Campaigners call for artificial grass tax

Soldato
That's a big part of the issue. People want a living room outside with everything neat and tidy and preened to perfection.... It's a garden, let it be a garden. If you don't want that, go buy a flat.

What a moronic comparison. So because people want some outside space they should have grass or else live in a flat?

Might as well not bother tarmaccing roads and just have mud roads everywhere so it's not nice and neat to drive on!

Soldato
What a moronic comparison. So because people want some outside space they should have grass or else live in a flat?

Might as well not bother tarmaccing roads and just have mud roads everywhere so it's not nice and neat to drive on!

Good comparison there... Well thought out... Quite moronic actually :cry:.

Edit: let me expand a little which may help.

At no point did I say it has to be grass or nothing. The "gardens" I refer to are the ones pretty much devoid of any life. It's slabs/tiles next to decking and artificial plants placed around the place - how mental is that? You have removed all you need to grow living plants and they have been replaced with artificial versions.

Some slabs and some decking - no issue with that. I think a garden is for enjoying nature. That's my opinion - sorry it triggered you :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
Good comparison there... Well thought out... Quite moronic actually :cry:.

Some slabs and some decking - no issue with that. I think a garden is for enjoying nature. That's my opinion - sorry it triggered you :cry:

Not triggered, just the belief that anything outdoor space wise that didn't fit into what you like meant people should get a flat seemed really stupid.

At least you elaborated a little in your response to actually make a valid point.

Soldato
He clearly isn't qualified to make that decision though, so I don't buy the "its my garden I do what I want". We live in a eco-system of eco-systems. He shouldn't have the right to unilaterally, without clear business need ('it looks better!1') destroy natural habitat.

Bit of a curtain twitcher eh. If by natural habitat you mean the slabs thet were down before then I don't know what to say... :cry: :cry:
I spent years mowing other peoples grass for money, and I'm not doing my own for nothing now I'm retired. Have you got a pic of your garden paradise in London?

Soldato
Bit of a curtain twitcher eh. If by natural habitat you mean the slabs thet were down before then I don't know what to say... :cry: :cry:
I spent years mowing other peoples grass for money, and I'm not doing my own for nothing now I'm retired. Have you got a pic of your garden paradise in London?
I get that because you are retired you are at peak entitlement/NIMBY but it wasn't a personal attack on you. It was a general comment that these things need regulating because they are heading in the wrong direction. Just like you wouldn't build a house with a single skin brick wall or single glazing - it can be done, it is "your right", but it is a massive issue for the collective good.

Soldato
Surely the NIMBY bit is you caring what other people are doing...
Do you have a garden in your London paradise?
NIMBY is you only caring about your view point and what it does for you. I am usually on the side of "anti-NIMBY" as I have to work twice as your generation did to afford half the house whilst putting up with folk saying "IT'LL RUIN MY VISTA!!!11" or "IT'LL CAUSE MORE TRAFFIC!!11".

You probably won't see real food poverty, but I may - and my daughter certainly will. The world is an ecological disaster at the moment and any small step I can take - I do.

Soldato
OK people own up, whose garden is this?

Looks ideal to be fair. I imagine it was just paving slabs before and so the effort to install adequate drainage would be a real hassle. That's just given it a better feel that staring at concrete in every direction. It's not like there's ever going to be much wildlife in a terraced environment anyway, no matter what you try and do.

Soldato
NIMBY is you only caring about your view point and what it does for you. I am usually on the side of "anti-NIMBY" as I have to work twice as your generation did to afford half the house whilst putting up with folk saying "IT'LL RUIN MY VISTA!!!11" or "IT'LL CAUSE MORE TRAFFIC!!11".

You probably won't see real food poverty, but I may - and my daughter certainly will. The world is an ecological disaster at the moment and any small step I can take - I do.
Excellent, whan are you moving out of that concrete **** hole and buying a smallholding?
As for my generation, I've just turned 57, and just got back from the garden centre with some plants. I assume you're sat in your inner London office with a chai latte and the air con on, busy telling people who've lived in the countryside their whole lives and actually done gardening what they should be doing to save the planet. :cry:

Soldato
Excellent, whan are you moving out of that concrete **** hole and buying a smallholding?
As for my generation, I've just turned 57, and just got back from the garden centre with some plants. I assume you're sat in your inner London office with a chai latte and the air con on, busy telling people who've lived in the countryside their whole lives and actually done gardening what they should be doing to save the planet. :cry:
Enjoy your retirement. Most of the folks posting on this forum won't be fortunate enough to retire anywhere close to 57; myself included.

FYI - this is my 3.2m wide garden in my terraced **** hole --- you see, my daughter will grow up with dirt, bugs and wildlife:

Back
Top Bottom