Buying a new Samsung phone - where shall I go? (Unlocked/new to this!)

Consigliere
Weirdly, I have never actually purchased a new phone. I have always done it through EE as an upgrade.

Is there a main 'go to' website to look at? I would want to have it new and currently looking at the S20.

I am looking/love the Samsung S range and not looking to get the very latest phone but so somewhere with a lot of choice would be great. :)

Thanks.

EDIT: After seeing the Samsung trade in thread, may just sell it to CeX after I have swapped everything across to get back £90-£100.

Last edited:
Associate
Weirdly, I have never actually purchased a new phone. I have always done it through EE as an upgrade.

Is there a main 'go to' website to look at? I would want to have it new and currently looking at the S20.

I am looking/love the Samsung S range and not looking to get the very latest phone but so somewhere with a lot of choice would be great. :)

Thanks.

EDIT: After seeing the Samsung trade in thread, may just sell it to CeX after I have swapped everything across to get back £90-£100.

Still looking to buy a new Samsung? I am taking a delivery of a A52s 5G today so i can let you know how it goes. I always look for phones around the £300 range as mid-range phones now days are a no brainer over £1000+ high-end (you just don't gain enough for the huge jump in price).

Consigliere
OP
Still looking to buy a new Samsung? I am taking a delivery of a A52s 5G today so i can let you know how it goes. I always look for phones around the £300 range as mid-range phones now days are a no brainer over £1000+ high-end (you just don't gain enough for the huge jump in price).

If you could that would be great, thanks! I have only used the Galaxy S range - what are you coming from?

Soldato
If you could that would be great, thanks! I have only used the Galaxy S range - what are you coming from?

I've done 9 trade-ins with Samsung over the years phones/watches and never had a problem . Just document everything photos etc of trade in your sending to them , your likely to have problems on a new phone release due to numbers .

Soldato
You can get an unlocked, sim free phone in a lot of places, so I wouldn't really say there is a 'best' place to get one. I would suggest trying to get a UK/EU variant, or you may end up with network issues. Though that said my Hong Kong S10 worked absolutely fine over here.

The other thing to consider is the warranty - as whilst eBay can be very cheap, most manufacturers (Samsung included) won't honour a phone bought off Bob's Value Phone Store. So if that bothers you, best to stick to Samsung or a large respected retailer.

Associate

Coming from an Honor 8X and it was a great phone but unfortunately after that you can no longer get google play store on later models etc, used the A52s for a few days now and jesus it is lightyears better than the Honor 8X, clean UI not to much bloatware and the 120hz refresh rate damn ( same feeling as going from a 60hz monitor to 120hz ). Inscreen fingerprint sensor is snappy to say its a mid range phone and the camera is very sharp. Very pleased with the overal package but it is still early days but as it stands right now i could definitely recommend it.

Associate
I've got the A52s 5g and it really is a great phone. It's rated IP67 waterproof, has micro sd slot, headphone socket, 120hz super AMOLED screen with 800 nits brightness. I'd highly recommend it.

Soldato
Unless you’re hell bent on having mega specs, the A series is a great option.

The main differences you may notice are:

• Performance if gaming/using lots of social media apps
  • Camera

But it depends which device you’re upgrading from, and which features you’re looking for.

Soldato
@MrRockliffe - I have an S9 atm so I think anything would be an upgrade...!

Looking at an A52:

Performance will be similar, I would have thought, given the S9 had a flagship SoC and the A52 has a mid range SoC.

But you’ll find the overall experience much better on the A52, given it has a 90 Hz display and newer software.

The A52 5G might be a better option again, if you’d like a 120 Hz display and a more potent SoC.

Edit: S20 Fe would still be a great shout if you can get one, and a much better package compared to the S20 you’re looking at :)

Better than the A52 (5G) too.

Back
Top Bottom