Camera Tossing

Soldato
:D

I'm sure a few may have got the same email from Photojojo on this. Sounds quite interesting but i think the only way i'm going to try it is standing on my ebd or something!

Photojojo said:
Reckless, stupid, downright insane. Camera tossers have been called worse.

Camera tossing is, well, just what it sounds like. Set your camera on long exposure or self-timer mode, press the shutter, and toss it into the air just before it goes off. Catch the thing (or have it land on a soft surface), and ogle the results.

Why would you do this? Quite simply, it’s the photographs: beautiful, abstract images you can’t get any other way. Many photographers also find the technique liberating, as it forces them to exert less control over the final image.

Flickr group

I 'might' go and attempt this!

Throw a mechanical camera and mechancial lens into the air during its open/close proceedure and then attempt to catch it (prob a rough impact)

No thanks. Reduced shutter/mirror life -5k

I got angry enough when my camera died on me during the summer.. (both years!!) I don't think I will give it any incentive to make it a hatrick.

Soldato
OP
robertgilbert86 said:
Interesting.....
Just keep hold of the neck strap to prevent damage, as it comes back down slowly take the weight of it, to avoid damaging jerks.

Good thinking!

Soldato
Set the flash to 2nd curtain and capture the look on your own face as a 1Ds with a 24-70L F2.8 comes hurtling back towards you :p

robertgilbert86 said:
Interesting.....
Just keep hold of the neck strap to prevent damage, as it comes back down slowly take the weight of it, to avoid damaging jerks.
That will stop it hiting the floor or something stopping it dead. Micro mechianics are prone to movement and impact. You can get just as good effects by hand holding the camera and giving it several twists and turns or by painting light yourself.

Associate
Fstop11 said:
That will stop it hiting the floor or something stopping it dead. Micro mechianics are prone to movement and impact. You can get just as good effects by hand holding the camera and giving it several twists and turns or by painting light yourself.

I've done that by accident when carrying my tripod and pressing the remote release by accident

Soldato
OP
alexisonfire said:
God i hate crap like this.

Why? Bring out the inner arteeest in yourself! :) There's plenty of rubbish on at public exhibitions that's far worse than stuff like this. Plus, it's only a bit of fun! (Although it seems no one is going to dare!).

Soldato
Scam said:
Why? Bring out the inner arteeest in yourself! :) There's plenty of rubbish on at public exhibitions that's far worse than stuff like this. Plus, it's only a bit of fun! (Although it seems no one is going to dare!).

lol thats exactly my point, people can throw a camera in the air, make a mess, and then call it art, its pathetic. Treated as fun, i don't see a problem, but people make thousands out of similar rubbish. You won't catch me throwing my camera up in the air, and mines cheap!

Soldato
Scam said:

I'd hardly call throwing a camera in the air "art". It reminds me of the tate modern. What a joke.

Also, that site shows that most photos are just people shaking the camera around, rather than throwing them in the air. Personally I think you'd have to be brain damaged to want to throw a 30D, or indeed any other camera in the air.

Soldato
OP
ElDude said:
I'd hardly call throwing a camera in the air "art". It reminds me of the tate modern. What a joke.

Did my spelling of 'arteest' not make it plainly clear of my opinion of 'art'? Like most things at Photojojo (from what i can tell from my first few newsletters anyway) it's all to be taken with a pinch of salt and simply encourages experimentation and a DIY-ethos. Heaven forbid someone posts something other than motorsport or HDR landscapes here!! :confused:

Come on people, i'm not implying you should be doing this then attempting to sell them for £50 a pop (although i'm sure you could with some decent self-advertising) -- it's a bit of fun! :)

Soldato
Might give it a go with my old a75, but in reality I can't see it being very liberating. Generally I'm stupid enough to throw most things in the air, a dslr being no exception (but cmon, i want a decent reason! :p).

Associate
I like the sound of this idea , think I'll try it . But not with my camera . I'm off to Dixon's or maybe Jessops . Can I try a camera Sir ? Oop's ....it seem's to have hit the ceiling !

Soldato
OP
rickyt said:
I like the sound of this idea , think I'll try it . But not with my camera . I'm off to Dixon's or maybe Jessops . Can I try a camera Sir ? Oop's ....it seem's to have hit the ceiling !

Haha! See if you can capture a swirly version of their face in shock-horror as you chuck it :D

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

There's no need to throw it, just swing it around by the neck strap :o

Back
Top Bottom