Buzzing sound from GPU

Soldato
same for me if i go above my moniters refresh rate of 144hz i get horrid coil whine from my 2080ti, so i stick at 120-144hz and no issues at all.

if you have a nvidia gpu go into the nvidia control pannel in windows and find Change Resolution, here you can find a option for refresh rate, change it until the buzzing sound stops from your card.
Be a similar option if you have a amd card go into the settings and find refresh rate (not familiar with amd catalyst control center or Adrenalin 2020), as before and set a option that stops the buzzing sound.

hope this helps :)

Associate
OP
same for me if i go above my moniters refresh rate of 144hz i get horrid coil whine from my 2080ti, so i stick at 120-144hz and no issues at all.

if you have a nvidia gpu go into the nvidia control pannel in windows and find Change Resolution, here you can find a option for refresh rate, change it until the buzzing sound stops from your card.
Be a similar option if you have a amd card go into the settings and find refresh rate (not familiar with amd catalyst control center or Adrenalin 2020), as before and set a option that stops the buzzing sound.

hope this helps :)

Does the buzzing cause serious damage and affect longevity?

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Ouch. I've only had audible whine on a PSU in a build years ago and only when running Furmark.

I've accepted that's how things are now, and to be honest when they whine I've either got my headphones on or fans are making enough noise for it not be noticeable.

Associate
The last 4 GPUs I've owned (1070, 2060, 5700XT, 2070 SUper) all have.

What PSU do you have? When I went from an R9 270 to an R9 390X I had terrible coil whine coming from the card. PSU was a reasonable Antec model (80+ silver I think? long time ago), with enough power to support the card and rest of the system with enough to spare. Changing to a Corsair HXi got rid of the coil whine entirely.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
What PSU do you have? When I went from an R9 270 to an R9 390X I had terrible coil whine coming from the card. PSU was a reasonable Antec model (80+ silver I think? long time ago), with enough power to support the card and rest of the system with enough to spare. Changing to a Corsair HXi got rid of the coil whine entirely.

Corsair SF750, so a Platinum rated 750w PSU.

Soldato
My PSU Is less than a week old. Is a 550W PSU enough for RTX 2070 Super and i7 9700K?

According to nvidia.com "Minimum 650 W or greater system power supply with one 6-pin and one 8-pin ... The GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER graphics card is a PCI Express 3.0 ×16"

and the i7 9700k isnt the most efficent chip,

your 500w is borderline - most likely resulting in the whine - i suggest a replacement Superflower or Seasonic

Soldato
My PSU Is less than a week old. Is a 550W PSU enough for RTX 2070 Super and i7 9700K?

It's fine. 400W max worst case scenario even with a big OC on the 9700K. Like running Prime and Unigine Heaven at the same time, which is silly.

According to nvidia.com "Minimum 650 W or greater system power supply with one 6-pin and one 8-pin ... The GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER graphics card is a PCI Express 3.0 ×16"

GPU manufacturer PSU requirements are very misleading. They try to account for cheapo PSUs that don't provide as much on the +12v rail/s, or they also try to account for CPUs that pull more power. Yet they cannot account for CPUs that pull even more power yet so in such scenarios 650W wouldn't do. And where there's a CPU that pulls less, you don't need 650W. Look up the actual power draw of your CPU and GPU and you see what you need (then add a little extra, 50W or so, for the RAM and other components).

your 500w is borderline - most likely resulting in the whine - i suggest a replacement Superflower or Seasonic

No it's not. And you can get whine with any PSU, no matter it's wattage or quality.

Back
Top Bottom