Cambridge SoundWorks MegaWorks THX 2.1 250D upgrade advice!

Soldato
Hello,

I am after some much needed advice as I am a bit of a newb when it comes to sound. I've been using my Cambridge soundworks 250D's for about 15 years which my friend recommended and I've been impressed with them since. However, they are starting to fail, I think a dry solder joint. I will open them up once I've got something new and use them on another PC.

Anyway, I want a new setup (2.1 unless convinced otherwise). I mainly use my PC to listen to music, play games, and watch movies so a bit of everything really. I've been reading on here this morning and the EDIFIER S350DB so far look good to me but are they better than what I have? my aging system looks more powerful (300w) but I don't know how that compares.

I don't really have a budget as I wont be buying new speakers again for hopefully another 15 years. I would like to spend around £250 but happy to go up to £500 for something decent.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
fobose

Soldato
Hard to say how the Edifier S350DB would compare to the Cambridge Soundworks 250D's. The Edifier's have larger satellite speakers, so should provide more midrange sound compared to the rather small satellites of the Cambridge speakers.

The specs of 300W is rather meaningless. Power does not equal quality. The problem with such specs given by manufacturers when it comes to speaker system output power, is they do not tell you how that was achieved. It's pretty meaningless really. It looks good and attracts buyers if the power output looks like it is high.

For sitting at a desk and listening to speakers, you'd be surprised how little power you actually need for pretty loud volume. I've got a small Topping amp connected to a pair of stereo speakers. The little amp only puts out about, maybe 11W into each speaker. That looks pitiful compared to 300W, but it's louder than you'd imagine.

If you've a decent amount of desk space, which sounds like you will have once you get your new desk, then I'd certainly look to get stereo speakers; preferably passive speakers and a small amp.

Q Acoustics make very good speakers. There are quite a lot of good brands to consider along with Q Acoustics; Wharfedale, Misson, Tannoy, Monitor Audio, to name but a few.

A SMSL AD18 would be a good choice of amp. £110, so leaves £140 for speakers if you are looking to keep to around £250. I've got a SMSL Q5 Pro downstairs connected to some floor standing speakers and it does a great job. The AD18 has a few more features than the Q5 Pro, such as a headphone output and Bluetooth connection.

Richer Sounds have a store in Cambridge. It would be worth popping in and asking to have a demo of some speakers in your price range. Compare those around £100-£150 to some a bit higher price, so you can get an idea of whether paying the extra will be worth it for you, or whether you'll be happy spending around £100-£150 on speakers.

Soldato
OP
I appreciate the long reply! I quite like the look of that SMSL AD18, especially as it is quite small it would like quite good on any desk. I am not sure if I should go for something like that though or a full size amp, like a Onkyo A-9010. I think you are right and it would be worth popping in to richer sounds to have a demo of some setups.

Soldato
OP
I ended up trying out the Onkyo A-9010B in richer sounds with Q acoustic 3020i's and Dali spektor 2's. I decided on the spektor 2's as I preferred the sound. I had originally planned to try and hopefully buy the Q Acoustic 3010 as it was a lot cheaper but they didn't have any in stock. I am really happy with my purchase so far though. Thanks for all your input all :)

Soldato
I ended up trying out the Onkyo A-9010B in richer sounds with Q acoustic 3020i's and Dali spektor 2's. I decided on the spektor 2's as I preferred the sound. I had originally planned to try and hopefully buy the Q Acoustic 3010 as it was a lot cheaper but they didn't have any in stock. I am really happy with my purchase so far though. Thanks for all your input all :)
How are you finding the setup with no sub?

Soldato
OP
At the moment, I am not missing it at all! I have been blown away by how good these speakers sound. Massive upgrade compared to my 15 year old setup.

The speakers and amp do take up a lot more room on my desk though. However, it hasn't been a problem for me as I upgraded my desk a few days before I got the new speakers (1200x600 -> 1800x800).

Before:
kkEPBnV.jpg

After:
4t51SOC.jpg

*edit* realized the images were a bit big so put spoilers up :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom