Butchers and Chemists

Soldato
My chemist asks more questions than my doc tbh ,how are you going on with the meds ? any side effects ? time scales for coming off ,also they pointed out i only had 14 tabs yet i paid so they offered to ring through to cancel ,get 28 tabs and save me some money
Vegan so no butchers

Soldato
Our local pharmacy is pretty woeful. Incredibly slow, and through the winter there were often queues of elderly people waiting outside in the cold for over 30 minutes to collect prescriptions.

When I (rarely) go in, I've noticed they will often look for a prescription in several different areas, and will have to check every bag in each location. Often one person can't find it. Then it seems a coin toss between them either saying it's not ready yet or asking someone else who'll do the same search but come up with the pills.

"Cool story, bro!" I know, but it doesnt seem to fit with this, "It takes time because they're being do diligent" narrative.

Associate
Yup

The chemist (actual chemist, not assistant) in ours is always in the background sorting out the prescriptions as they come in, chasing bits up or if not visible he's usually in the side room with someone offering advice/doing things like poking them with large needles.

Having said that, I very rarely have to wait at my local chemist for more than a couple of minutes unless it's really busy as they're fairly well organised and most prescriptions are sent electronically (with the chemist recommending you do it a week in advance, and the GP saying to allow 3 working days), so the longest wait is usually the assistant finding the print out, confirming address and then looking for the prescription bag on the shelf (they note on the print out which cubby it's in).

Ours is the same, 3 working days (although it's usually ready next day If you do a cheeky popin). Although not the 15 minute thing but remember that from when I was a wee kid going in with Mum :cry:.

Commissario
I'm on a repeat prescription and don't even get the reissue a week in advance it's like 4 days.

they expect to interrupt peoples treatment or what?

the last time I picked mine up the woman was moaning I only waited 2 days... probably going to move my nominated chemist elsewhere.

it's so hard to grab a pack of pills and put them in a paper bag
They don't expect to interrupt people's treatment.

They do however expect people to generally be able to plan ahead enough to order their repeats before they run out, you know how you get a month's worth of medication in a pack? Well they sort of expect the average person to be able to remember to place a repeat request at 3 weeks...

It's worth noting as I say the GP expects you to allow 3 working days, so the pharmacy saying "7 days"" allows for the GP to to deal with ordering it, then the pharmacy to receive that prescription and get it in (and for weekends/bank holidays), and means you don't arrive at the pharmacy to find they're missing something because you're on an unusual prescription and they may already have dispensed their only on hand stock (pharmacies don't hold large amounts of everything, certain uncommon meds they might only keep a handful in stock).
If you're really worried IIRC the GP and pharmacy will allow you to do a 6 month automated repeat where the pharmacy automatically does the prescription for 6 months, but if you're on variable medication that can mean you end up with a stack of unused meds.

As others have said it's far more than picking an item off the shelf, as the Pharmacist is highly trained in what they're dispensing, knows the side effects and contraindications of what is being given out (to a far higher degree than a doctor), and will if it's a new prescription usually make sure the person picking it up knows what it's for and how to take it.
It's also worth noting that your pharmacist can and will pick up on all sorts of mistakes the GP might make in regards to dosage or suitability and from memory has a legal obligation to ensure the medication is correctly dispensed according to the prescription and suitable (IE check that the GP hasn't given a 5 year old the adult dosage by mistake, or that the patient knows that the antibiotics are going to interfere with "the pill", or not to eat certain foods whilst on them).

Last edited:
Soldato
I am on repeat prescriptions and when I put the last strip of pills in pills per day box I go online to surgery and order the new lot - Pick it up 6 working days later -The Surgery has it's own pharmacy and the women in there never really stop from what I have seen.
They used to give me 2 months worth but for some reason its now one months supply.

Soldato
Long time reader but I may as well as join in now lol.

deep joy
50743172871_081c5c38ae_o_d.gif

I went into a butchers shop once or twice before. Nasty grim places that stink of death. I'm not a veggie but places like that push me in that direction. I prefer the more clinical pre-packaged meat from Sainsburys. I walk past a chemist shop often and I have even bought some pain killers in there before. I can't say I have ever been tempted to write on a computer forum about it though. Buses annoy me. Sometimes they are empty and sometimes they are full. I don't like it when they are full. I dislike pubs and the way they now spill out into the street, blocking paths with tables and chairs. I dislike the way that foolish young men and women consume far too much alcohol and end up shouting, fighting and vomiting in the street.

Permabanned
OP
I went into a butchers shop once or twice before. Nasty grim places that stink of death. I'm not a veggie but places like that push me in that direction. I prefer the more clinical pre-packaged meat from Sainsburys. I walk past a chemist shop often and I have even bought some pain killers in there before. I can't say I have ever been tempted to write on a computer forum about it though. Buses annoy me. Sometimes they are empty and sometimes they are full. I don't like it when they are full. I dislike pubs and the way they now spill out into the street, blocking paths with tables and chairs. I dislike the way that foolish young men and women consume far too much alcohol and end up shouting, fighting and vomiting in the street.

I remember the sickness was forever
I remember snuff videos
Cold Septembers, the distances we covered
The fist fights on the beach, the bizzies round us up
Do it all again next week
An embryonic love
The first time that it scarred
Embarrass yourself for someone
Crying like a child
And the boy who kicked Tom's head in
Still bugs me now
That's the thing, it lingers
And claws you when you're down
I was far too scared to hit him
But I would hit him in a heartbeat now
That's the thing with anger
It begs to stick around
So it can fleece you of your beauty
And leave you spent with nowt to offer
It makes you hurt the ones who love you
You hurt them like they're nothing
(Oh, oh)
(Oh, oh)
(Oh, oh)
See I spent my teens enraged
Spiraling in silence
And I armed myself with a grin
'Cause I was always the ********' joker
Buried in their humor
Amongst the white noise and boys' boys
Locker-room talkin' lads' lads
Drenched in cheap drink and snide fags
A mirrored picture of my old man
Oh God, the kid's a dab hand
Canny chanter, but he looks sad
God, the kid looks so sad
God, the kid looks so sad
She said the debt, the debt, the debt
So I thought about shifting gear
And how she wept and wept and wept
Luck came and died 'round here
I see my mother
The DWP see a number
She cries on the floor encumbered
I'm seventeen going under
I'm seventeen going under
(Oh, oh)
I'm seventeen going under (oh, oh)
(Oh, oh)
(Oh, oh)
(Oh, oh)
(Oh)

Soldato
Our local pharmacy is pretty woeful. Incredibly slow, and through the winter there were often queues of elderly people waiting outside in the cold for over 30 minutes to collect prescriptions.

When I (rarely) go in, I've noticed they will often look for a prescription in several different areas, and will have to check every bag in each location. Often one person can't find it. Then it seems a coin toss between them either saying it's not ready yet or asking someone else who'll do the same search but come up with the pills.

"Cool story, bro!" I know, but it doesnt seem to fit with this, "It takes time because they're being do diligent" narrative.

Our old pharmacy was like that and it was really irritating, like you say they just didn't organise the collections properly and in fact there was one occasion where they got my daughter's prescription wrong (luckily I caught it).

Saying that, this pharmacy was the exception and generally I have a lot of respect for pharmacists and their staff

Back
Top Bottom