Called the police earlier regarding dangerous motorbike usage in my area.

Soldato
OP
I see these type of idiots frequently not too far from OCUK HQ. Not long back two young teenage lads on one, no helmets and straight across a busy crossroads.

Just seems indicative of this rising attitude of “I’ll do what I like so you can **** off”.

Yet if I went out and sorted it personally, I'd be the bad bugger with jail time to face.

Soldato
Join, or form a neighbourhood watch group in your area.

I'm afraid the police are too overwhelmed these days, unless all the evidence work is handed to them.

Soldato
Police are too busy catching people doing 5mph too much to worry about crimes that involve some legwork.
So many times ive phoned and reported a crime in progress for them to turn up 6 hours later or even say no one available.

Soldato
OP
Police are too busy catching people doing 5mph too much to worry about crimes that involve some legwork.
So many times ive phoned and reported a crime in progress for them to turn up 6 hours later or even say no one available.

This is part of my issue, although not entirely related in the same respect.

I KNOW people who have had the police at their door because they stated something on social media that's pretty mild. There's a few examples of people who stated "biological males aren't really women" and presented data to the fact, that have dealt with either visits to the door or phone calls. Happens all the damn time, police resources are being used over hurt feelings rather than literal threats to physical well being. I've no horse in the gender race, I admit I'm pro free-speech but I think anyone with sense would rather police resources were directed toward people acting in a physical manner over words on the net.

Yet clear danger is ignored or tossed aside.

Soldato
It's not really police policy that's the issue. The issue is that police have zero legal exemptions when it comes to dangerous driving.

Using your vehicle to ram another deliberately is dangerous driving. There's no legal exemptions for driver training /being a police officer.

Police are therefore always vulnerable to prosecution when they use 'tactical contact' to stop other vehicles.

Ramming a motorbike is also far more dangerous then ramming a car. The public need to be prepared for more fatalities if police are to routinely stop non compliant bike riders by ramming them.

Caporegime
It's not really police policy that's the issue. The issue is that police have zero legal exemptions when it comes to dangerous driving.

Using your vehicle to ram another deliberately is dangerous driving. There's no legal exemptions for driver training /being a police officer.

Police are therefore always vulnerable to prosecution when they use 'tactical contact' to stop other vehicles.

Ramming a motorbike is also far more dangerous then ramming a car. The public need to be prepared for more fatalities if police are to routinely stop non compliant bike riders by ramming them.

The general public would support it. It's only the usual vocal whining lefties who object. The rights of the criminals have, for too long, been put above the rights of everyone else to exist in a crime free society.

Man of Honour
What do you expect them to do considering it’s well known they don’t chase the bikes as a policy and also there are no registration plates to identify the owner? I can’t see what more the police can do other than sealing the park off.

OP probably did the right thing by calling the police, but unfortunately, and it’s a sad lesson to learn, he’ll now find out that those who could, and should, do something about it, couldn’t give a rat’s posterior about any anti-social behaviour in his area, and will give it the same myopic treatment that Police Authorities do everywhere, when travellers turn up and start their playful fun.

Caporegime
What do you expect them to do considering it’s well known they don’t chase the bikes as a policy and also there are no registration plates to identify the owner? I can’t see what more the police can do other than sealing the park off.

Well first they could attend which in itself could cause the bikes to clear off.

Secondly it’s clearly a **** policy that has lead thieves/muggers to use bikes/scooters in the hope they won’t be chased.

Some trained police drivers do chase bikes AFAIK.

Soldato
Once enough innocent walkers/Park users have been hurt the police will take some action.

Or maybe 1 high profile case such as a young child being horribly injured or something, that'll be enough to force the police to act.

Soldato
There is a local farmer here who tied some rope between trees in a woodland after they kept using it to ride around in. ****** one of them up pretty badly I hear. Got away with it too, because you are allowed to fence off areas with rope on your own land :p

That's quality that! :D

Associate
More effective option could be to speak to your local councillor/mp about getting a fence around the park with gates to stop bikes getting in? Would probably take a few of you submitting complaints to even get them to discuss it with the council.

Soldato
OP probably did the right thing by calling the police, but unfortunately, and it’s a sad lesson to learn, he’ll now find out that those who could, and should, do something about it, couldn’t give a rat’s posterior about any anti-social behaviour in his area, and will give it the same myopic treatment that Police Authorities do everywhere, when travellers turn up and start their playful fun.

Stating the Police don't care is absolutely nonsense.

The sad reality is the Police Service is severely under funded and under staffed. Its stretched to its limit.

They haven't told the OP they don't care. But OP and everyone else needs their expectations managed - there are far more priority demands which means genuine, but less important, issues fall by the way.

There are PLENTY of ways the OPs issue could be handled but there is no funding, officers, time, technology or other resources available to actually do it.

Man of Honour
Stating the Police don't care is absolutely nonsense.

The sad reality is the Police Service is severely under funded and under staffed. Its stretched to its limit.

They haven't told the OP they don't care. But OP and everyone else needs their expectations managed - there are far more priority demands which means genuine, but less important, issues fall by the way.

There are PLENTY of ways the OPs issue could be handled but there is no funding, officers, time, technology or other resources available to actually do it.

I didn’t say the police don’t care, not the ones at the sharp end anyway, but fair enough, I did mention Police Authorities, and you could be forgiven for thinking that they hardly care.
We are drowning in sound bites about underfunding and police cuts, and I don’t think those sound bites are made up by malcontents, but on the radio this week, LBC reported that the Notting Hill Carnival this weekend, will be policed by 12,400 officers.
So, if you get mugged, or burgled in Knightsbridge, Chelsea, or Kensington this weekend, don’t worry, there’ll be 12,000 coppers just on the North side of Hyde Park.

Soldato
They always seem to find the numbers when they need to. The local faire going on this weekend has at least 2 police cars in it and it only fills one field.

Soldato
Get a lot of this around our way in Liverpool, kids riding without helmets wrong way in traffic, across busy roads and in parks. The police do try and tackle it but it seems for every bike removed 2 more get added. Not a lot they can do either as the kids on bikes can get away across grass and through bollards that the police cars can't. And then if one of them got hit or died then the family and local community would come together and put out shrines and mourn the loss of their loved one as if they hadn't ever done anything wrong or dangerous.

I ride a motorbike but I do it safely (in so far as possible) and with full protective gear etc.

Soldato
Why don't they chase them,? Seems a ludicrous policy.
The police are (I would have thought) the avenue for average public to go to to stop this sort of thing. It is no wonder people take law into their own hands when they get no joy from official channels.
I saw the pricks who vandalised my car, they were setting fires to public bins., One left a textbook thumbprint on the spoiler he snapped off, so much so even I could have got a sample
The police was sympathetic. They even admitted they knew exactly who they were and they were a menace but as they were only 17 they could not do anything.
They gave me a crime number so I could claim on insurance but didn't even send someone out.
The logic is all wrong. I would say nip it in the bud now and maybe stop escalation into a bigger crime later.
A £1000 fine or 20 hrs community service as well as having to pay for damages.caused.my make them think twice. Same with OPs bikers. A fine to replace the grass they ruined as well as confiscating the bikes till they did some community service ...
I know community service costs us money but a £1 spent now may save a lot more later

Last edited:
Soldato
Why don't they chase them,? Seems a ludicrous policy.
The police are (I would have thought) the avenue for average public to go to to stop this sort of thing. It is no wonder people take law into their own hands when they get no joy from official channels.
I saw the pricks who vandalised my car, they were setting fires to public bins., One left a textbook thumbprint on the spoiler he snapped off, so much so even I could have got a sample
The police was sympathetic. They even admitted they knew exactly who they were and they were a menace but as they were only 17 they could not do anything.
They gave me a crime number so I could claim on insurance but didn't even send someone out.
The logic is all wrong. I would say nip it in the bud now and maybe stop escalation into a bigger crime later.
A £1000 fine or 20 hrs community service as well as having to pay for damages.caused.my make them think twice. Same with OPs bikers. A fine to replace the grass they ruined as well as confiscating the bikes till they did some community service ...
I know community service costs us money but a £1 spent now may save a lot more later

Danger to the riders when chasing, high chance they'll die, which I am sure most of us feel isn't that big of an issue. You run from the police and die in the process, darwin award right there.

I had someone kick the side of my car at traffic lights, long story short he was angry and having a fight with his missus and took me checking for traffic as my staring at him. Within 5 minutes of me slamming the brakes on and reversing back, he had given me his details and apologised to myself and the other 3 adults in the car.

Reported it to the police when we got home, 2 hours giving witness statements per person and 3 months later the missus (her car) gets a call saying he's admitted kicking the car but not to causing any damage and as such, they wouldn't prosecute. I was lived and annoyed I'd lost his details. Nothing to do with the police, he even said it was stupid as we had photos of his shoe mark on the dent he caused. The police are between a rock and a hard place, they deal first hand with the public but ultimately it comes down to CPS and politics. They are massively underfunded, a recent tv show announced that down in the south-west it's 1 offer per 13,000 of the population.

As for the OP, any chance you can get photos of the individuals using the bikes? The average age on my road is about 70 and we had some idiot on a mini moto tearing up and down randomly over several weeks. Heard it coming one day, jumped to the window with the SLR and got some clear photos of them on the bike, riding on the pavement with no helmet on.

Emailed the local police station and had an email back within an hour stating they knew who it was and they would be dealing with it. A week later a follow-up email thanking me for the photos and they had confiscated the bike.

Back
Top Bottom