• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

But Jensen, how fast is it ?

Soldato
Is there any possibility that we just simply aren't seeing something crucial to the potential performance outcome? As I am in a bit of disbelief if the 1080ti is to outperform the 2080..
Logically, if they were offering ground breaking performance, they'd be screaming about it and letting everyone know just how far ahead they are. So it's a bit suspect that they're not saying anything about performance figures we can use compared to what we currently have.

Associate
Logically, if they were offering ground breaking performance, they'd be screaming about it and letting everyone know just how far ahead they are. So it's a bit suspect that they're not saying anything about performance figures we can use compared to what we currently have.

Well they did say it was 6x the performance of the previous generation and have plastered that all over the marketing. So they are making big claims, just not being very specific as usual.

Have to wait for the embargo to end to get the real shiz.

Soldato
Well they did say it was 6x the performance of the previous generation and have plastered that all over the marketing. So they are making big claims, just not being very specific as usual.

Have to wait for the embargo to end to get the real shiz.

Well with that, they were too specific It's gonna be 6x performance only in extremely specific scenarios.

Associate
Well with that, they were too specific It's gonna be 6x performance only in extremely specific scenarios.
While Nvidia is claiming “6 times more performance” with its Turing RTX cards over its Pascal-based GTX GPUs, the company is attempting to redefine performance comparisons that are limited to how well the new cards perform. Nvidia doesn’t even list the traditional floating point operations per second (known as teraflops), and has opted to hype two new performance capabilities. These are RTX-OPS, an average of the card’s performance across operations like shading, ray-tracing, etc, and giga rays per second which measures how well the new cards can ray-trace. Nvidia didn’t spend 10 years building its GTX Pascal-based GPUs to perform ray-tracing, so the performance comparison here feels less relevant.

RTX OPS whatever they are, maybe they thought promising 140% of 1080ti performance at 4k or whatever was underselling what they are trying to do. I suspect their problem is the low take up of 4k in the PC community. If you are trying to sell more graphics cards and push the overall value of the business up you probably need to convince those at lower resolutions why they need something better than a £350 mid range card. The 4k crew will have to upgrade sooner or later anyway as the 4k games will need increasing amounts of horsepower much quicker.

Soldato
I'm brand agnostic and currently have a 1080ti (£650 GB Aorus). Previous to that I had a 980ti (£550 EVGA AIO). Prior to that a 7970.

I really hope nvidia fall flat on their face this time. Twice the price? I was ready to pre-order yesterday, already had my 1080ti listing drafted on ebay etc. Screw that.

It's not the affordability. It's the blatant price gouging that is offensive to me as a consumer. It's their right of course to charge whatever they like. Similarly it's my right to walk away in disgust.

I'm not a particularly big fan of Intel business practices either despite owning their CPUs. But they can't enter this market soon enough in my opinion.

+10000000000%

Permabanned
I do not understand how they are able to even try to price a 1080ti at 999 it is offensive. Intel did a similiar tactic they offered little but demanded big money and i am laughing at them because i never upgraded from my 4770k and they lost out on a generational upgrade and thus money.

Now Nvidia priced me out i will do the same. A 1080 to 2080 should be a big leap if they try this to be just 10% more than a 1080ti with ray tracing its gonna show the intentions to shaft us over and over. This is just an attempt to push prices up 100 pounds per series launch as i know the 1080 was £599.

And if i am boycotting does this mean the problem is the 1080ti pre ordering people? Some of you fools spent 750 on a pre order and watched as it rose to 800 due to bitcoin and laughed. Well laugh now because this is the new Nvidia price all set by the consumer. And the proof is people already preordered so now 799 is the new price and the next generation will be 899.

Man of Honour

What is also a bit suspect is normally about now there is a err leaked synthetic bench score like Firestrike, unfortunately if this happened I suspect the performance would be underwhelming and really hit pre order sales.

Associate
I do not understand how they are able to even try to price a 1080ti at 999 it is offensive. Intel did a similiar tactic they offered little but demanded big money and i am laughing at them because i never upgraded from my 4770k and they lost out on a generational upgrade and thus money.

Now Nvidia priced me out i will do the same. A 1080 to 2080 should be a big leap if they try this to be just 10% more than a 1080ti with ray tracing its gonna show the intentions to shaft us over and over. This is just an attempt to push prices up 100 pounds per series launch as i know the 1080 was £599.

And if i am boycotting does this mean the problem is the 1080ti pre ordering people? Some of you fools spent 750 on a pre order and watched as it rose to 800 due to bitcoin and laughed. Well laugh now because this is the new Nvidia price all set by the consumer. And the proof is people already preordered so now 799 is the new price and the next generation will be 899.

Wish the 2080ti was £699....but its not. The market knows we are willing to spend large amounts of cash, iPhone-X/Samsung, G-Sync monitors, Xbox one-X and GFX Cards ect. Nvidia are not going to lose out financially as they did with the '10 series' cards, and have retailers hike the price. If the cards rise above the bullsh*t then i'll have one, don't care how much, iv'e been doing this for far too long to 'cut my nose off to spite my face'.

Soldato
DaveGW said:
Wish the 2080ti was £699....but its not. The market knows we are willing to spend large amounts of cash, iPhone-X/Samsung, G-Sync monitors, Xbox one-X and GFX Cards ect. Nvidia are not going to lose out financially as they did with the '10 series' cards, and have retailers hike the price.

Why would the biggest GPU they've ever produced for the consumer market be anything other than (excluding stupid Titan Zs and whatnot) the most expensive ? IF nVidia lost out on the 10 series as you claim, they'd be willingly taking an arrow to the knee if the RTX cards were cheaper than the outgoing 10 series.

Associate
From their blog https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2018/08/20/geforce-rtx-real-time-ray-tracing/

"Turing’s innovations fuse real-time ray tracing, all-new AI capabilities and advanced shaders in an approach called hybrid graphics to achieve the greatest generational performance leap ever. Turing is 6x Pascal performance for ray-traced graphics. For existing games, Turing will deliver 2x the performance and 4K HDR gaming at 60 FPS on even the most demanding titles."

2x what though? I'm waiting on those benchmarks.

Associate
Why would the biggest GPU they've ever produced for the consumer market be anything other than (excluding stupid Titan Zs and whatnot) the most expensive ? IF nVidia lost out on the 10 series as you claim, they'd be willingly taking an arrow to the knee if the RTX cards were cheaper than the outgoing 10 series.
I think most of us know how its going to unfold: Release date/Pre-Order feeding frenzy/Limited stock/stock delayed and trickled out/1080-1080ti flying off shelves. I have a 1080ti, so i really don't care much, and am willing to see how it all pans out. Should be a fun ride.

Soldato
From their blog https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2018/08/20/geforce-rtx-real-time-ray-tracing/

"Turing’s innovations fuse real-time ray tracing, all-new AI capabilities and advanced shaders in an approach called hybrid graphics to achieve the greatest generational performance leap ever. Turing is 6x Pascal performance for ray-traced graphics. For existing games, Turing will deliver 2x the performance and 4K HDR gaming at 60 FPS on even the most demanding titles."

2x what though? I'm waiting on those benchmarks.

2x performance is amazing, and a big fat lie probably.

RTX ON vs performance is also something I need to see evidence on. If 6 or 8 or 10 gigarays is not enough to sufficiently power RTX, why adopt a tech early which you will just have turned off most of the time?

Soldato
I think most of us know how its going to unfold: Release date/Pre-Order feeding frenzy/Limited stock/stock delayed and trickled out/1080-1080ti flying off shelves. I have a 1080ti, so i really don't care much, and am willing to see how it all pans out. Should be a fun ride.
If I had a 1080ti i wouldn't even wait to see how it pans out. I'd just flat-out ignore the 20xx series.

Soldato
2x performance is amazing, and a big fat lie probably.

RTX ON vs performance is also something I need to see evidence on. If 6 or 8 or 10 gigarays is not enough to sufficiently power RTX, why adopt a tech early which you will just have turned off most of the time?

To gain the hearts and minds of developers, embrace and extend (ie subsume) open source equivalent standards before they become established, marketing a unique selling point to get your otherwise lacklustre new products to sell at a higher price point, etc. Whether a feature is usable or not is the least reason not to sell something for a marketing-led company.

Soldato
Well they did say it was 6x the performance of the previous generation and have plastered that all over the marketing

I was going to say "no, they said 6x faster than previous generations, not specifically The previous generation, i.e. 6x faster than Pascal" and then double-check my wording. Lo and behold...

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/20-series/

THE 6X FASTER CLAIM IS GONE :eek:

Edit: no, it's still there at the bottom, it's just been taken off the opening paragraph. My bad.

Edit 2:
This gives you up to 6X the performance of previous-generation graphics cards

"Previous-generation cards" is nebulous and not specifically saying "the previous generation". If Turing genuinely was 6x faster than Pascal they'd be shouting it from the rooftops and overstocked 10 series be damned.

Associate
The on-paper specs look a little disappointing to me - it's more or less a small bump to 1080Ti with RTX features attached. There's a reason gameplay performance testing results are embargo'd until after pre-orders have been open for a while...

Soldato
"Turing is 6x Pascal performance for ray-traced graphics."
6 x 0 = 0

I've seen a Titan Xp fail to get anything resembling a playable frame rate while running Ray Tracing on Quake II, Nvidia's claim that performance will multiply sixfold sounds great but considering what's being multiplied I'm definitely going to be waiting to see benchmarks before I even contemplate upgrading lol.

Back
Top Bottom