Buying a house without a bath!

Soldato
Mines a bungalow and doesn't have a bath... Possibly different target audience! I hate baths (even step in shower baths). Showers are much nicer but appreciate they're useful for kids (and dogs)

I don't intend to put a bath in..

Last edited:
Associate
When we last refitted the bathroom mrs holdi didn't want a bath.
I was against the idea for the reasons already mentioned in the thread and put in a shower bath.
Neither of us have had a bath in the 14 years we have lived here.
We are now thinking about taking the bath out and going with a wet room.

Soldato
I've been in my house for 7 years and haven't used the bath once! Wife uses it once a week though. Shower is where it is at. That said, it is a four bed family home and there are just the two of us. A family will most likely buy it after us, and I'd imagine that they'd expect a bath.

Soldato
as a home with kids a bath is required and would put me of if buying a house without a bath, actually i was put of when i saw a house recently and the en suite was just a bath no shower!!! i mean why

Man of Honour
Personally I wouldn't buy a house without a bath / potential to easily add a bath; my wife and I both prefer bathing to showers (I would estimate during my lifetime I've probably had around 5-10x as many baths as showers) and we also have a young child so easier with a bath. Our house has two showers but one of them gets used maybe a couple of times a year.

Soldato
I couldn't have a shower without a bath so would end up putting a bath in and vice verser. My shower is over the bath and it's not a problem at all.

I've looked at houses with the bathroom downstairs and nothing upstairs. Those are the houses you want to avoid!

Why? My bathroom is downstairs but that's because they didn't have bathrooms when built. Just an outside toilet and tin bath in front of the fire I assume.

Soldato
I don't know - We have a bath but I don't think it's been used in 3/4 years......Kids use the shower only. So do me and my wife. I'd happily rip it out for a full wet room.

Man of Honour
Why? My bathroom is downstairs but that's because they didn't have bathrooms when built. Just an outside toilet and tin bath in front of the fire I assume.

It's annoying not having a bathroom on the same floor as the bedroom as you have to take the stairs etc, potentially walk over cold flooring as well (ground floor flooring will typically be cooler).

Our first house had a downstairs bathroom and in hindsight we should have kept searching for a more suitable property, but it seemed to meet most of our criteria.

Associate
It's annoying not having a bathroom on the same floor as the bedroom as you have to take the stairs etc, potentially walk over cold flooring as well (ground floor flooring will typically be cooler).

Our first house had a downstairs bathroom and in hindsight we should have kept searching for a more suitable property, but it seemed to meet most of our criteria.

This. I'm also not the only one from talks I've had with friends or colleauges. I think it's a relatively common thing for people to want the main bathroom to be on the same floor as the bedrooms.

It certainly wont matter to everyone, but it does to some.

Soldato
yeah I looked at a house, the bathroom and toilet was on the ground floor, behind the kitchen. So if you were upstairs and wanted to use the shower, or go toilet have to go downstairs pass the living room, kitchen.

Imagaine doing that wanting a shower, but clothes are still upstairs, so you have to pass those in the kitchen and living room in a towel.

Or you do a smelly dump open the toilet door and someone is cooking dinner. Lovely.

Soldato
Fwiw we bought our house in 2009 and it just had a shower, when my daughter was born in 2014 we had a bath fitted (gutted the bathroom and replaced the lot) think it came to 1000 or so all in (didn't redo walls, just for fitting of a bath and toilet). It's bot the biggest job, I think it took the plumber a few days.

Man of Honour
yeah I looked at a house, the bathroom and toilet was on the ground floor, behind the kitchen. So if you were upstairs and wanted to use the shower, or go toilet have to go downstairs pass the living room, kitchen.

Imagaine doing that wanting a shower, but clothes are still upstairs, so you have to pass those in the kitchen and living room in a towel.

Or you do a smelly dump open the toilet door and someone is cooking dinner. Lovely.

Our old house you literally had to walk through the kitchen diner to get to the stairs, so not even a case of being able to swiftly dash past a doorway. I'd question how someone would get in the bathroom in the first place without any clothes however :)

The smelly dump scenario can happen regardless of where the main bathroom is, as plenty of houses have downstairs toilets. Personally I dislike the fact that many houses put toilets in the bathroom anyway, as the smelly dump is 10x worse if you are trying to have a relaxing bath, at least the kitchen is another room.

My beliefs are probably shaped a bit by the house I grew up in, which had a seperate WC next to the bathroom. I always found it weird going to other people's houses and finding a toilet in the actual bathroom :eek:

Soldato
I find it weird that houses with a separate toilet next to the bathroom but usually have no hand basin in to wash your hands. Yuck.

Also the thing about smelly dumps next to the kitchen, well that happens every day up down the country as anything built in the last 20 years or so all have a downstairs cloaks. And the way some house builders try to squeeze as many houses onto a plot, the downstairs toilet can even be directly onto the living room as per Avant homes.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the advice, looks like we are probably going for something else now

As with any purchase though who knows what will happen in between now and getting the keys!

Bes

Bes

Soldato
We just re-did our bathroom and put a bath back in - despite it being a 2 bed maisonette in zone 2 London, which is unlikely to attract families.
For me, it is quite risky to limit your potential pool of purchasers- no one is going to not buy a house because it doesn't have a huge shower but they might buy it because it does not have a bath.

My compromise was to put a bath in with a huge standing area and steep sides - meaning it acts as quite a good shower cubicle. I went for a Carran Quantum (Not that expensive but not that good looking), but a Bette Ocean (Very expensive but very nice) is also an option.
Best of both worlds in my opinion as those steep sided baths give a large standing area, and with glass screens make for a very decent shower...

Soldato
We just re-did our bathroom and put a bath back in - despite it being a 2 bed maisonette in zone 2 London, which is unlikely to attract families.
For me, it is quite risky to limit your potential pool of purchasers- no one is going to not buy a house because it doesn't have a huge shower but they might buy it because it does not have a bath.

My compromise was to put a bath in with a huge standing area and steep sides - meaning it acts as quite a good shower cubicle. I went for a Carran Quantum (Not that expensive but not that good looking), but a Bette Ocean (Very expensive but very nice) is also an option.
Best of both worlds in my opinion as those steep sided baths give a large standing area, and with glass screens make for a very decent shower...

Hmm i have yet to do up my house, but really dislike baths/shower baths.

Advantage is that the 1 existing bathroom is quite large, and imagine a bungalow is preferred by old people and they'll like showers rather than climbing into showers (i know my grandparents are the same). Alternate is its a 3 bed house and might put some with very young kids off... Swings and roundabouts.

Soldato
I certainly wouldn't be too concerned about buying without a bath. Providing there's room for one then it wouldn't put me off at all. I'd much rather have a shower than a bath anyway!

Back
Top Bottom