Buying a domain of someone?

Soldato
Not sure if this is the right place but please move if you think there is a more appropriate forum.

Someone has contacted me out of the blue offering to sell me a good domain name which is relevant to my industry. They arent asking mega amounts for it (£300) but I cant help thinking its a potential scam? I cant find much information on the person who has sent the email to me but a whois lookup on the domain does show the person owning the domain.

Can anyone advise on any safeguards I can try to put in place? For £300 I cant see it being worth getting solicitors involved as chances are they would charge me about the same as what they are wanting for the domain.

Any info appreciated.

Soldato
OP
That could be a good option thanks. How do you actually transfer the title of a domain? Obviously with goods you will physically receive them so could release the money but having never transferred a domain Im unsure hence the potential issue of thinking it could be a scam. Could the domain transferred be reversed etc after the payments have been made for instance?

Sorry for what might seen stupid questions but just trying to cover my back.

Soldato
Escrow.com used them before for domain transfers they'll take control of the domain themselves and then transfer it to you before you give them permission to release the money.

The seller can't take control again without hacking your registrar account.

Fee would be around $25 for that amount iirc.

Back
Top Bottom