Cabin In The Woods

Associate
LOLLing hard here....wait seriously did you go up to each and every other person in the cinema and asked them what they thought of the movie??. If you didnt then why chat so much utter rubbish.

For the record i thought it was a bloody good movie compared to some of the utter tripe ive watched in the past few weeks ie Hunger games for instance.

My GF went to the loo at the end, so yea, everyone walked past and you could get a good feel for their mood. Most looked disappointed and pretty much every comment was what a load of rubbish. I do not remember one person coming out saying what a good film it was.

Granted it was a Showcase Insider special so there wasn't too many people in there, probably 50 tops, but still the film really didn't go down well.

Associate
Bit like a Showcase version of Orange Wednesday, you get early screenings and can go to Showcase any Tuesday and watch any film, aslong as it's not fully booked, for £4.50.

Soldato
Some of the characters were shallower than a puddle on a hot day in the Sahara, although it was amusing reading some reviews afterwards where the reviewers complained they were too stereotypical. :)

Amusing presumably because this is explained as part of the plot? :D

This film is genius, even down to the title being so typical of your standard, cliched, typical horror film. It's about time someone punctured through it! Zombieland was good but this is possibly the pinnacle.

Last edited:
Me and the missus watched this last night and it was fantastic, the wife is a massive Whedon fan anyway but we both felt it's a well placed kick in the balls to the typical 'teen slasher' rubbish that masquerades as horror.

Caporegime
Saw this on Saturday and thought it was just brilliant from start to finish, I'm a huge Whedon fan as well so it was nice seeing Amy Acker and Tom Lenk, didn't realise they were going to be in it :D Fran Kranz was very good as well.

Associate
Saw it late last night and thought it was fantastic, an instant buy when it shows up on dvd.

I actually couldn't stop laughing at the appearance of the merman, also seeing a boomer from left 4 dead was quite nice :D

Soldato
Amusing presumably because this is explained as part of the plot? :D
Yes, exactly. Quite how they missed it I don't know

Robosapien said:
This film is genius, even down to the title being so typical of your standard, cliched, typical horror film. It's about time someone punctured through it! Zombieland was good but this is possibly the pinnacle.
I wouldn't say genius, it's amusing and entertaining but I think in trying to be too meta it actually fails at being a horror film. Zombieland was genius though.

Associate
Saw this last night. Absolutely loved it :)

I'm not a huge fan of horror movies so wouldn't have gone to see this normally. It was only because it was Joss Whedon that I did.

The whole premise was really well done because even though certain things are made apparent from the start it still keeps you guessing.

It is a marmite movie though. It seems that the people who hate it are generally big horror film fans and don't like the way it makes fun of the genre. Depends how seriously you take it I guess.

I know the cinema I was in everyone was laughing and seemed to have really enjoyed at the end.

I loved the fact that a lot of famous horror movie monsters were represented there.

It was also really clever the way that the "jock" guy was introduced as quite clever at the start and then they made him into his steretype using the chemical pheromones. In fact they did that with all of them.

I really want to see this again to identify more of the monsters.

Caporegime
My GF went to the loo at the end, so yea, everyone walked past and you could get a good feel for their mood. Most looked disappointed and pretty much every comment was what a load of rubbish. I do not remember one person coming out saying what a good film it was.

Granted it was a Showcase Insider special so there wasn't too many people in there, probably 50 tops, but still the film really didn't go down well.

Oh well i guess you, your gf and the 50 others are definitely in the minority...when i went to see it the other week with the missus, pretty much everyone walked out saying what a fantastic movie.

Cant wait for this to come out on blu ray, definitely will buy it and watch it again.

Soldato
OP
It is a marmite movie though. It seems that the people who hate it are generally big horror film fans and don't like the way it makes fun of the genre. Depends how seriously you take it I guess.

One of the biggest horror movie fans here you're ever likely to meet and as you can guess from my OP, I loved it.

I've noticed that anyone who saw a lot of trailers or read any reviews generally slates it. All the people I know who've seen it blind like I did, loved it.

Associate
I'd give it an 8/10
An entertaining slasher-horror movie that includes the frights and gore, but is mostly funny and weird. Not as quirky or original as I'd hoped, but it displays it's homages well and works throughout.

Soldato
I enjoyed this a lot. I liked the way it managed to use three different types of horror film to compound the terror of the film. Traditional slasher flick, oppressive corporate horror film where the people who exist in it seem to be involved in some kind of Kafkaesque system and finally the idea of ancient horror.

All of it topped off with just about every nightmareish creature you can think of it. Truly smart writing.

Soldato
I saw it last night. Thought it had the potential to be great but the "side story" element felt too shoe horned into the plot. Joss has always done twists a lot better than this before in his tv shows. Like the earlier poster said though it was great seeing some Buffy and Angel characters get their time to shine. Also the dude with the bauld head witnessing events for the first time was Tavon from The Shield. The idea of a twist of this nature on a traditional horror film is indeed a good one but IMO executed fairly poorly. 5/10.

Drag Me To Hell had similar aspirations but was a more enjoyable film I thought so check that out of you like this one.

Last edited:
Associate
One of the biggest horror movie fans here you're ever likely to meet and as you can guess from my OP, I loved it.

I've noticed that anyone who saw a lot of trailers or read any reviews generally slates it. All the people I know who've seen it blind like I did, loved it.

Yeah but you're probably a person who just enjoys films instead of spending the whole movie trying to find a flaw to moan about! :p

Soldato
Watched & loved it. Well written, well acted, different to the usual Slasher flick and almost logical (as far as such a film can be, obviously) in terms of plot. 9/10.

Soldato
An absolute 10/10 movie for me. I've watched many more horror movies than your average filmgoer and this film had me stumped 90% of the time. Really wasn't ever sure what was coming next.

Realise I'm massively late to the party, but watched this last night.

I enjoyed it, my girlfriend thought it was stupid.

I'm amazed that you say it had you stumped and you didn't know what was coming next. I somehow managed to not hear anything at all about it before watching, but thought the plot was unveiled pretty early.

Man of Honour
Me and my house mate watched it the other night, neither of us knew anything about it before we watched and we both agreed it was a bit crap.

Back
Top Bottom