Buying advice please. Something fun, fast and reliable. Up to £32k

Associate
Hi all

Im in the position to buy a second car and want something fast and fun. Im looking at new or less than a year old (as drive the deal has some great discounts on my shortlisted cars)

This is a bit of a one off purchase following retirement and spending this sort of money im wanting to get it right and hold on to it for a few years. My criteria is:

I want something fast, sounds decent if possible under acceleration, well made interior, reliable and low mileage. Prefer more than two seats (may be negotiable with wife!) I'm avoiding the diesel route as our second car is diesal and Ive owned diesels for the last 15 years.

Short list so far is:

Golf R

BMW M140i

Mercedes A35

Audi S3

Any other suggestions to add to my list?

Associate
2nd car, retirement, pcp, keep for years..... thought about buying something a little older, perhaps a bit more special and you wont lose your shirt on depreciation? All those cars are daily drivers pretty much and you wont have the same criteria for a 2nd car which comes out on sundays etc.

porsche cayman/boxster?

Associate
OP
2nd car, retirement, pcp, keep for years..... thought about buying something a little older, perhaps a bit more special and you wont lose your shirt on depreciation? All those cars are daily drivers pretty much and you wont have the same criteria for a 2nd car which comes out on sundays etc.

porsche cayman/boxster?
Sorry should have added it will be a daily driver for Mrs AB, well two days a week !

Associate
OP
Then just buy what ever the wife wants? Personally if i’d Just retired I woukdn’t Be dropping 30k plus on a fast depreciating asset. You could have some amazing experiences with 20k if that and still be driving round in a nice enough car.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. So far what we both like are the cars I mentioned. However, youveall given me some additional things to consider hence posting. The idea of an older car such as a Boxster or Caymen are certainly cars i hadnt considered shortlisting due to how old they are. The depreciation been slower is tempting not to mention spending less than £31k if i can!

Soldato
Thanks for taking the time to reply. So far what we both like are the cars I mentioned. However, youveall given me some additional things to consider hence posting. The idea of an older car such as a Boxster or Caymen are certainly cars i hadnt considered shortlisting due to how old they are. The depreciation been slower is tempting not to mention spending less than £31k if i can!
Do you even need two cars now you are retired? Certainly something worth considering, the running costs could be put to something much better!

Soldato
Porsche boxter S - my dad has one and I drive it roof down during the spring on country roads around Berkshire when he lets me. It’s thrilling, sounds wonderful, looks great (larger Porsche alloys and wider) is fast (especially when it hits its sweet spot) and is very easy to drive.

It’s known as one of the best drivers cars for a very good reason and very good examples can be had for significantly less than your budget that have already depreciated but should be fully serviced and cared for - I would look through the Porsche owners club for adverts etc for tidy examples

Associate
Fast and fun? On the road I found the Golf R and RS3 boring as they were too fast and planted to be fun, my 335i was also too fast to be fun on public roads. Unless you are going to track the car then what would you class as fun?

Soldato
Porsche boxter S - my dad has one and I drive it roof down during the spring on country roads around Berkshire when he lets me. It’s thrilling, sounds wonderful, looks great (larger Porsche alloys and wider) is fast (especially when it hits its sweet spot) and is very easy to drive.

It’s known as one of the best drivers cars for a very good reason and very good examples can be had for significantly less than your budget that have already depreciated but should be fully serviced and cared for - I would look through the Porsche owners club for adverts etc for tidy examples

£32k for one that’s less than a year old? Also, the requirement is for more than 2 seats...

Back
Top Bottom