Can anyone recommend a cheap solution for testing Server DDR3 ram.

Associate
I am looking to test a load of DDR3 Sever ram , I know it will not work in a standard motherboard , but I need a motherboard and CPU to test the ram.

Can anyone recommend a cheap solution / recommend setup , dell etc that can be plugged into a monitor and can just run MEM test 86 for testing from perhaps dvd rom.

Any links to stuff on ebay would be great.

Thank you .

Soldato
look for Supermicro X8STi-F X58 LGA1366 , you will need to add a xeon x5550 cpu or i7 920 both can be had for £10-£20

i have the same board and xeon cpu in a standard atx case and psu, the CPU and motherboard power headers are not in the normal location, but the standoffs are. and the headers for power and reset are standard. the onboard GPU will probably work for memtest. but it wont run windows 10 etc.. It will take a standard PCIE card but you will need to snip off the retention clip

Don
Just as an alternative suggestion, but what about a used server - e.g. something like a HP DL380 G6 - can pick up a whole server for ~£110-£120. They take either ECC Registered or ECC Unbuffered (Seem to think they have a built in Memory tests in their onboard diagnostics as well)

Associate
OP
Just as an alternative suggestion, but what about a used server - e.g. something like a HP DL380 G6 - can pick up a whole server for ~£110-£120. They take either ECC Registered or ECC Unbuffered (Seem to think they have a built in Memory tests in their onboard diagnostics as well)

Hmm interesting...ONLY thing even though I've been into computers for the past 35 years , I have never ventured near a server , I am a total noob , will a used server just plug into a monitor , with a keyboard etc.

Don
Hmm interesting...ONLY thing even though I've been into computers for the past 35 years , I have never ventured near a server , I am a total noob , will a used server just plug into a monitor , with a keyboard etc.

Yep absolutely - has all the standard things you would expect - VGA Port, PS2 and USB Ports, Bios will let you boot from DVD or USB etc.

Only thing to bear in mind though is they do make a lot of noise :)

Associate
OP
Yep absolutely - has all the standard things you would expect - VGA Port, PS2 and USB Ports, Bios will let you boot from DVD or USB etc.

Only thing to bear in mind though is they do make a lot of noise :)

So just plug it in , no need for a server rack , are the PSU's built in ? what about dvd rom drive ? as I would like to boot using dvd rom for memtest 86

Don
So just plug it in , no need for a server rack , are the PSU's built in ? what about dvd rom drive ? as I would like to boot using dvd rom for memtest 86

Don't need a rack - will be fine sat on a desk. The DL380 G6 support 2 PSUs, and most normally come with both fitted, but you only need to plug 1 of them in anyway for what you are using it for. Almost all of them will come with a DVD-ROM drive fitted (only exception are the one's with 16x hard drive bays - but they are rare and more expensive). BIOS works the same as any other PC, just set the boot order to DVD and you are away.

Associate
OP
Don't need a rack - will be fine sat on a desk. The DL380 G6 support 2 PSUs, and most normally come with both fitted, but you only need to plug 1 of them in anyway for what you are using it for. Almost all of them will come with a DVD-ROM drive fitted (only exception are the one's with 16x hard drive bays - but they are rare and more expensive). BIOS works the same as any other PC, just set the boot order to DVD and you are away.

Would this be any good ? it does not mention dvd rom drive , but is one easy to fit , standard stuff ? ide or sata type etc ?

I just need it for testing server ddr3 server ram

*** link removed ***

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP
Shouldn't be an issue - servers have had USB boot for at least as long as desktops have (so 10+ years).

Just a heads up, but I have removed your link, as linking to ebay for computer parts is against the rules.

Ah cool , no worries , sorry about the post to ebay , I think I might manage to grab a cheap server rack , SO is most ddr3 server memory suitable for most ddr3 server motherboards ?

And can I run windows 10 on most servers instead of buying the server version of windows ?

I sound like such a newbie !!!

Associate
OP
Yes - The majority of "proper" servers will use ECC Registered DDR3. Only exceptions are things like the HP Microservers (and the equivalent Dell), which use ECC Unbuffered DDR3.

Brilliant , I feel a lot more informed ! I shall keep my eyes open for a cheap server rack :) DDR3 and bootable from DVD or USB is my main needs :) perfect :)

Back
Top Bottom