1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

By popular demand... Acme's new daily beater/track day toy (?) thread...

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Acme, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Armageus

Don

nah Leather wipes clean

2. Bouton Aide

Caporegime

Not Acmes stains they permanent lol

3. sigma

Suspended

Perhaps they’ve been replaced with a cargo net (swing)?

4. sigma

Suspended

Sounds like the voice of experience:o

5. Acme

Caporegime

Leather wipes clean, but cloth VW Polo seats do not. Lets just leave it at that and move on. :p

6. Bouton Aide

Caporegime

No let’s not lol

7. Acme

Caporegime

The stories have been told on here in years past. Theres no need to re-boot them! :p

8. Diddums

Capodecina

Smoked / tinted lights should be illegal. Far too many idiots thinking it's cool so just DIYing it and taking the "stealth" to stupid levels.

9. Acme

Caporegime

Aside for the semi slicks and Tein springs (mine has Sport Contacts and H&R springs) this is pretty much the same spec as mine will be in a few days hopefully. The #fullsend at 2 minutes brought a tear to my eye haha.

I think it is illegal if you go too far with it. Just whether or not there are enough Police around (doubtful), and whether or not they can be bothered to measure the light output from your various lights.

A slight tint works on 20% of cars 1% of the time and for everything else there's Mastercard for everything else it just looks council.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  10. Dis86

Capodecina

Stealth? It's a 20 year old family car, not a top secret fighter aircraft.

11. Acme

Caporegime

Its a SWAT FIGHER JET.

On an unrelated note, I noticed it has a brake fluid cooler, an oil cooler, and the gearbox casing has cooling fins and an air duct pointing at it. Amazing.

12. The Running Man

Caporegime

If only he had a neo vvl...

13. Acme

Caporegime

If only I had neo vvl! :p

Anyway, sprayed the exhaust manifold head shield bolts with penetrant this morning, undid them just now, snapped off two out of five. No big deal.

Partially removed it, and doused all of the manifold studs and nuts in penetrant... Hopefully that means it will play ball tomorrow when I try and remove it.

Any tips? Should I run the engine first to get them hot? I'd rather not because of risk to my extremeties when undoing the nuts, but if needs must...

14. sigma

Suspended

You could tightening them a smidge first then undo.

Do you have a gas torch?

Doubt an impact wrench will squeeze in.

15. adam cool dude

Sgarrista

Manifold studs shouldn't be a problem. At least they were not for me. I had to chop the studs where the manifold meets the center pipe though.

Also keep an eye out for clear rear tail lights. Look far better than the tango corners. Although i guess now they are harder to get hold of.

[​IMG]

16. Acme

Caporegime

Cheers.

I know of some for sale but I quite like tango lights. May grab them.

17. Stu999

Hitman

Keep the Knight Rider lights please.

18. The Running Man

Caporegime

I got a garage to do mine but make sure its got a decent gasket with it! I'm not that handy.

Best tip I can give:

Be prepared mentally for for the sound of bees, wasps and hornets and general awesomeness.

Edit bear in mind I did mine wayyyy back it was only my second car i had ever owned. Mine was a v reg and it must have been between 2005 and 2007 when I had mine...so probably less siezed bolts.

19. adam cool dude

Sgarrista

One thing if forgot about the gasket is I bought proper copper ones. As the ones with the manifold tend to blow after a while.

20. Acme

Caporegime

Removed the AC system, minus the radiator thing behind the dash. Can't be bothered to remove that unless someone can advise how easy it is to do, without preventing the normal HVAC system from functioning? It was actually fairly painless to remove, and I've kept it all apart from the shagged condenser, so I could put it back in in an hour or two in future if I feel the need.

About 15KG in total. Maybe I should have gone on a diet instead, I hoped it would be 20+!

Looks like someone put dye in the system to find out why it wasn't working.

[​IMG]

Snapped the tensioner bolt.

[​IMG]

Made a new one out of some threaded bar.

[​IMG]

Made a friend on the way to ECP to pick up an 830MM belt (slightly too short but got it to work just about, and 850MM is too long, so I'd say 840MM is roughly what you want!)

[​IMG]

Amazingly all the manifold nuts came loose without snapping anything (have been soaking them in penetrant for a day or two) - Well, the studs are loose, the nuts are rust-welded onto them, but I guess they can be bolts if thats what they want to be, it is 2020 afterall damnit! /sc

Any idea what this irregular ticking noise is? Sounds like an anciliary bearing perhaps? Water pump? Certainly sounds like its coming from outside the engine, not a terminal sort of noise. :p

It was present before I cracked the manifold nuts loose before anyone says its that! :)