Buying an amp... and speakers

Soldato
Right....

just posted this thread in Gen HW to sort out getting a HTPC built - http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=8782455#post8782455

I need some guidance on what home cinema amp to get (with suitable input to accept a HTPC input (optical or coax they all seem to be?) and then as well as that suitable speakers... size is important to me, and smaller the better ideally when it comes to the speakers

now... Im very new to all this, so I don't have a clue what I need... but to put it into comparison, I have a panasonic home theater setup at the moment and I think that sounds just great..... so I don't need some £7000 speaker cable... !

Associate
as a first system what about something cheap like the Sony STRDE400 or Yamaha RXV359 (Ive got this amp and find it excellent)
(I think its OK to post this isnt it as theyre not a competitor of OCUK ?) please delete if not.
http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=SONY-STRDE400

and some of these Tannoys which are a great speaker package. And just get the shop to sort you out some nice speaker cable which doesnt cost the earth.
http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=TANN-FX5.1-SIL

and preferably find a shop which can demo the kit for you.

Soldato
OP
DRZ said:
You need to specify a budget then!

How much music will be played through it?

I'll probably play a fair amount of my music through it... as the media centre will have access to all my mp3's

as for budget.. I dont know how much I need to spend to get it all.. is 250-300 quid doable?

Suspended
Look at second hand gear, stereo amplifier and speakers.
Don't bother buying a 5.1 speaker & 5.1 amp for that, it'll be rubbish. Since you're using it for music especially so.

Associate
squiffy said:
Look at second hand gear, stereo amplifier and speakers.
Don't bother buying a 5.1 speaker & 5.1 amp for that, it'll be rubbish. Since you're using it for music especially so.
if youre just wanting it for music get yourself a music amp, if you want it for movies get 5.1 amp.
Personally I find my 5.1 samp on stereo setting does music just fine for me, but Im no massive audiophile and really cannot be arsed with 2 amps as I watch a lot of TV, movies & htpc through mine.

Suspended
tinners said:
if youre just wanting it for music get yourself a music amp, if you want it for movies get 5.1 amp.
Personally I find my 5.1 samp on stereo setting does music just fine for me, but Im no massive audiophile and really cannot be arsed with 2 amps as I watch a lot of TV, movies & htpc through mine.

Are you saying you'll get anything relatively good total of £300? That includes 5 speakers plus a subwoofer, and av amplifier?

Budget av amps start at £300.

Permabanned
tinners said:

Agree with this. Depends what you want really, but my 5.1 amp does music good enough for me. Movies sound awesome though! Watched Gladiator last night, and the sound was fantastic. My amp was £200, with speakers, and has dual optical in.

Paul

EDIT: Reading a post above, my amp is also the Yamaha RXV359 amp with the speakers you get as part of the Yamaha AV59 package.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom