• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Buzzing noise coming from GPU area/High FPS but choppy gameplay

Associate
Hi Guys,

So I've recently built a brand new PC but i've been having issues with it for months and I'm really losing my patience with it.

The first issue I have is there seems to be a high pitch buzzing coming from the upper area of the PC, I'm pretty sure it is the GPU. This buzz only happens when the GPU is under load.

The second, and the biggest issue, is that in every game that I play I get high fps but the game just feels choppy. The best way I can describe it is when moving the character forward in a straight line as the camera follows the character forward it's all really choppy. I've tried turning of V-sync, swapping out GPU and testing for SSD failure. This is driving me mad.

Rig:

GTX 1080 founders
i7-6700k
16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4
Samsung 850 evo SSD
MSI Z170A M3
ASUS VG248QE monitor
Corsair AX760 760w PSU

Soldato
Tried a different PSU ?

Coil whine is usually a high pitched sound but buzzing sound, I think I would be looking at electrical/connections/PSU

Soldato
Could be a PSU issue as stated, or could be the gpu itself. Quite well known with reference cards in general. Both my cards are like this (could be my PSU). But my case is insulated enough to not give me any problems sound wise in games.

Nothing much you can do if it is the gpu. But it will be worth it to try another PSU if it's bothering you that much.

Other than this, does your monitor have G-sync? Is it set to 144hz in the nvidia 3D panel?

Without G-sync you will need to achieve 144hz all the time or below this your monitor will skip frames and give you tearing.

G-sync really is worth the extra cost.

The only way to stop this is set your monitor to a more stable hz. Say 100/120hz or reduce your game settings to suit.

Soldato
Aren't the founders 1080 prone to coil whine?

Try a different PSU or if you have a spare PC / friends etc stick your 1080 in and see if you get the same choppy issues.

Soldato
Aren't the founders 1080 prone to coil whine?

I have it on mine too, that's in insurgency and day of infamy. Both of which are source based so same as CS:GO.

Though to be fair all brands/vendors suffer from it. Been lucky mostly. Biggest culprit for showing coil whine regardless of GPU is the Heaven/Valley benchmark credits.

Associate
OP
Hi guys,

Sorry for taking a while to reply, I've been out of the country. So i've tried out a new PSU and the noise is still there.

Here is a youtube video which demonstrates the sound.
What do you guys think that noise is?

In terms of the choppiness issue, I'm still having the issue but I didn't know I needed G-sync. I will change my refresh rate tomorrow and see if there is any change on that front.

Soldato
Just whine from the gpu/psu.

My 290 & Hx750i combo made the same buzzing sound. Changed out the psu for a Seasonic X-750 and it stopped. Harmless, but annoying.

Associate
OP
Just whine from the gpu/psu.

My 290 & Hx750i combo made the same buzzing sound. Changed out the psu for a Seasonic X-750 and it stopped. Harmless, but annoying.
That's really odd, I also changed my PSU today and it's still there. I wish swapping out my PSU had worked.

I have it on mine too, that's in insurgency and day of infamy. Both of which are source based so same as CS:GO.

Though to be fair all brands/vendors suffer from it. Been lucky mostly. Biggest culprit for showing coil whine regardless of GPU is the Heaven/Valley benchmark credits.

The Heaven/Valley benchmark is actually where I first noticed the issue. I've even had the GPU replaced under warranty and I'm still having the same issue

Last edited:
Associate
Get a hose and put it to your ear put the other end around inside the case to narrow it down check the fans as well.

Associate
Hi Guys,

So I've recently built a brand new PC but i've been having issues with it for months and I'm really losing my patience with it.

The first issue I have is there seems to be a high pitch buzzing coming from the upper area of the PC, I'm pretty sure it is the GPU. This buzz only happens when the GPU is under load.

The second, and the biggest issue, is that in every game that I play I get high fps but the game just feels choppy. The best way I can describe it is when moving the character forward in a straight line as the camera follows the character forward it's all really choppy. I've tried turning of V-sync, swapping out GPU and testing for SSD failure. This is driving me mad.

Try turning V-SYNC on.
There's not much point having higher FPS than your monitor can display. Could also be causing your GPU to whine if it's working overtime for no reason.
Check in ur nvidia control panel under resolution settings that the monitor is actually set to 144Hz, as you definitely should not be getting any choppiness when running at 144Hz / 144 FPS. If you are running at 60Hz on a 144Hz screen it will be choppy as hell.

Check temps + usage of GPU + CPU when you experience the issue and see if anything looks dodgy etc.

GPU might not be the culprit of the coil whine. Could also be PSU or motherboard or a combination of all 3.

Is the choppiness in all games or just 1 game and if so which game?

Associate
Sure that noise isnt coming from yer corsair pump? I had a h60 and the pump was the noisiest part of the pc by a mile.

If its a pwm one that would explain it getting worse when gaming as it will run harder as temp goes up.

Associate
OP
Try turning V-SYNC on.
There's not much point having higher FPS than your monitor can display. Could also be causing your GPU to whine if it's working overtime for no reason.
Check in ur nvidia control panel under resolution settings that the monitor is actually set to 144Hz, as you definitely should not be getting any choppiness when running at 144Hz / 144 FPS. If you are running at 60Hz on a 144Hz screen it will be choppy as hell.

Check temps + usage of GPU + CPU when you experience the issue and see if anything looks dodgy etc.

GPU might not be the culprit of the coil whine. Could also be PSU or motherboard or a combination of all 3.

Is the choppiness in all games or just 1 game and if so which game?
I'm really starting to suspect it's my motherboard which is a real pain. I'll look into all this when I get home, thanks for the advice.

Sure that noise isnt coming from yer corsair pump? I had a h60 and the pump was the noisiest part of the pc by a mile.

If its a pwm one that would explain it getting worse when gaming as it will run harder as temp goes up.
there is also a slight buzzing coming from the pump, it's always been there so I never really worried about it, does this mean it needs replacing or is the noise harmless?

Back
Top Bottom