Can anyone explain this? 5G signal in non 5G area

Soldato
Hi

So strangely. I have a Pixel 4a 5G. I live in a remote village with 600 people. Not expecting 5G anytime soon. However, I go outside and my phone is displaying 5G. Speedtest around 70MB (My landline is about 48MB).

I went to a town less than 10 minutes away recently. No 5G on any network available. Phone went to 5G. Speedtest 98MB (Twice as fast as home internet essentially).

Can anyone explain what is going on? Literally no network shows as providing 5G in my area. I am currently with EE.

FYI I live in the bottom of a 3 floor house, concrete and underfloor heating means not even a 3G signal in here. So I use EE Wifi calling and text.

Any explanation?

Edit: Should point out I have googled but just essentially get the reverse with the results 'I am supposed to have 5G but no getting a 5G signal'.

Man of Honour
Likely one mast locally has been activated. For an area to be declared 5G available, it has to cover a certain percentage of the population there.

Man of Honour
Signal propagation can be kind of weird - is there anywhere kind of nearby 5G enabled?

For instance I have a roughly 18inch by 18inch spot in my bedroom, where you wouldn't think signal was that good at all, where the SNR basically doubles and hence 4G speeds increase significantly compared to anywhere else around indoor or outdoor.

EDIT: I'd recheck the EE 5G coverage - ostensibly there was no plans to update to 5G within my area until like after 2026 or something on any network but checking the EE map today it now says weak outdoor coverage, no indoor on 5G and they've enabled a nearby small town despite it not being on the rollout plans any time soon. I literally checked like 3-4 days ago and there was nothing then and no indications of being any time soon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom