Can I buy an extension for an AC power brick?

Soldato
I bought a Lenovo Smart Clock and the power lead isn't long enough for where I want it to go and rather not use a bulky 3 pin plug extension.

I really dont know the first thing about power bricks, voltages, amps etc etc. so some advice would be most appreciated since I dont really want to blow up my device. I've included pictures of the Lenovo power brick so you know what i'm on about.

https://imgur.com/a/87679un

Thanks

Associate
You can buy extenders that will connect to the barrel connector in the bottom picture, You will need to measure the inside diameter and outside diameter of it and see if they are available in that size.
I searched "barrel connector extension" on the Bay and found a couple of u.k sellers.

Permabanned
Yes you can a simple extension for that cable on ebay. The problem is they make lots of those with a number of different diameters. You need to know the diameter of the outside and the diameter of the hole in it which is about the same as the diameter of the pin that fits in it, and they can be difficult to measure. It will probably be a 5mm plug with a 2.1 or 2.5mm pin. My guess - 2.1mm. Some sellers on ebay sell both sizes.

Associate
I bought a Lenovo Smart Clock and the power lead isn't long enough for where I want it to go and rather not use a bulky 3 pin plug extension.

I really dont know the first thing about power bricks, voltages, amps etc etc. so some advice would be most appreciated since I dont really want to blow up my device. I've included pictures of the Lenovo power brick so you know what i'm on about.

https://imgur.com/a/87679un

Thanks

It certainly will be possible as others have said, but you must know the internal and external dimensions of your pin. You can measure the outside quite easily if you have calipers but the inside is harder. Lenovo and other brands may only do their own so they in fact could be pretty hard to find. You also will likely find that if you go for a random brand connector, even if it is the right fit, it likely won't fit quite as snug as the original and could be too long / too short and work loose over time. The original will almost certainly be far better quality.

I would suggest extending a 13A cable but going the least bulky option and just going with a single socket extension. Just search something like 1 way 13A extension and chose the cable length you require.

Soldato
Btw there is nothing special about those plugs. They are very common. I am pretty sure if you go to the rainforest you will be able to find a 25w plug with long enough cable. 25w gives you 2A load, that Lenovo one is 18w. Just a bit of headroom in case the plug is cheap and burns out under load.

Associate
Btw there is nothing special about those plugs. They are very common. I am pretty sure if you go to the rainforest you will be able to find a 25w plug with long enough cable. 25w gives you 2A load, that Lenovo one is 18w. Just a bit of headroom in case the plug is cheap and burns out under load.

Smart devices these days can be very picky about what chargers you use, and if they intend to be left plugged in, they would surely only expect you to use the original? Also a bit puzzled as to where you are getting the information that this lenovo one is 18w. 18w is the lowest fast-charge around these days that is usually archived by 6V - 3A, 9v - 2A, or 12v - 1.5A. The charger in the picture states it is 20v - 1.5A which is 30 watts. If it needs up to that, then anything below such as 25 watts like you mentioned likely will not be enough. Even if the voltage was still 20.

Using a regular extension is certainly the best option. 3rd party supplies could also void the warranty.

Soldato
Smart devices these days can be very picky about what chargers you use, and if they intend to be left plugged in, they would surely only expect you to use the original? Also a bit puzzled as to where you are getting the information that this lenovo one is 18w. 18w is the lowest fast-charge around these days that is usually archived by 6V - 3A, 9v - 2A, or 12v - 1.5A. The charger in the picture states it is 20v - 1.5A which is 30 watts. If it needs up to that, then anything below such as 25 watts like you mentioned likely will not be enough. Even if the voltage was still 20.

Using a regular extension is certainly the best option. 3rd party supplies could also void the warranty.
Might have miss read the picture information but I thought I saw 12V 1.5A. But if it is 20V 1.5A then it is a 30w charger. Just need to get something equal or more. Again not the hardest.

There is no harm in trying off the rainforest ones and if it is incompatible as you said it can be returned for free and get refunded.

Associate
Might have miss read the picture information but I thought I saw 12V 1.5A. But if it is 20V 1.5A then it is a 30w charger. Just need to get something equal or more. Again not the hardest.

There is no harm in trying off the rainforest ones and if it is incompatible as you said it can be returned for free and get refunded.

Well, given the OP said this:
I really dont know the first thing about power bricks, voltages, amps etc etc.

I would advice strongly against getting a third party supply. You have to have some understanding of them when buying. Especially things like polarity or you could destroy the product, not just find out it is incompatible. I found this out once many years ago by getting the correct charger and voltage, but not knowing about polarity and it made the device unusable. If you happen to know the pin diameter, then an extension of that is not so bad.

Soldato
Well, given the OP said this:

I would advice strongly against getting a third party supply. You have to have some understanding of them when buying. Especially things like polarity or you could destroy the product, not just find out it is incompatible. I found this out once many years ago by getting the correct charger and voltage, but not knowing about polarity and it made the device unusable. If you happen to know the pin diameter, then an extension of that is not so bad.
Polarity on a barrel connector? Are you talking about if the Lenovo one has some special way of connecting the barrel connector? I am pretty certain that is an industrial standard. But even if Lenovo DC voltage is swapped, and you get a standard barrel connector connecting to the laptop, it won’t cause damage. You get no power. Please don’t scare monger.

Associate
Polarity on a barrel connector? Are you talking about if the Lenovo one has some special way of connecting the barrel connector? I am pretty certain that is an industrial standard..
If only! Most DC barrel connectors are negative on the outside. In the past, it was common to see negative inside. Both still exist, and aren't always clearly marked. There is no standard.

Back
Top Bottom