Can anyone reccomend a good protection, treatment paint for wood soffits and facias

Soldato
Hi all,

Can anyone reccomend a good paint (not too expensive) for wooden soffits and facias? looking at either a really dark brown or black. Needs to be easy to apply, good protection and finish and not overly expensive.

Thanks

Associate
Are these boards new or do they have a finish already? If so what kind of a condition is it in ?

I am not the OP and sorry to hijacked but I am looking to do the same thing to mine. Currently I believe the fascias are made of wood that was painted with some form of gloss paint at least 15 years ago, this is start to flake off in large patches. I believe the softits might be asbestos but if they are not they will be wood like the fascias. What should I do here? clean off the flaky paint sand back and check they are still in decent condition? and repaint?

Soldato
OP
Thanks all. I'll take a look, they are original soffit and facias from the 1996 build and it's wood and in good condition but need to be treated quick. So Im thinking light sand down clean up where possible and paint

I have no idea on the asbestos side of things @Slade2

Soldato
I am not the OP and sorry to hijacked but I am looking to do the same thing to mine. Currently I believe the fascias are made of wood that was painted with some form of gloss paint at least 15 years ago, this is start to flake off in large patches. I believe the softits might be asbestos but if they are not they will be wood like the fascias. What should I do here? clean off the flaky paint sand back and check they are still in decent condition? and repaint?
Multi tool with 60/80 grit just a quick blits. Then BEDEC MSP and job done.

Associate

If it's coming off in large flakes then there's generally a reason, such as water ingress, before you make any decision you should get up there and assess what is going on. If it is water ingress then you will have to dry it out before applying any kind of product.

Soldato
If it's coming off in large flakes then there's generally a reason, such as water ingress, before you make any decision you should get up there and assess what is going on. If it is water ingress then you will have to dry it out before applying any kind of product.
I'd trust this man given his username.

Associate

Its not coming off in chunks or anything. The roof does have loads of moss on it and that does cause issues with the gutters getting regularly blocked but I will give them a good clean out this spring when I get up the ladder. I think its just the fact that the roof is probably close to 70 years old and it going to require some maintenance, I need ideally to clean the moss off and get new facias, softfits and gutters but we are thinking of moving so its a cost I would ideally like to avoid. I just need to make it look a bit nicer than it does right now.

Associate
https://www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos/assets/docs/beware-asbestos-reference-cards.pdf

Shocking that Asbestos wasn't banned in the UK construction industry until 1999 !

It doesn't rot which is a great property and left alone it can be quite safe. Most council tips will take it for free providing it's double wrapped in something like Visqueen,, if you do need to remove it then make sure you wear a mask and a paper suit which can be disposed of afterwards. If you don't really need to remove it then leave it where it is, and it should continue to do what it was designed to do.

Back
Top Bottom