Buyer asking for V5 number before seeing car?

Associate
Hi all,

We're looking to sell my wifes Puma so advertised it in the usual places.

I got a call this afternoon from a chap up north who a) seemed very pushy b) started negotiating price there and then and c) once i'd given him our address asked me to text him the V5 number.

Why would someone want the V5 number before they have have brought the car? What could they gain by having this number?

Am i right thinking that something is wrong here?

:confused::confused:

Man of Honour
You cannot HPI check a car properly without the V5 serial number and issue date.

Does seem odd to HPI this early in the process, mind.

Soldato
You say 'Up north'. Presumably the guy would need to travel to see the car?

I travelled about 130 miles to get my current car. Started HPI check before setting off as I didn't want to wast the time travelling if the car wasn't worth buying. Rather pay a bit of cash rather than drive for a couple of hours to find the V5 was dodgy.

Caporegime
as above he will be wanting to HPI check the car

and also to check the MOT history for which you need the V5 number.

Any MOTs done since the new computerised system came in place are recorded. If you failed, it records what it failed on, etc..

I'd tell him about anything that may show up on this, and explain that you are uncomfortable handing the information out over the phone. Tell him what he will find on these checks, then invite him to do the checks for himself once he's seen the car and met you in person to convince you he's genuine.

If he gets funny he's likely going to waste your time by turning up and not buying anyway, so tell him to take it or leave it.

Back
Top Bottom