Buying a house to renovate

Man of Honour
The best advice you can get is go away and do your own research.

Even if someone else does the same on here it doesn't really matter. Their location might be up and coming therefore lots of money to be made in fixer uppers.

You need to know your local market to see how lucrative it could be.

FYI - My family owns over 30 properties out on rent. Some of them have been great others not so much. It depends a lot on the local market.

That is some portfolio. If I had even just 10 of my house (and it's performance) over the last 5 years I could be a very wealthy man. Sadly I don't and I am not so will have to make do with just the 150k mine has gained in the last 5 years since I bought it, of course that means nothing in reality as id need to go somewhere and to buy the same or similar again which where I am is fairly unlikely.

As for the OP I think it's just one of these things, if you have the balls and the money then go for it. See what happens. You never know until you try right?

Caporegime
That is some portfolio. If I had even just 10 of my house (and it's performance) over the last 5 years I could be a very wealthy man. Sadly I don't and I am not so will have to make do with just the 150k mine has gained in the last 5 years since I bought it, of course that means nothing in reality as id need to go somewhere and to buy the same or similar again which where I am is fairly unlikely.

As for the OP I think it's just one of these things, if you have the balls and the money then go for it. See what happens. You never know until you try right?

the best ones in terms of return are commercial properties they have the lowest costs. plus if they don't pay you can kick them out. with residential it's a minefield plus overheads are insane and constant complaints when it's them that has caused the issues in most cases. brand new carpets put in when they moved in and they have wrecked them within a short space of time. never clean the cooker and want a new one even though a new one was put in when they moved in, etc.

ended up just giving them all to a company to look after. too much hassle and stress doing it yourself.

Soldato
Always, without fail, every single time, read, then re-read the legal pack for any auction properties. It is so easy to get caught out with something, and if you don't understand something 100% find out someone who can answer that question. Good luck, it is a long process the first time around. :)
More like pay to get someone who knows what they are doing to read the legal pack.

Auction properties are auction properties for a reason and often not just because of physical condition.

Sgarrista
Commissario
FYI - My family owns over 30 properties out on rent. Some of them have been great others not so much. It depends a lot on the local market.

Impressive! Im about to get my first BTL sorted in the next few weeks if all goes to plan with a large deposit, and once thats rolling remortgage to pull the equity out and buy 2 more. Exciting stuff :)

Caporegime
Out of interest, how many of them do you own, what type are they and how did you acquire them?

bought a large house in the west end (best part of the city) way back when for peanuts, they also bought 3-4 fields for peanuts too on the other side of the country for initially business use for 10 years then for residential housing.

The home went up in value by over 10 times what was paid for it over a period of 30 years. The land even more so when it got planning permission to build over 100 houses on it, still own the land but because its a valuable asset you can get equity against it. the home was remortgaged freeing up equity to buy 10-13 houses in a not so nice area from the equity freed up just from the home alone. It's not the scummiest place but I wouldn't want to live there personally. As an example imagine buying somewhere in London 35 years ago for 100k and it being worth £1.5 million today. You could free up £1 million in equity and buy 10 * 120k flats say in Manchester or something to rent out with 20k mortgage each. This is just a simple example.

The commercial properties were initially ran as the family business. So they were the bread and butter. Bought several along the way and then eventually just rented them out.

Right now I'd say buy to let is dead. You don't get any of the breaks you used to get before. In terms of you could offset mortgage interest payments against tax paid, etc. you don't get any of those as well as increases in SDLT they have hit buy to let very hard.

i'd still say property is a good investment but it's nowhere near as lucrative as it was previously unless you happen to pick the right area in which property values continue to soar.

commercial property again can be a minefield. lets say you buy a corner shop and lease it out for 25 years at £25K per year. if an aldi opens up 5 mins away you will lose hard. so the risks are far greater these days as the big boys have a lot of clout and are constantly expanding into smaller areas now to increase their market share.

Things are certainly harder now.

Which is why it's now likely impossible to replicate the above.

Which is why people who are getting in on it now don't make that much unless they have a lot of cash lying about. It's why foreign investors are buying everything up in the UK. They have bundles of cash and can take the risks.

The problem with the plan is market correction.
My first house I bought was someone who did up properties, technically he didn't, he had money and got others to do it for him, but it was his "job"
He was trying to recover from bankruptcy, he had over extended and the crash of the late 80s/early 90s took him out. This was his first house back in the field, it was splitting what was two houses that had been combined into one, back into two.
Was a nightmare dealing with BT who kept insisting we had a phone line when we didnt. I was connected to the house next door not ours pre split. Eventually after begging them they came out to "fix the broken line". BT guy on arrival immediately said oh I will need to run a new cable from the post as you don't have a line.

Also, you used to get a lot of these programmes on TV of people doing this. I used to remember watching a fair few and it was pretty obvious in most cases the main gain came from rising property prices, and far less from the actual work done.
If property prices are rising 3% per year then you can make 3% by doing virtually nothing, just holding which is fine unless you need to fund it.
The ones who made/lost most, seemed to be the ones who gambled most by the significantly run down houses.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Unless you're really handy and knowledgeable when buying property it's probably safer for you to find someone who already does this and go halves with them on your first. Learn the ways of the flippage

Back
Top Bottom