Button confirms Mclaren for 2012 and beyond

Soldato
button was never going to sign for anyone else. was obvious.

hopefully hes got his pr appearances amount down and hopefully hamilton will when he signs a new contract so they can concentrate more on racing.

Soldato
I think Button is truly happy at McLaren and enjoying being part of that team. I think his relationship with Lewis is really good too. I would say there is something to be said for having same nationality drivers/team, but I get the feeling from Mercedes that it's not all hugs and kisses there.

Associate
Great news!! didnt really want to see him leave for another team, at mclaren he's pretty much got a guarantee that he can go for race wins as the car is usually there or there abouts - with the bonus of having a stab at the title if the car is good enough for it (dont think that would be that case if he was at Red Bull / Ferrari)

JRS

JRS

Soldato
I was very much doom-and-gloom when the move to McLaren first happened, as I figured that one of two scenarios would happen:

1) The team would favour Lewis overtly, and Button wouldn't get a proper crack at things
2) The team would **** up trying to accomodate both drivers, as with the Alonso-Hamilton 'partnership'

Happily, I was completely wrong!

Caporegime
Good for Button, good for McLaren and good for us, the fans.

The big question is how Lewis will respond. I, like others, expected him to give Button a thorough schooling yet that hasn't happened at all. And whilst Button has matured, improved and generally come to look like the world champion he is, Lewis has gone backwards this season. He needs, I think, some better management to deliver on his promise. I just hope he can.

Soldato
I thought hamilton was younger than 26, and thought button was older than 31.

Still, there's lots of growing up to be had between 26 and 31. I know I'm not the same person I was 5 years ago and I fully expect we'll be comparing the mature hamilton who's seen it all and been through the wars to younger more aggressive kids in the years to come.

Soldato
I get the feeling, from the comments made on the F1 forum, while evasive, Whitmarsh did say that he had no plans to get rid of Button for a long time to come, so it is quite possible that they were already discussing a long term deal. Button has proved this year, that he is more than capable of driving a front end car, that the brawn year wasn't a flash in the pan, and that he has the maturity to hold the team together well, while his teammate is having what can only be described as a bit of a dog.

McLaren now have exactly what they need, a solid dependable driver, that can be up at the front, scoring valuable points, even winning races when the opportunity presents itself. And a younger, more impetuous driver, that will benefit from his teammates experience and calmness, while also bringing in the points.

Trick now is to fit hamilton with warning lights and bumpers..

Man of Honour
So expect to see Button driving McLaren GT cars or Mercedes DTM cars after he retires from F1? Would be good to see.

Yeah would be good if he did. I get the feeling he loves Mclaren Group and is a good ambassador for them so would be surprised if he left racing all together.

Back
Top Bottom