Can I get a laptop that isn't crap for under £100?

Hey all.
I need a laptop to tune my ECU, which involves sitting in the car with it.
I currently have one I bought used probably 4 or 5 years ago (i3, 4GB ram) for another purpose but it is painfully slow, which is likely due to the terrible hard drive. I would upgrade this, but it seems of little use since 60-70 mins of battery life is extremely frustrating, even with a 12v car charger to help. The glossy screen is horrific outside too!

Looking on Ebay there are used low end laptops with an SSD such as HP Stream that might work well? 8h battery life would mean I could focus my bad language on tuning the car rather than watching the laptop battery life!

Any opinions? :).

Associate
I bought a Panasonic toughbook CF-19 years ago , was a reasonable spec i5 4gb ram matt touchscren display , lots of ports , battery lasts for hours and i've never replaced it. You can pick them up for next to nothing these days and are perfect for automotive diagnostics and ecu mapping, makes my Snap on Solus Pro look like a fisher price toy.

Soldato
I bought a cheap Lenovo (circa £120 IIRC) for the same purpose, I wouldn't bother again..I now have a laptop I can literally use for TunerStudio alone, anything else just makes it chug. I'd have preferred to spend a bit more and be able to use it for other things too when needed.

Associate
I find those Panasonic toughbooks to be way under performance I have quite a few of them laying about but they are ok for what there intended use is. You can get them pretty cheap on ebay but make sure the BIOS isn't locked.

Back
Top Bottom