• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

But Jensen, how fast is it ?

Soldato
That said, I don't think I'm stumping up north of £1k to replace my 980Ti hydrocoppers. Sadly I think I'll be eeking another year or two out of them.
Yes, the cards you bought before the gpu price hike are, years later, still highly competitive tech. Time to start running that bath and fetching the razor blades.

:p

Soldato
Battlefield games are quite fast paced. I don't really care whether my team mates eye reflects the muzzle flash of the tank shooting at us :D. Seems a bit of a waste of resources. Games like that need higher fps and smoother gameplay. I don't spend much time looking down at a puddle for the reflections

You mean you don't stare lovingly into your teammates eye's while playing? You monster.

I agree, that side of things isn't exactly something you would notice. What I did find very impressive however were the fresnel reflections off the windows - that was a very noticeable improvement over the cube maps.

Yes, the cards you bought before the gpu price hike are, years later, still highly competitive tech. Time to start running that bath and fetching the razor blades.

:p

"Sadly" because even a pair of them don't really do what I want at 4k given the sad state of SLI (and almost complete lack of SLI implementation in VR) and I was hoping for something worth upgrading to at a realistic price. Not "sadly" because they still remain relatively decent cards!

Soldato
Battlefield games are quite fast paced. I don't really care whether my team mates eye reflects the muzzle flash of the tank shooting at us :D. Seems a bit of a waste of resources. Games like that need higher fps and smoother gameplay. I don't spend much time looking down at a puddle for the reflections

Yeah I think Metro was a better example of new tech. I think ray tracing with better shadows will be great for games like Metro, Fallout.

Soldato
...especially when you consider ray tracing in VR where immersion is everything.
Honestly I don't think that's true. The immersion in VR comes from the HMD cutting you off from your surroundings, from the head-tracking, and from the stereoscopic image, not from the fidelity of the visuals. Most VR versions of existing games have the details scaled back in an attempt to hit that magic 90 fps, plus the effective pixels-per-inch of the displays is so much lower than a monitor. And a lot of VR-only games have terrible graphics. I'd go as far to say the visuals in VR are generally pretty awful, and yet it's still very immersive.

What VR needs, especially with the 2nd gen headsets arriving, is the fillrate and shading performance to keep framerates at 90 so ASW/ASR doesn't kick-in. A few extra raytraced effects would just be icing on the cake.

Soldato
I don't think we disagree... I'm not inferring that VR needs it to be immersive, just that it would add to the overall experience perhaps a bit more than it does to flat screen games. And just to qualify that, I'm also mainly thinking next gen where the resolution of the headsets would be more likely to be at a point where you would notice the smaller details like that more readily.

Basically my thought is that in a next gen VR headset, it's more likely to nag at you that the lighting/reflections/shadows are wrong than when just looking at a monitor as VR is by it's nature more immersive in the first place. All the small details being correct will just help build that level of reality, even on a subconscious level.

To that end, I do indeed hope that ray tracing does start to gain traction from this point... everything has to start somewhere. I, for one, however don't think it is currently worth the entry price - doesn't mean it still won't be worth it a few years from now.

Last edited:
Soldato
I did lowball the clock on the Titan V but only because i've not seen them consistently hit 2GHz and counting 50MHz jumps seems a bit mealy.

The OCUK timespy results are actually pretty revealing, taking the top overclock GPU score for each of the cards on OCUK
TitanV @1972/1000, GFX Score 14598 (2.85 points per cuda core)
TitanXP @2050/3106, GFX Score 11405 (2.97 points per cuda core)
1080 Ti @2151/3000, GFX Score 11267 (3.14 points per cuda core)
1080 @2190/2850, GFX Score 8552 (3.34 points per cuda core)

There's an 11% difference in clock speed between the Titan V and the GTX1080 and there's 17% difference in points per cuda core. In the scheme of things that 6% difference is pretty small compared to the overall gain in performance. Like i said there are assumptions here which i know are flawed, i'm just trying to "guess with the benefit of experience"

That GTX1080 score is with the GTX1080 11gbps card. The normal GTX1080 came with 10gbs ram and at 2190/2762 does 8349

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/397173

(yes the benchmark is mine :) and last time checked the Firestrike GPU scores of that card weren't beaten by any other 1080)

Soldato
How long would we be looking at for that to happen though? If they want to take advantage of the whole Turing price debacle then they need something out, even a hint or a carefully planted rumour, to pick up the disgruntled customers who would have gone green.

Surely they couldn't get something as complicated as you describe done and out before years end?

Who knows -_-
The Linux driver for the Vega 20 is already out, and we know is 21TFlop card possibly with GCN 5.5 But after that AMD refuses to comment or say anything else.....

Associate

In multiplayer RTS games Ray Tracing will kill the frame rate, so you’ll have plenty appreciate all those deaths whilst admiring the fidelity.

Caporegime

Shadows (and all the other un-necessary crap) get turned off man! I like to see what the hell I'm shooting at :D

Associate
OP
Last edited:
Associate
AMD need to get Navi on 7nm as soon as possible on GDDR6 and drop the HBM2 as according to some sites they are losing money on every Vega card sold due to high memory prices. As I said before the launch on the July hardware survey on Steam the GTX1080ti accounted for 1.19% of all users.

If nVidia move up the price stack like this they will either kill the revival in PC gaming or allow AMD to have the low to mid-end GPU market. With PS5 due in 2019 they will already have silicon 7nm Navi being sampled already, the non RTX cards (1060 and below) will be a Pascal refresh so the pricing of those cards will be very interesting.

If AMD could get some RX 670/680 cards out with some clock speed improvements and competitive pricing they could also fill the gap that way. I’ve never really understood how they can dominate the console market and not have games optimised for PC unless nVidia is bribing developers to optimise for nVidia, it’s not as if Intel didn’t do this!

Associate
OP
True but they went where the money was, we can't really blame them for that. AMD have in the past had the best cards both for performance and for the money (i'm thinking the 290x) and still lost to NVIDIA mind share at the high end, we really have no one to blame but ourselves.

Associate
Well I bought 290x... then GTX 1080 because there was nothing on the AMD side that came close, so my conscience is clear and I shall purchase a 2080 Ti if it is much faster in non-RTX operations.

Back
Top Bottom