C2 HDI's

Associate
Joined
17 Aug 2004
Posts
160
Howdy

Just wondering, Trying to research into the C2 HDI Furio's, Does anyone have any knowledge of the common faults etc I know to stay well away from the senso drive models as these has tenancies to break allot. That will force us (this is for the Miss's and she ONLY likes C2 Furios) to get a 05 plate onwards as this is when the Manuals were released in the Furio HDI range.

Tried to tell her to get something other than C2 but that’s like talking to a wall :rolleyes: She has a T reg Clio 1.2 and does a 90mile round trip for work so she needs a diesel.

Any input is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks :D
 
Man of Honour
Joined
17 Oct 2002
Posts
159,858
Apparently in a recent magazine fuel economy test they found the petrol C2 was just as economical as the diesel one, so do you really need the diesel one?

Friend has a C2 1.4 Furio - it's not THAT bad but I'd not want to do much more than a 10 mile round trip in it let alone a 90 mile trip, thats insane - it's strictly a citycar not a mileage muncher.
 
Associate
OP
Joined
17 Aug 2004
Posts
160
TW

Thanks for the Info, any idea of what magazine had this info????

As i said, its for the Miss's, she does not like anything other than c2's and especailly not big cars !!!

You dont need a Huge car to do motorway miles, I have a clio diesel myself and do around 25k - 30k miles a year and it performs great on motorways etc !
 
Caporegime
Joined
26 Aug 2003
Posts
37,508
Location
Leafy Cheshire
Extra77 said:
I have a clio diesel myself and do around 25k - 30k miles a year and it performs great on motorways etc !
Define "great", because i'm pretty sure that by most people's definitions, a diesel clio is not a "great" motorway cruiser.

If she is doing 90 miles commute per day then I'd want to be in a little more comfort than a C2 (up until last week I did an 80 mile commute in a saxo), sure it "did" the miles, but it wasn't in comfort compared to something larger and better specified.
 
Man of Honour
Joined
17 Oct 2002
Posts
159,858
Extra77 said:
TW

Thanks for the Info, any idea of what magazine had this info????

It may have been The Sunday Times? They took both versions, petrol and diesel, on the same trip around the circuit of the M25 and measured the economy.

You dont need a Huge car to do motorway miles, I have a clio diesel myself and do around 25k - 30k miles a year and it performs great on motorways etc !

You don't NEED a huge car in the same way you don't NEED to drive if you can use a bus, but it's so much better, it really is.

Honestly, borrow a proper car for a day, do your motorway trip and notice how completely different it feels and how much more relaxing and enjoyable it is.

I've done my fairly regular 170 mile trip to Portsmouth in cars ranging from a Skoda Felicia to a BMW 530d and I cannot tell you how much better it was in the proper cars - even though I made it there in every car I've taken, the quality of the journey is noticeably better.
 
Associate
OP
Joined
17 Aug 2004
Posts
160
paradigm said:
Define "great", because i'm pretty sure that by most people's definitions, a diesel clio is not a "great" motorway cruiser.

If she is doing 90 miles commute per day then I'd want to be in a little more comfort than a C2 (up until last week I did an 80 mile commute in a saxo), sure it "did" the miles, but it wasn't in comfort compared to something larger and better specified.

Great as in, economical, small and nippy (same torque as the 2.0 182) extremly good for my job as i do allot of motorway and town work.

Anyways, to the point I only asked a question about if there are any known issues with the C2 HDI's, I didnt ask for a slagging off, Of my car.


Oh and Once again. She only likes small cars, When a woman has made her mind up, there isnt any going back !!! :o

TW, Ive done my daily routes in a fair few cars, Rover coupe, Honda Civic, Focus and a Mondeo, But bigger cars Just dont *Do* it enough for me to warrent buying another car. Im happy with what I have, It suites my purposes really well. :p

So, Is there any known issues with the engines or are we just going to **** off small cars all day lol :rolleyes:
 
Associate
Joined
1 Jul 2005
Posts
1,360
Location
London
I'm more than happy to **** off small cars :D

Big cars for the win!

Seriously though, the HDI engines are pretty sound, we've got a 1.6 110 and a 2.0 90 in the family and both have performed admirably with no problems whatsoever.

The C2 is odd, they only put the 70bhp version of the 1.4 HDI. The C3 has both the 92bhp version and the 70bhp, both get similar MPG, but the lower powered C2 one looks a tad slow.
 
Associate
OP
Joined
17 Aug 2004
Posts
160
richolmes72 said:
I'm more than happy to **** off small cars :D

Big cars for the win!

Seriously though, the HDI engines are pretty sound, we've got a 1.6 110 and a 2.0 90 in the family and both have performed admirably with no problems whatsoever.

The C2 is odd, they only put the 70bhp version of the 1.4 HDI. The C3 has both the 92bhp version and the 70bhp, both get similar MPG, but the lower powered C2 one looks a tad slow.


Cheers for the info, what sort of MPG do they appear to do, I know about the low bhp but her comments were, "Im only sitting on a motorway at 70mph for 90% of my driving so why do i need loads of power" which is quite understandable !
 
Man of Honour
Joined
17 Oct 2002
Posts
159,858
Extra77 said:
Cheers for the info, what sort of MPG do they appear to do, I know about the low bhp but her comments were, "Im only sitting on a motorway at 70mph for 90% of my driving so why do i need loads of power" which is quite understandable !

Becuase when everyone slows down and then speeds up again, something which happens all the time on the Motorway, you don't really want to be stuck hanging around as your car takes years to get back to cruising speed.
 
Caporegime
Joined
26 Aug 2003
Posts
37,508
Location
Leafy Cheshire
[TW]Fox said:
Becuase when everyone slows down and then speeds up again, something which happens all the time on the Motorway, you don't really want to be stuck hanging around as your car takes years to get back to cruising speed.

This is 100% true. I really wouldnt have liked to be in anything less powerful than my saxo VTR for motorway driving, not only do you get those situations where you need to get back up to 70+ from coming to an almost halt, but you also need power to get off slip roads onto the carriageway, especially short ones!

Slow cars are dangerous on the motorway IMO.
 
Soldato
Joined
13 Mar 2004
Posts
16,649
speaking of motorways and clios, i used to have an 02 1.2 16v clio.

as expected there was a complete lack of grunt and its 'happy speed' was about 75mph, which is dreadfully slow, but when travelling on our usual congested motorway, the average speeds are not usually much above that anyway.

to the point. it rocked for motorway use. one of the most confortable seats evar. i did 400+ miles a day in that car a few times and you never got out feeling tired. therefore its not impossible for a small french car to be dire on the motorway, but its by no means a cruiser like the audis and merc have been.

PS... i love the complete irrationality that women can have towards cars :D
 
Soldato
Joined
18 Oct 2002
Posts
10,632
Location
Notts
Matt82 said:
to the point. it rocked for motorway use. one of the most confortable seats evar. i did 400+ miles a day in that car a few times and you never got out feeling tired.

You must have a square backside :|
 
Soldato
Joined
13 Mar 2004
Posts
16,649
im certain they were good seats, it was a dynamique model, they had slightly diferent seats to the other models

what version did you have?
 
Associate
OP
Joined
17 Aug 2004
Posts
160
[TW]Fox said:
Becuase when everyone slows down and then speeds up again, something which happens all the time on the Motorway, you don't really want to be stuck hanging around as your car takes years to get back to cruising speed.

She drives at like 3am in the morning (air hostess), I cant really see any stopping / slowing down. can you ;)

This forum is great, ask a question and no one thinks to answer it, well except richolmes72 who was more to the point !!

Nevermind, Ill go to a more helpful forum. Mods, Delete the thread if you like. :o
 
Caporegime
Joined
26 Aug 2003
Posts
37,508
Location
Leafy Cheshire
You mean you didn't get the response you were looking for, and no-one has tried to blindly convince you that spending an extortionate amount of money on a badly built french hatchback is a good idea? There is a reason.

As said, the petrol is a better buy, as the diseasle isn't any more economical. Sounds to me like your just trying desparately to find an excuse to not convice your girlfriend that she really needs to stop being so stubborn.

But "cést la vie" if waste your money is what you want to do, by all means go and do it. If you are that desparte to own a C2, try and get a decent engined one like the GT (don't go for the VTR as it has the dire semi-auto box) especially seeing as she wants to take it on the motorway.
 
Associate
OP
Joined
17 Aug 2004
Posts
160
paradigm said:
You mean you didn't get the response you were looking for, and no-one has tried to blindly convince you that spending an extortionate amount of money on a badly built french hatchback is a good idea? There is a reason.

As said, the petrol is a better buy, as the diseasle isn't any more economical. Sounds to me like your just trying desparately to find an excuse to not convice your girlfriend that she really needs to stop being so stubborn.

But "cést la vie" if waste your money is what you want to do, by all means go and do it. If you are that desparte to own a C2, try and get a decent engined one like the GT (don't go for the VTR as it has the dire semi-auto box) especially seeing as she wants to take it on the motorway.

Actually no, you cheeky get. Because if you looked at the question I asked anyways """Does anyone have any knowledge of the common faults etc I know to stay well away from the senso drive models as these has tenancies to break allot """

I didn’t ask for any opinions on the car, I asked for any known / common faults that are not for the senso drive range!! AND because no one really was answering my question and was just slagging off small cars. Just because some people prefer bigger cars, that does not mean to say it has to be someone else's opinion.

So, Ill go elsewhere and get some helpful information on the question I ORIGONALY asked.

As the thread is obviously making No prgress I said it may aswell be deleted.
 
Man of Honour
Joined
17 Oct 2002
Posts
159,858
Extra77 said:
I didn’t ask for any opinions on the car, I asked for any known / common faults that are not for the senso drive range!!

But why would you care about that given they are all still under warranty so even if you buy one with every fault going it can be fixed free?
 
Soldato
Joined
21 Oct 2002
Posts
21,453
[TW]Fox said:
But why would you care about that given they are all still under warranty so even if you buy one with every fault going it can be fixed free?

He just wants to know if there is anything to be aware of.

If is misses is a hair hostess, she is likely to be hot, he's said she travels at night, Last thing he wants is his hot air hostess girlfriend left stranded on the side of the road at 3am because the C2 he has bought here has broken down because the elastic band has snapped in the diesel version, when he should have bought her the petrol one because it is fitted with a stronger elastic band.
 
Associate
Joined
1 Jul 2005
Posts
1,360
Location
London
atpbx said:
If is misses is a hair hostess, she is likely to be hot, he's said she travels at night, Last thing he wants is his hot air hostess girlfriend left stranded on the side of the road at 3am because the C2 he has bought here has broken down because the elastic band has snapped in the diesel version, when he should have bought her the petrol one because it is fitted with a stronger elastic band.

Lol, the hot air hostess stranded by the elastic band.

At the end of the day, if the lady likes the C2, then thats what the lady will get. Living with a car that you don't actually like, but is better on paper than the one you actually like, is not the way.

I know that a 2.0 mondeo Ghia X will be almost as quick, better equipped, newer and use a lot less fuel than my jag. But i know which one i want to be driving. Car preferences are often irrational, its a love thing! :D
 
Back
Top Bottom