Buying an import

Soldato
Went to see a car the other day and quite liked it. The price was good and the condition excellent. However it was a 2005 and I know they didn't sell them over here at that time so it definitely has been imported.

I didn't agree to buy it at the time but I am still interested as the service history is great and the mileage excellent as is the condition.

Being imported I thought I better run an insurance check. This is were the problem has arisen. The online checkers give me a choice of 2 different cars with that reg number. They are the right make but both the wrong model.

Is this normal or as I am suspecting it is dodgy? I have never bought an import before.

Soldato
Imports are never quite right on reg checkers i've found! Though never come across one with the wrong model.

With imports i always go with the assumption they are clocked so buy on condition rather than the odometer and give a full service on purchase! Its funny how jap imports are nearly all ~60k miles :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Associate
i would imagine this has been entered into the system wrong so you will have to inform them by phone of the exact model, most insurers will try and verify this when you try and purchase a policy anyway and run though engine and spec etc. If you do insure it under a different model dont expect to get a pay out, providing you have it insured as what it is i can see no problem with it.

In my experience jap imports have typically been better examples than a lot of UK cars. out of interest, what is it?

My car is a Jap import and I have no paperwork for it. All I did was an HPI text check.
I find many insurers do not know what it is from the registration plate. However Admiral did when I told them it over the phone, yet an online quote couldn't find it. Wierd.

Soldato
Alarm bells would be ringing for me if it's an import and the seller isn't telling you so.

I've got RenaultSport Clio 182 (UK model with Cup packs), but you have to be careful with them as there's quite a few European imports knocking about and they're different spec. That said, they're all made in the same French factory :p.

Soldato
The reason Jap imports generally have lower mileage (and better condition) is because of their ridiculously stringent MOT (Shaken). Can often be more financially sound to export a perfectly good car rather than scrapping it.

Associate
No I knew it was imported as I know these cars ceased being sold in this engine model and spec in 2001, the car was manufactured in 2005.

by the sounds of it its probably not imported, maybe just hasn't been registered for a few years. why would they sell a rhd car in Italy?? did the seller mention anything or have you just assumed?

Associate
Alfa 156’s are pretty cool cars :), chances are it was a special order or there is a remote chance that its sat in storage at a dealers somewhere and registered at a later date, it does happen occasionally. There are a lot of alfa enthusiasts out there so someone could have requested it at the factory and had it supplied in 2005. Get your head into the paperwork and ask the seller.

Soldato
OP
Unfortunately it seems to be over before it started.

Walked into work this morning to find the company is closing with immediate effect to many of our jobs. The Alfa was going to be for the missus to run about in and me to have a hoon in at weekends to get me out of the diesel.

Looks like we will only need one car for the moment :(

Back
Top Bottom