash and gravy.

eQZt7zD.jpeg

Soldato
So that’s a synthetic casing and the length of the ingredients list would suggest it’s quite a synthetic haggis!

And you are aware that E621 is monosodium glutamate?

Obviously, it’s all legal etc.

Commissario
OP
So that’s a synthetic casing and the length of the ingredients list would suggest it’s quite a synthetic haggis!

I don’t see a problem here :confused:

Ingredients: Lamb Offal 25%, Beef Fat 12.5%, Haggis Seasoning (Salt, Rusk (fortified wheat flour (calcium carbonate, iron, niacin, thiamine) salt), Spices (black pepper, coriander, ginger, allspice), Spice Extract, Flavour Enhancer E621), Onions.

Soldato
I don’t see a problem here :confused:

Ingredients: Lamb Offal 25%, Beef Fat 12.5%, Haggis Seasoning (Salt, Rusk (fortified wheat flour (calcium carbonate, iron, niacin, thiamine) salt), Spices (black pepper, coriander, ginger, allspice), Spice Extract, Flavour Enhancer E621), Onions.

What exactly is ‘haggis seasoning’? With rusk! And the aforementioned MSG.

Take a look at the ingredients list of the Crombies haggis you posted earlier in the thread. Natural casing, lamb offal, beef offal (probably to keep the cost down) oatmeal, onions, fats, salt and spices. That’s much more like a real haggis.

I‘m sure it tastes lovely but it’s a gigantic lamb sausage, not a haggis. Haggis is minced mutton pluck with oatmeal stuffed into the distal stomach of the sheep.

Commissario
OP
I‘m sure it tastes lovely but it’s a gigantic lamb sausage, not a haggis. Haggis is minced mutton pluck with oatmeal stuffed into the distal stomach of the sheep.
Oh my word, what a food snob. Basically the same ingredients but because one lists more details, it’s automatically worse :rolleyes:

We normally buy the individual 500g Galloway haggis but the large 1.6kg version in the synthetic casing was £10 compared to £5 each for the 500g versions. Same thing, difference casing. The 500g MacSweens have been in a synthetic casing for a few years. By your reasoning, that’s not a haggis either, right?

I’m not trying to be a Scotsman by proxy, I may bump this thread each year but we eat a lot of haggis, it’s not just a once a year thing for us.

Rather than try and be superior, why not be supportive that the Burns Night tradition is being actively followed and promoted?

Soldato
Oh my word, what a food snob. Basically the same ingredients but because one lists more details, it’s automatically worse :rolleyes:

We normally buy the individual 500g Galloway haggis but the large 1.6kg version in the synthetic casing was £10 compared to £5 each for the 500g versions. Same thing, difference casing. The 500g MacSweens have been in a synthetic casing for a few years. By your reasoning, that’s not a haggis either, right?

I’m not trying to be a Scotsman by proxy, I may bump this thread each year but we eat a lot of haggis, it’s not just a once a year thing for us.

Rather than try and be superior, why not be supportive that the Burns Night tradition is being actively followed and promoted?

Not a food snob at all, and if you really want to promote the Burns Night tradition, buy a haggis, not a big lamb sausage. If you can’t see the difference between something made with oatmeal (a haggis) and something made with fortified wheat flour rusk (a sausage) then knock yourself out on the MSG.

And it’s not listed in more detail, it’s just listing more synthetic ingredients. MSG FFS.

As for me, I’ll be “playing” the pipes at 3 Burns Suppers (luckily most people can’t tell the difference between a pibroch and Pitbull so when I literally murder every note they’ll clap anyway). Enjoy!

Last edited:
Soldato
had ours last weekend. Balmoral chicken on friday and haggisy bubble and squeak sat. Both lovely! (not a single swede was consumed)

Last edited:
Can't type for toffee
Don
Yep I'll be having it tonight. Unfortunatly its a supermarket one this year.
Late to the game but as long as its not a Halls or a Vegan one you should be good :p

I missed it this year and will be having mine at the weekend, I normally get macsweens from costco.
They discounted the chieftains quite heavily last year and Im hoping they do again this year and I'll grab a few :D

Alas I'm too old to go out catching them fresh like i did in my younger years

Love me some haggis rolls with a bit brown sauce in them

Last edited:
Can't type for toffee
Don
Any tips for dicing a swede?

I nearly lost my arm doing it yesterday. Must have taken me half an hour.

Came out pretty good in the end though.

Spike all over with the fork like a jacket tattie, Microwave it then squish?
Apparently work, I've not yet tried it tho haha

I normally leave the skin on mine and cut it into slices abotu 1cm thick.
Far easier taking the skinn off that way and then dicing each individual slice

Commissario
OP
I give up.
Late to the game but as long as its not a Halls or a Vegan one you should be good :p
I haven't see a Halls for years, they used to be supermarket staples down here. I'd actually rather have a Halls than a Simon Howie. Out of the literally dozens of different haggis I've tried, the Simon Howie one is the only one I've ever not liked.

Our haggis was excellent, really good.

Can't type for toffee
Don
Last halls one I had granted was a while back but seemed to have very little spice...the last Random one I tried was a Stahly Vegetarian Haggis as it was 59por summit lol

I grabbed a few but oh my, I coudlnt even eat it, was rancid :(
Felt bad when I saw the missus had given the other to the harvest festival in the annual cupboard clear out lol

Back
Top Bottom