Cambridge Analytica

Caporegime
Facebook is still an awesome service and frankly I don't care about the adverts. If someone wants to better target some ads at me then whatever... If a company involved in that has broken some data laws then they should obviously be punished but this sort of targeting of ads (in a general sense) is still going to carry on via legal means. Facebook itself is very good at doing so and they have all the data, part of why they're annoyed, aside from the breech and bad PR, is that other than what they allow third parties to have they want to have a monopoly on some of this data.

Soldato
so facebook made some announcements

Conduct an in-depth review of our platform: We will investigate all apps that had access to large amounts of information before we changed our platform in 2014 to reduce data access, and we are conducting a full audit of any app with suspicious activity.
Reward people who find vulnerabilities: Facebook’s bug bounty program will expand so that people can also report to us if they find misuses of data by app developers. We are beginning work on this and will have more details as we finalize the program updates in the coming weeks.

so, post 2014, when people had to sign up more explicitly for their data to be used , facebook are not responsible - is that it ?

Also

Fact Check: Your Call and SMS History

The social network acknowledged on Sunday that it began uploading call and text logs from phones running Google's Android system in 2015 — first via its Messenger app and later through an option in Facebook Lite, a stripped-down version of its main app. Facebook added that only users who gave appropriate permission were affected, that it didn't collect the contents of messages or calls, and that users can opt out of the data collection and have the stored logs deleted by changing their app settings.

the latter is old news - but they could make it clearer how they will be using the data, even if it is not for 3rd parties. - just the euphemism "a better experience"

41077327311_1b39511d77_o_d.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
appropriated by other apps is documented.
which you give them permission to do.

If you link apps etc and not use security setting etc, what do you expect?

Since Android 6 you can ignore what the app requests and turn off whatever you want, it hurts some functionality but you don't have to let facebook look at texts, contacts etc.

download my data, all very boring and nothing in there I wasn't expecting, in fact, I'm surprised how little they have.

i very much doubt this will kill facebook, I don't know anyone in real life that's have deleted fb because of it.

Soldato
Interesting the blog the BBC reference is so insincere and lacking any kind of regret/responsibility (The USA use of language is different but even so) .... a big fine should do it

Two weeks ago we promised to take a hard look at the information apps can use when you connect them to Facebook as well as other data practices
.... they imply they have taken that hard look really ? resolving all the issues - lol

Events API: Until today, people could grant an app permission to get information about events they host or attend, including private events. This made it easy to add Facebook Events to calendar, ticketing or other apps. But Facebook Events have information about other people’s attendance as well as posts on the event wall, so it’s important that we ensure apps use their access appropriately. Starting today, apps using the API will no longer be able to access the guest list or posts on the event wall.
so are you going to expose these apps ?

Groups API: Currently apps need the permission of a group admin or member to access group content for closed groups, and the permission of an admin for secret groups. These apps help admins do things like easily post and respond to content in their groups. However, there is information about people and conversations in groups that we want to make sure is better protected. Going forward, all third-party apps using the Groups API will need approval from Facebook
again what are these apps ?

Associate
Facebook wont see much of a loss in customers, 95% of folk dont give a monkeys about security and have zero idea about privacy in apps.
Nowt will happen, its FB equivalent of catching a cold thats all.

Soldato
yes ok - the USA get's what they deserve (he who must not be mentioned T***p) without recognising that the carrier for this virus was Facebook,
let's also expel/sanction some Russians, but don't touch the Prodigal son facebook,
do you think the CIA could have subverted Facebook use to interfere with the Russian elections in retaliation, or, maybe Mr Putin is a client for CA ?

Man of Honour
so it's still mostly stuff you could easily have avoided then, this isn't like you've been hacked, you have accepted this. it is so easy to stop apps requesting your sms, contacts etc and so easy not to use Facebook apps that request access to everything, when all it is, is a questionnaire to give you a character from a tv show/film and all the other useless apps out there.

Soldato
57million (or so) people+their friends were taken in though, and they have the right to vote, so we need to protect themourselves
it would be interesting to know the demographic of the people who did the quiz.

Caporegime
well more like 300k or so people answered the surveys and then the publicly available 'like' data of their friends was harvested, amount to circa 80 million profiles worth of 'likes'

Man of Honour
57million (or so) people+their friends were taken in though, and they have the right to vote, so we need to protect themourselves
it would be interesting to know the demographic of the people who did the quiz.
Although I do agree there should be stronger laws, I can't see laws ever catching up and overtaking data gathering. People need to have a bit of self responsibility and there should be some training/adverts or something.

Facebook shouldn't have my phone number but I bet they do as friends will have used app and let them have access to anything. It would then be a trivial to match my name in their contact list with name on list of friends on Facebook.

Soldato
not sure why the media are still giving screen space to Christoper Wylie, he not exactly a partisan actor and clearly trying to distance himself as much as possible, but was nonetheless complicit though for, what, a year ?
... as you probably saw he is now deriding the brexit results

Back
Top Bottom