can a TRUE take a delta fan?

Associate
need a new cooler for my Q6600 (want to overclock) and have a delta fan from when i oc'd my old 3800X2. i havent had a thermalright since the xp-120 so don't know if the clips or whatever will handle the size and weight of a delta.

i have other fans if needed but would like to try the delta :)

Associate
OP
it is, was worried since the old 120 had the delta lie on top of it, this would be on the side i assume. hope my armour case can muffle it quite well :o

2nd Q, any fan controllers that can handle deltas? or would the mobo be able to speed up/slow down the fan as needed? i have an adapter cable of sorts since i dont want to connect the 3 pin cable direct to the mobo, i have one that takes power from a molex and it's own 3 pin cable for the mobos fan connector.

Soldato
Don't connect it directly the motherboard, it'll fry it. That cable you have should be fine if it just has a yellow (rpm) cable going to the motherboard. Most variable fan controllers just can't cope with the high current draw of the deltas. Their is a fan controller that can cope but i can't remember what it's called, somebody else might come along and clear this up. Think it is made in america and his limited availability in the uk.

Thermalright's clips don't look very strong but once they are attached you can usually lift the heatsink and motherboard by just holding the fan.

Soldato
If your using the wire fan clips you can attach 25mm/38mm fans no problem as the clips engage the lowest fan holes (i.e nearest to the heatsink), if there was a 120mmx76mm fan that would work also heh! :p

The newer TRUE's come with that polycarbonate fan holder and I'm not sure if that can hold anything other than a 120mmx25mm fan :confused:

Associate
OP
Don't connect it directly the motherboard, it'll fry it. That cable you have should be fine if it just has a yellow (rpm) cable going to the motherboard. Most variable fan controllers just can't cope with the high current draw of the deltas. Their is a fan controller that can cope but i can't remember what it's called, somebody else might come along and clear this up. Think it is made in america and his limited availability in the uk.

Thermalright's clips don't look very strong but once they are attached you can usually lift the heatsink and motherboard by just holding the fan.

yeah, i know not to connect it direct :)
i was hoping one of OCUKs wouil do, ah well. the cable i have is basically a 3 pin input and an output and a molex connector so shoul dbe fine

If your using the wire fan clips you can attach 25mm/38mm fans no problem as the clips engage the lowest fan holes (i.e nearest to the heatsink), if there was a 120mmx76mm fan that would work also heh! :p

The newer TRUE's come with that polycarbonate fan holder and I'm not sure if that can hold anything other than a 120mmx25mm fan :confused:

well, i guess i'll find out soon enough :)

Soldato
The original TRUE came with fan clips while the newer one comes with the fan holder. If it comes with a fan I reckon that wil be the polycarbonate fan holder type but if it comes heatsink only I think that would have the fanclips included.

If in doubt check with the supplier before you buy! :)

Soldato
Just to let you know my experience with this.

I used 2*Panaflo fans (38mm thick) on my TRUE Black and they were secured just fine with the clips. The only issue was that the fan was a bit too thick where the clips need to hold on to. ie. The part of the fan with the screw hole was a bit too thick. I had to file them down a bit, using a standard 25mm fan to compare the thickness, and it worked like a charm. I don't know if this will be the same for the Delta though.

With regards to fan controllers, i had similar issues with you due to the high current draw of these fans. The only controllers i know of which are good for high power fans are the Sunbeam Rheobus. The original has 4 channels and can handle 20w per channel. The newer version i think has 6 channels with 30w per channel. I have the original version as i was able to mod it into a blank drive bay cover so that it fitted in perfectly with my case. It also works great with my Panaflo's and i had no trouble powering 2 of them from a single channel. You should be able to get them in the UK although it's been a while since i got mine.

Hope that helps!

Soldato
Elastic bands fail when hot. Cable ties would be a better choice.

I remain reasonably sure that fans + shrouds will work better than just fans, I might check this next time my computer is down but haven't got around to it yet

Associate
OP
i have loads of twistix so they'll do the trick i think if i need em.

the xp-120 and a delta fan kept my old x2 between 27C and 32C under full load with 1.65v running through it. was noisy as a hoover mind. i guess i'm going to find out how quiet the armor case is soon enough i think :D

Soldato
you wont be able to kill that noise..... no way......... you could mount a Delta inside a square tube with Acoustic proofing, but the noise will still exit from the front and back

Associate
OP
to double check, are these the right cables? (almost 100% sure they are but want to double check), also - the last pic has a zalman fan controller. wonder if it would work for this.

1st, the fan :)

2nd, the splitter. this should let me get power from a molex and still connect it to the mobo

3rd, the zalman fan controller. no idea where it came from, but if the delta is getting power from the molex, then couldn't it do the trick?

Back
Top Bottom