Buying one of OCUK's prebuilt PCs. Could I save money on the OS?

Associate
I currently have a pc with a 980ti which is dying, main reason for my upgrade. I'll probably to a 3070 or 3080, not sure yet, but I am wondering if I could use the SSD which has windows 10 in this PC when I get my new one and just transfer it over, or would that cause issues? Windows would cost an extra £110. I am thinking OCUK might want the OS so they can do tests etc. too? Not sure how it works

Soldato
You could use your copy of Windows 10 if it's a retail version, if not then keys can be picked up for cheap if you have a look around and you can specify you don't want an OS installed on some of the pre builds with custom options.

Associate
It is normally best to have a fresh install of windows for a new mobo/pc. If you have issues then it would be almost impossible to troubleshoot accurately if you were using an old OS.

Win10 is actually free, this is no a joke it is fact. Goto Microsoft website and search for Windows 10 installation and look for the Windows 10 installation media. The tool you download creates a bootable USB stick that is identical to a retail version , just without the key. This allows you to install Win10 and it works exactly like a normal version but it has a watermark on screen (barely visible) and you cannot change desktop backgrounds. You can get a key elsewhere (or see if your old key is allowed ) if you want to have full visual control.

Caporegime
I currently have a pc with a 980ti which is dying, main reason for my upgrade. I'll probably to a 3070 or 3080, not sure yet, but I am wondering if I could use the SSD which has windows 10 in this PC when I get my new one and just transfer it over, or would that cause issues? Windows would cost an extra £110. I am thinking OCUK might want the OS so they can do tests etc. too? Not sure how it works
They’ll install windows themselves to test the machine but then format the drive before sending the PC out to you.

Associate
Just be carefull where you buy the keys from.

In 2020, I brought a key for cheap for a new build. I had no problems with it. Last year, my brother in law brought a key from the same website. He got an already activated error message, with an opotion to activate this PC. Its worked fine ever since. My friend brought a key from the same site (same time as me), and it didn't work at all, although he waited over a year to use it. He ended up paying the same amount to buy another key from elsehwere, and that one worked.

Soldato
Just swap the drive.

There is no inherent reason to "clean install" nowadays, with space being bountiful. Only if the change triggers a licence check.

Sure, reset if you want to, you will gain some HDD space, but do not do it "just because", it is not like it used to be.

Associate
Just be carefull where you buy the keys from.

In 2020, I brought a key for cheap for a new build. I had no problems with it. Last year, my brother in law brought a key from the same website. He got an already activated error message, with an opotion to activate this PC. Its worked fine ever since. My friend brought a key from the same site (same time as me), and it didn't work at all, although he waited over a year to use it. He ended up paying the same amount to buy another key from elsehwere, and that one worked.
That tells me if you buy a key from one of these sites, use it, otherwise after awhile they'll just resell it

Associate
That tells me if you buy a key from one of these sites, use it, otherwise after awhile they'll just resell it

That probably explains it. I did wait about 4-5 months to use mine, but had no problems. My mate waited 16+ months, and his expired. My brother-in-law used it within weeks, but only got an intial error, but its been fine ever since.

Associate
My windows activation is tied to my microsoft account.

You can actually activate it, the same way you would if you changed your motherboard for example. It tends to automatically detect the change and then activate.

Message is along the lines of "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account"

I've not had to pay or do anything since I bought windows 10 years ago and I've changed pc hardware countless times. The link to my account has always ended up in an activation.

So essentially you could install windows 10 on your new pc, and then activate it yourself by signing in to your account.

Associate
Probably do the same have plenty of copies of Windows 10 Pro and many spare SSD drives so save me £250+ on the custom build, getting too lazy to build my own rig now but might still do it if the price is a lot cheaper or can't get the wanted parts.

Associate
Good morning all

I am soon to buy a few gaming rig and to save a few quid I am going to use a bootable USB to install Windows 11 as I already have a key. I have not installed an operating system in many years and I am generally a little "out of touch" with new PCs/IT in general. My only concern is if the bootable USB does not find the drivers for the USB or ethernet during the build process. If it does not then I could be stuffed. The PC system I have my eye on lists the motherboard as an AMD B550 DDR4 Motherboard. The brand or make is not listed. I am assuming most motherboards these days still have an Ethernet port?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Associate
Good morning all

I am soon to buy a few gaming rig and to save a few quid I am going to use a bootable USB to install Windows 11 as I already have a key. I have not installed an operating system in many years and I am generally a little "out of touch" with new PCs/IT in general. My only concern is if the bootable USB does not find the drivers for the USB or ethernet during the build process. If it does not then I could be stuffed. The PC system I have my eye on lists the motherboard as an AMD B550 DDR4 Motherboard. The brand or make is not listed. I am assuming most motherboards these days still have an Ethernet port?

Any advice would be appreciated.
If you're buying a prebuilt new pc, whoever you're buying from, phone them up and ask what the componenet is. A B550 motherboard can range from £80 to over £200, and the really cheap ones have poor vrm's. If the seller wont tell you which board they're putting in, don't buy it. Plenty of other places to buy.
Yes, even a basic board will have an ethernet port.
Don't be worried about bootable usb...my board loaded win 10 from usb no problem. haven't really seen any threads relating to a problem with it and plenty of builds going on

Back
Top Bottom