1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Campaign to end the 'stigma' of obesity

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Uther, Oct 11, 2018.

1. BowdonUK

Wise Guy

I think once you get in to cooking manually then its easy when you know the basics.

Doesn't anyone remember the cooking class at school? Me neither, at least not in my life time and look whats happened. I bet the percentage of people who can cook now compared to 50 years ago as dropped considerably.

There as been a social breakdown when it comes to passing on skillsets. The mothers these days have never been taught to cook either at school or by their parents.

I think instead of bashing people who at this moment don't eat healthy its better to be encouraging them. Imho its not just the skills, its a mindset.

2. Dis86

Capodecina

I was taught cooking at school. So was my sister and she left 8 years ago. I don't know if it was taught more recently than that however.
    Honestly though I don't think I use the skills I learned there as it was mostly baking rather than proper cooking.
    Despite this I somehow manage to you know...cook. it was amazing. I picked up ingredients. Combined them. Wham. I didn't need a degree to do it either!

3. Nasher

Capodecina

Took me less than 6 months to learn to cook after moving out and living on my own.

4. Avenged7Fold

Capodecina

Cooking is not a skill set that needs to be passed on. All it takes to learn is to just do it and the great thing about that is you could practice as regularly as you eat!

If you were so inept and had so little confidence that you could not improvise anything, 20 minute meal recipes is just a google away.

Encouraging people to eat health does not work if all they are prepared to eat are ready meals. I think a healthy dose of embarrassment/bashing is what people need to push them into learning or doing something outside their comfort zone, be this basic IT skills, DIY, exercise or cooking.

Can't cook an incredibly basic pasta and pasta sauce dish?
    That is due to a lack of trying, not a lack of skills.

A healthy lifestyle does not necessarily involve people running marathons or pushing weights daily. For most people it just takes a half decent diet and to regularly do menial tasks like washing the car, doing the housework, walking to the shops, walking the dog.

5. krooton

Capodecina

I would argue that more people likely cook now than in the past, where pretty much only women cooked (apart from male chefs).

With so many recipes websites, celebrity chefs on tv, cooking books for days, people must be cooking more than ever, even with all the ready meals that are available (and ready meals have existed for many decades any way).

6. Screeeech

Mobster

I regularly cook, I play videos of people like Marcus wareing and Gordon Ramsay on my iPad next to the hob, if you put the effort in to learn you can knock up seriously tasty food that blows away any ready meal or fast food, often for only a few quid.

However, I think we’ve created this environment where there’s an easy trouble free, effort free solution, to almost every problem, where historically there might not have been.

Ultimately, on a average most people will take an easy solution when presented with one, whether it’s food, transportation, finance, anything - even if they have to pay some money for it, on average - people gravitate towards the easiest option that requires the least effort.

So whilst I disagree with the idea that people don’t have enough time to do things properly, for me it’s more a case that they’re living in an environment packed full of shortcuts, especially dietary shortcuts. In the end that all adds up to what probably is quite a large factor.

This is why I have a problem with blaming individuals, because when you look at it from a high level - for the most part, people are simply living within the realms of an environment that’s become too easy, too effortless and perhaps very dangerous for our health.

7. Avenged7Fold

Capodecina

I get what you are saying but then there are two options to solve the issue, remove the ability to choose the easy options or pressure/educate/encourage people to make that choice.

I am all for industry restrictions but ultimately people need to make the attitude change themselves as there will always be an unhealthy easy option available.

8. Hedge

Capodecina

I'm not gonna get preachy because I don't think its as black and white as some people make out.

I'm blessed with some kinda good genetics where I don't put weight on like most people. I'm naturally skinny. My nephew however is about twice the size as me and his diet isn't so massively dissimilar to mine.

I always said it was as simple as more food than energy burned but as I've gotten older and compared my diet with that of my larger friends I realised that there is definately some truth to the genetic aspect.

9. Screeeech

Mobster

I think trying to change people's attitudes in this situation could essentially be a lost cause, they've tried many times to change people's attitudes - programs such as "eat less move more" in the US failed to have any impact at all.

Does it not perhaps make you a little uncomfortable, to propose making attempts to change people's attitudes, whilst scientific programs backed by $Billions are undertaken by companies such as Kraft, Nestle or Unilever. These programs are used to engineer foods on purpose to hit the maximum levels of pleasure or "bliss point" in children, essentially trying to condition them into believing - this is what food tastes like.

The amount of scientific process, testing, design that goes into a product like Pringles, is utterly mind blowing. Everything from the packaging, to how it smells in the tin, to how crunchy it is - leading into how it breaks down inside your mouth "mouth-feel" the consistency of the "blob" how it reacts with saliva and how easily it slides down your throat, have been designed and tested thousands of times at every stage - in order for the whole thing to be as hyper-palatable and as pleasurable as possible.

It almost feels ridiculous, to have a situation like this - then expect any other outcome other than high levels of obesity, metabolic disease, depletion of health service money and ultimately a lowering of life expectancy (as is happening in the US) it seems - crazy to think anything other than the above things would happen.

Whilst I agree - people can change their attitudes, and there are a minority of people out there who can resist the temptation, overall I'm not convinced that willpower, attitudes, leaflets, education, classes even exercise and activity - can win against this mountainous tsunami of terrible, borderline-toxic food, for large populations or groups of people.

10. krooton

Capodecina

I always assumed it was genetic for me, but I think there are less obvious lifestyle aspects that we can miss.

Yes, I can polish off a 12-pack multipack of crisps without even blinking, but I don't drink any sugary drinks (90% of time water, 10% tea/coffee), I hardly ever drink beer, I walk up and down all tube escalators (8 every work day), I walk downstairs to go to the loo at work (as the men on my floor leave this toilet in a bloody state), and I fidgit massively (finger tapping to music, foot tapping under the desk constantly).

All these little things I do and don't do all add up, even if not a large-scale gesture like going to the gym.

11. Avenged7Fold

Capodecina

When it comes down to these discussions, someone usually tells people that they simply can't lose weight no matter how little they eat, claiming they went on weeks/months consuming bellow what is needed to keep what is essentially a comatose person at the same weight. People cheat themselves by not counting some things or miss counting others.

With some alcoholic beverages at 200Kcal each, it isn't surprising that your evening after work beer or the Friday night couple adds up quickly. Some people enjoy their fizzy drinks too much, some crisps, some drink a lot of tea with each cup containing two sugars. If you are really militant about counting, you soon get put off by the idea of drinking 800 Kcal worth of beer or coke as a regular treat.

Losing weight takes a bit of time but with a lifestyle change it will happen and it doesn't need to be an impossible task. The great thing is that you gain wait at a similar pace, so unless you really went off the rails regularly, it isn't like you put it all on quickly either. Most people who gain their weight back after dieting do so because their diet was a dramatic temporary change that never had any hope in lasting.

12. Nasher

Capodecina

You can lose weight extremely quickly by just not eating for about 2 weeks. Only take vitamins\supplements and drink water :p

Humans can go a month or more without food, especially massive ones. So you probably won't die.

13. Somnambulist

Sgarrista

Longer...

14. Freakbro

Capodecina

Doesn't sound the best slogan to sell it to the populous..

"Try this amazing diet, you probably won't die!"

:p

15. Screeeech

Mobster

Professor Laura Schmidt from UCSF gives an interesting talk on junk food, the environment and personal responsibility.

I like her point near the end, about how we shouldn't have to live in an environment that's rigged to make us fat, which then blames us for the consequences and the medical bills.

16. nkata

Soldato

Possibly if I was a younger single male now, I would not have learned to cook so well for myself. All the supermarkets have shelves of ready meals whereas we had boil in the bag Vesta curry and chow mein or similar. Every town centre has eateries on each corner it seems. Your takeaway is but a phone call away now where then we had to weigh up going out for it against a 20 minute 'spag bol' or a 10 minute 'special fried rice' prepared at home.

However luckily I am also predisposed to be thin, 10st and 5' 10".

17. Freakbro

Capodecina

It's not just single males, at the checkout yesterday I saw a single females shopping (ready meals for one in the trolley) and there was pre-made mash potato ffs! Who the hell needs to buy pre-made mash potato :rolleyes:

18. nkata

Soldato

For mash get Smash :D, yes I see your point.

19. Avenged7Fold

Capodecina

The cultural attitude is to blame too as mentioned earlier in the thread (i think?)

Fast pace, work all day lifestyle seems to sometimes justify bad fast food for some. A lack of appreciation for a properly cooked meal, with convenience being valued above all else.

Look at Italy for example, among lowest obesity in Europe. Fast food and ready meals are unfashionable and properly cooked lunch and dinner seems to be the norm - even if you work. This is slowly changing with the younger generation though.

20. 413x

Capodecina

Totally cultural.
    It is easier to get ready meals.

I hate cooking, it always takes so long. So always end up having cooked but pre made food.
    By that I mean pasta/rice plus something like a quorn chicken pieces.plus some veg.

Almost everything starts frozen. Almost never fresh as it just doesn't last.

The time/effort to make real meals just doesn't appeal enough for me or my gf to Do It
    Thats my reason. Id rather spend time doing other things.
    Plus you get all the cleaning up