Buy Cable Modem

Soldato
Do you know if you can you own cable modem (Not Router) to use with Virign?

The modems are property of Virgin Media, and they are also tied to the account of the person they were given to. There isn't any way (any legal way) to use anything other than the modem provided.

Commissario
The modems are property of Virgin Media, and they are also tied to the account of the person they were given to. There isn't any way (any legal way) to use anything other than the modem provided.

Aye, and iirc you cannot even illegally connect a modem to the VM network anymore as they made some fairly serious changes to the security for the network a while back (IIRC you used to be able to clone the modem or something, but now the network checks for dupes, and iirc knows what UBR etc a specific modem is meant to be on).

Soldato
Aye, and iirc you cannot even illegally connect a modem to the VM network anymore as they made some fairly serious changes to the security for the network a while back (IIRC you used to be able to clone the modem or something, but now the network checks for dupes, and iirc knows what UBR etc a specific modem is meant to be on).

If they do protect against cloned modems now then that's a great improvement. A couple years back I had some connectivity issues, and the engineers online did whatever remote diagnostics they usually do, and when I pasted my modem log and it differed from what their remote diagnostics page was showing they figured out that someone had somehow cloned my modem and was using it on the network at the same time as me, and that was what caused my connectivity issues.

Back
Top Bottom