Can a USB external SSD be used as a NAS

Associate
Hi all

I have an iMac and two Macbooks all connected to my wired home network. I use iphoto, icloud drive and also have files locally on each device.

I want storage I can leave plugged into my switch permanantly so all 3 devices can automatically and frequently back theyselves up using time machine. I also want to create an iphoto/icloud manual back up on to the same hard drive (in case the apple cloud ever looses my files/pictures).

I understand SSD's are faster, smaller and more reliable. Can I connect a USB external SSD to my switch and use it as a NAS to do the above. Like this one: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seag...ternal-solid-state-drive-black-hd-3ck-se.html

Or does it have to be a NAS enclosure with a network port with SSD drives? These seem to be way more expensive and bigger.

Man of Honour
It will depend on what functionality whatever you're plugging it in to has. You say switch, what device do you mean? I suspect it's a multi function device from your ISP that acts as router, WAP and switch, potentially modem too? These often have USB ports, and allow them to be shared over your network. The storage type on the other side of the USB in this scenario should be irrelevant.

Regardless, you'd be better off with spinning metal disk for this in my opinion, from a value for money standpoint at least. You won't really benefit from the extra speed of the ssd due to the fact that your network speed will likely be gigabit ethernet (128MB/s) at best.

Associate
OP
It will depend on what functionality whatever you're plugging it in to has. You say switch, what device do you mean? I suspect it's a multi function device from your ISP that acts as router, WAP and switch, potentially modem too? These often have USB ports, and allow them to be shared over your network. The storage type on the other side of the USB in this scenario should be irrelevant.

Ok, not sure I understood much of that lol. Please excuse my lack of knowlidge on this stuff... you may have to spoon feed me here.

I have a Virgin media router (cable not broadband). Thats plugged into a 16 port gigabit switch (tp link TL-SG116). Then I have network cables that run from the switch, through the walls, into each room of the house. So to connect to the network and internet each device plugs a network cable into the socket on the wall.

The switch has no USB port, hence the question. I assume a normal NAS comes with a network port on the back of it which you would use to connect to my switch via a cat 6 cable.

Just checked. My Virgin router does not have a USB port either!

Man of Honour
I asked about the word switch as normally switches are simple ethernet port affairs. You essentially need some sort of device on your network to act as a server, anything will do really but obviously the more feature rich and power efficient the better. Lots of ISP supplied/third party routers will do this now however I'm not sure if your specific one will. Have a Google about for your new exact router model and what it's capable of doing with regards to the USB storage and sharing.

Man of Honour
In that case you're going to need one of those more expensive network devices you've mentioned to do the job of offering the storage device up to the network in software as well as providing the physical USB - > ethernet "bridge". It can be done relatively inexpensively, but my head's not in the game as to what is good right now so I'll bow out of the advice here, hopefully someone else can suggest a suitable product. If you're feeling super fruity I'm sure it's something one could do with a £20 raspberry pi, probably better to walk before running though!

Associate
OP
Errr defo dont have the skills for a raspberry pi set up. Thanks for your advice Zefan.

I will wait till someone else comes along who can better advise me on the cheapest form of a SSD NAS.

Back
Top Bottom