• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

buying a new GPU on Wednesday

C64

C64

Soldato
which resolution do you play at ? could get a lesser card and be okay at 1080p until the new cards this year

Associate
Do you have to buy it on Wednesday? New cards might be out next week (with a strong emphasis on the word might) or certainly in the next few weeks/months. Otherwise if you must buy 5700XT is the best performer of those mentioned.

Associate
Do you have to buy it on Wednesday? New cards might be out next week (with a strong emphasis on the word might) or certainly in the next few weeks/months. Otherwise if you must buy 5700XT is the best performer of those mentioned.

Gahhh! Also in the market for a GPU and the impending new drops is frustrating! Can't decide if I should pick something temp up to tide me over, get something decent like a 5700 xt or just wait until the new stuff comes.

Soldato
I'd be tempted to pay the EVGA tax and get one of their cards and use the upgrade program if the 3000 series cards do get released.

Associate
Do you have to buy it on Wednesday? New cards might be out next week (with a strong emphasis on might) or certainly in the next few weeks/months.
Gahhh! Also in the market for a GPU and the impending new drops is frustrating! Can't decide if I should pick something temp up to tide me over, get something decent like a 5700 xt or just wait until the new stuff comes.
Depends what you have now. Arguably buying right now is the WORST time to buy in the last ten years, AMD are clearly about to at least have something decent launching later this year (RDNA 2) as are Nvidia (AMPERE)so for the first time in ages there should be genuine competition. Couple those facts with the impending launch of next generation consoles (Xbox series X and Playstation 5) and the financial woes wrought on consumers by Covid 19 and you have a perfect storm of factors to drive down prices/radically improve GPU performance per £/$. Wait if you possibly can. All will be revealed within 5 months at the latest.

Associate
Do you have to buy it on Wednesday? New cards might be out next week (with a strong emphasis on might) or certainly in the next few weeks/months.

Depends what you have now. Arguably buying right now is the WORST time to buy in the last ten years, AMD are clearly about to at least have something decent launching later this year (RDNA 2) as are Nvidia (AMPERE)so for the first time in ages there should be genuine competition. Couple those facts with the impending launch of next generation consoles (Xbox series X and Playstation 5) and the financial woes wrought on consumers by Covid 19 and you have a perfect storm of factors to drive down prices/radically improve GPU performance per £/$. Wait if you possibly can. All will be revealed within 5 months at the latest.

I know, it feels like a really really awful time to buy. I literally have nothing at the moment, my old 7950 finally died a little while ago and I've been slowly building a new system. I think a cheap temp card might be the way to go. Would still be an upgrade on what I'm used to and would let me save something for future releases.

Associate
Soldato
New cards won't be aout until September IMHO, so you need somethign to tide you over... what about 2nd hand 570 off ebay, I've got one for £80 and that way you can sell on similar price when you get a big jobbie later int he year?

Associate
New cards won't be aout until September IMHO, so you need somethign to tide you over... what about 2nd hand 570 off ebay, I've got one for £80 and that way you can sell on similar price when you get a big jobbie later int he year?

That is definitely too long for me to wait!

so on Wednesday, I plan on buying a new GPU but I can't decide between RX 5700xt and an RTX 2060 super or at a push 2070 non-super

Whats your strat? Go big now or get something cheap and wait it out. By the way you could seriously try the oven/baking thing. its a bit mad, but it kept my 7950 alive for another 2 years after it 'died'

Soldato
That is definitely too long for me to wait!

Whats your strat? Go big now or get something cheap and wait it out. By the way you could seriously try the oven/baking thing. its a bit mad, but it kept my 7950 alive for another 2 years after it 'died'
Ageed, get a heat gun, taje the fan etc off and then for 10 minutes just heat soak (not too hot or close obviously) the card for a good 10 minutes covering everything... then brush off, check it for anything obviously and see what it does!

Back
Top Bottom