Calibration Mics for AV Receivers

Soldato
I currently have a Sony STR DN1050 and am in the process of replacing it with a Denon 2300 for HDCP2.2 capabilities. The Denon doesn't have the calibration mic, would the Sony one be good enough to use to do the initial setup with do you think?

Soldato
I can state from my experience that the Sony and Yamaha ones are not, the Sony amps were reporting, no sound or sound level to low to calibrate and the Yamaha's were creating all sorts of nonsensical results with heavily skewed front to back results.

Soldato
you can set them up your self with a db meter (not a phone app, an actual real db meter) and just adjust the volume of each channel until you get same reading, no mic needed. Unless you are doing room freq analysuis which afaik the amp you mentioned doesn't do. It's purely to calcuate 'distance' and 'level' which IME these amps aren't all that good at anyway. So long story short get a db meter and do it your self, guaranteed, accurate results every time.

Soldato
OP
Yeah I bought it second hand off the mm. listed as with all equipment, only realised after collecting and getting it home and the seller doesn’t seem to have the mic. I have the am and fm antennas and the “rocket” for the mic but no mic.

Unfortunately I was in a rush to collect as had to travel for it and then have been away on a little holiday since so not had much chance to follow up.

Soldato
I can send you mine to borrow if you wish if no luck sourcing one, I have no clue if you can by them separate tbh

The person you got it off my stumble on it if he/she has a hunt for you.

Back
Top Bottom